How about Aladdin kerosene lanterns?

Kirk

Enlightened
Hey All!
I bought an Aladdin kerosene lantern a few years back to use for power outtages. I bought the Aladdin because it uses a mantle, like a Coleman, but requires no pumping and makes absolutely no noise. It's bright (60 watt equivalent), and one fueling lasts about 8-10 hours. The tank, stand, and chimney are made of clear glass, the burner is brass and the whole thing stands about 25" tall. Our house is full of antique furniture and this lamp fits in great; it stays out all the time.
Kirk

Brock

Flashaholic
They are great lights, and it is amazing the heat they put out, I would guess maybe 300w to 500w, not good in summer heat, but fine in winter. Jut make sure you don't have it to close to the ceiling or you'll end up with a black mark right above it (unless your using ultra pure oil).

Al

Enlightened
Got a couple of Aladdins myself about 30 years ago ... they work great. Use the best grade kero you can find. I believe the heat output at a safe burn level is about 4000 BTU

Kirk

Enlightened
The directions say to use only a good grade of kerosene. I'm using "ultra-pure" lamp oil because I can't stand the stink of kerosene. I read somewhere recently that someone using ultra-pure oil had a "puddling" problem around the base of the wick (I guess just below where it burns?). Any of you have any problems with pure or ultra-pure oil? Kerosene is just plain nasty!
Kirk

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I used an Aladdin kerosene heater/cooker for a few winter seasons -- I don't remember the smell being too bad as long as the wick was kept trimmed and burning with a blue flame..I bought 5 gallon cans of kerosene from a paint supply store, so I don't think it was the "ultra-pure" stuff..
Used about a 1 gallon per 24 hours heating a 20 x 20 ft. apx. room, and cooking, while the snow piled up outside the double glass doors..even with a window slighly open, the place was warm..mine says "Made in Iran" - are they still? Where is a good place to get that lamp?

Kirk

Enlightened
The local Ace Hardware carries mantles and chimneys; don't know about whole lamp assemblies. I believe the main parts are made in USA. The chimneys are made in China and my mantles were made in Yugoslavia or Hungary.
Kirk

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
We use rgular kerosene lamps for light, the ones with just a wick. We do use an Aladin on occasion, when the extra light is needed, but have found that it can get carried away and flare up. Aside from the danger it often ruins the chimney and the mantle. So my caveat, and that of others who use them, don't leave them unattended while lit.
The Ace in Duluth, MN used to carry the complete lamps. you might ask at your local AH and see if they can order them. The other alternative is the simple oil/kerosene lamp, much less expensive, widely available and safer.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used any, but I remember seeing oderless kerosene for sale in the past. May help on the smell problem. TX

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
In my experience, I have two Aladdins and they both have served me well over the past 15 years. I use nothing other than 100% pure Kero based lamp oil. It is sold at the local candle shop which stocks not only candles, but a variety of oil burning lamps. They carry it by the gallon, and I almost always have 2 or three gallons on standby as we lose power up here quite frequently, especially over the last 5 years. At one point, during a 11 inch rainfall week, we had no power for four days and the Aladdins were doing double duty, running at least six to 8 hours an evening, and we even slept with one going, planted firmly on the tile floor, in such a manner that our "klutzy katz" wouldn't knock it over. I have one brass base and the other is aluminum as I didn't trust glass due to possible breakage on our ceramic tiled floors. Never had a problem with soot or fouled chimney/wick at all. Gotta keep that wick trimmed for the best possible, bluest flame. The lamp oil to which I refer is labled "Ultra Glow" and is crystal clear as spring water. I think that the worst you could do to these lamps is use "service station quality" kero. I found that it burns very sooty and unevenly.

Just love having those Aladdins, ready to serve.

Ed.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
my father in law has about 8-10 oil lamps on his entertainment center that he collects. he's picked them up at auctions over the years.

he says they're antiques and he saw the same exact lamps priced around $68 in antique stores.

don't know what brand they are, but now i will ask.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had an Aladdin mantle kerosene lamp for over 30 years now; it's part of the household emergency kit, tested once or twice a decade. It's a good reliable tool to have available.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 3D Epieon and a 12-pack of cells is my most-trusted light. I'm afraid in a real outage, though, it would mostly serve to let me light my 60 candlepower Aladdin kerosene mantle lamp.

Lots of info at http://www.aladdinknights.org

Great source http://www.oillampman.com . I visited this guy a few weeks ago while on vacation in Maggie Valley, NC. Neat shop, just a garage and the proprietor...with a few sheds with all the lights in it. Not exactly retail paradise, and it's hard to get across what you want since he knows the stuff so well. But, I took my time and got what I was looking for.

The Aladdin (Genie 3) puts anything else I have to shame. I doubt my 50 W spotlight lights a room any brighter, and the Aladdin will run about 12 hours on the 32oz. fuel it holds.

2500 BTU of heat is claimed. It's quite radiant, you can feel the IR from a yard away pretty easy.

Lamplight Farms Lamp Oil is a great fuel for it, and easily available at WalMart for $3 per 96oz. or direcr from http://www.lamplightfarms.com. I wouldn't use their Ultra Pure in a lamp, personally. It's made for an oil candle.

The only time it stinks even on K1 kero is right after you put it out. I recommend cranking the wick down to a bare minimum of flame before cupping your hand and blowing over the top to put it out. That reduces the evaporation area.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, forgot to mention, get a good pair of dark sunglasses or something else (light filter, welding goggle?) you can look at the mantle with. You have to periodically check it for black spots (wick too high) and it kinda hurts to look directly at it.

Probably a good item for those of us with luxeon flashlights too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I have several Aladdin lamps, a model 10 and 2 11's. Mostly I've picked these up cheap at flea markets and refinished them by stripping the chrome and polishing the brass.

They've served me well but as others have mentioned, don't leave them unattended. I once set one on my kitchen table, under a hanging stained chandlier - 15 minutes later there were several cracked glass panels in the fixture - expensive mistake! - they put out a lot of heat.

They can smell some but that happens mostly during the first minute or so after their lit - after their hot there isn't much, if any order. I usually light them outdoors and let them warm before bringing them in.

Al

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, gotta watch what's over that chimney. Mine will ignite paper within about 4 inches of the top, and you'd better not have anything inflammable closer than 4 feet or so.

Not that I'd really recommend seeing it, but the new movie "Hunted" does have a couple of scenes where an Aladdin lamp is clearly visible for 5-10 seconds or so. It's not like my Genie 3, though...shorter chimney, and a font that's more like the 1980s Kadaan lamps. Band of squares about an inch high, tapering above and below that, clear glass.

The flashlights featured seem to be Stinger HPs. Nice lights, but doesn't keep the FBI guys using them from getting knifed to death.

Short Circuit

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered 2 more Aladdin lamps. I have been using them for 45 years now, and the only problem I have ever had was with the LOXON glass chimney, I replaced them with the heel-less adaptor/chimney setup and have not had a broken chimney for 10+ years.

Light output is best with water clear K-1 kerosene, about what you would expect from a 40-60 watt incandesent bulb.