Favorite 2C and 2D flashlight?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I only have two 2C lights, both M*glights. One is an Original SNII and it is my Fav.

In 2D again M*g is it, only this time with an FM SMO reflector, MC Glass lense, MC BP slug and a WA01274 driven by 7AA NimH.

If you were to allow 3D, hands down it would be my EL Starlux!

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Well, not to be a smart @$$, but my favorite 2d SIZED light is the EL Tri Star Phazer. It is exactly the same length, but much, MUCH better in output.

SS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm embarrised to say this, but I have to go with Maglite my opinion says. Even with the terrible beam quality issues with the standard reflector and bulbs, at least the flashlight itself is well made and reliable. If only the Maglite body came with options for a nice Lux III, textured reflector, and HA-3 I think it would be ideal--as the fit-finish is satisfactory and all of mine have been 100 percent reliable.

I went the more expensive route with Elektrolumens in the past (literally over a dozen purchases), and had miserable results in terms of reliability (over half of them had serious issues after the intitial break-in period) and poor quality control (about 3/4 of them had fit-finish/tool marks/scratched optics/ etc problems straight out of the box). The unreliable ones have since left my hands (scrap heap), and the ones with the worst quality control problems (that still work 100 percent reliable) I've given to friends--those that work 100 percent AND have the least quality control problems I've held on to so far.

At this point, the Maglite body is at least VERY reliable and reasonably well made, and makes a good modding platform. The only other C/D flashlight that peaks some interest is the Tektite series, but they seem ridiculously high priced for what they offer my opinion says. Aside from the price, the thin laser-like optics don't really interest me on the Tektite, or the new Infiniton Lightwave lights. I don't like throw only beams. If Pelican came out with a C/D aluminum flashlight with a quality reflector along the lines of a super large PM6 reflector, I'd give it a try. Likewise, if Surefire ever expands beyond the tactical market and offers C/D I'd definitely give it a try (I've never had serious issues with a Surefire, just the occasional minor problem).

I seriously wish some companies would come out with QUALITY MADE C/D flashlights that also have good beam quality and tough finish. The C/D lights seem to be an afterthought--there is nothing out there my opinion says that fits me perfectly in C/D.

eyeQ

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I only have two 2C lights, both M*glights...In 2D again M*g

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you put asterisks in the words 'Maglights' and 'Mag'? Or is it a board glitch?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Maglites rule, especially on the 2D form-factor (not beam quality)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite with Lambertian EverLed for both 2C and 2D. Plenty of light for most uses, long run time, reasonably good throw, and a very smooth and wide side spill. The stock reflector works very well with a high dome Lux.

Stream

Enlightened
How about the 2D Dorcy? It has a textured reflector. The D cell Dorcys are similarly priced to the D cell Mags, but are they inferior in quality and brightness?

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Stream said:
How about the 2D Dorcy? It has a textured reflector. The D cell Dorcys are similarly priced to the D cell Mags, but are they inferior in quality and brightness?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't tried a 2D Dorcy....but my 2AA, 1AAA, and 1AA Dorcys are all inferior in quality to a 2AA or 2AAA Maglite my opinion says. Yet, they are usually priced higher than Maglite.

No reliability issues to report, all my Dorcys work fine, its just the fit and finish quality is lacking.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
2D mag for their modibility flexiblity and shape fits well in my hand. 2C, I don't have any other experience other than Mag2C. But I'd like to find a nice 2C that has a smalelr head...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a rayovac roughneck 2D that is focusable that I like best of my 2C/D lights. It has a better grip to it, a flange to keep it from rolling and is nearly waterproof I am betting.
Another advantage is it is lighter than a maglight I suspect and dropping it goes clunk instead of BINK! It even has a pull out hanging ring. I have thought about modding it for about 15 LEDs with a boost circuit there is room inside for the boost circuit I think.

scudinc

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
eyeQ said:
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I only have two 2C lights, both M*glights...In 2D again M*g

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you put asterisks in the words 'Maglights' and 'Mag'? Or is it a board glitch?

[/ QUOTE ]
The error lies between his keyboard and his chair.

Stream

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
I have a rayovac roughneck 2D that is focusable that I like best of my 2C/D lights. It has a better grip to it, a flange to keep it from rolling and is nearly waterproof I am betting.
Another advantage is it is lighter than a maglight I suspect and dropping it goes clunk instead of BINK! It even has a pull out hanging ring. I have thought about modding it for about 15 LEDs with a boost circuit there is room inside for the boost circuit I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the beam quality and brightness like on the stock version, is the reflector textured?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The * is purely my doing eyeQ. It is a statement against the company, not the product.

I forgot about a couple of 2D and 3D that do good beams and seem to be quite reliable. I speak of course of the Rayovac Industrial line. Sure, they are plastic. But they have somewhat self-cleaning slide switches, and even my oldest ones have yet to fall apart or quit working.

If you go out to buy a new one, TRY YOUR DAMNDEST to get a made in USA model (Ace Hardware is a good place to try). The USA model still uses a spring to hold the bulb which allows for some tweaking of the beam. The made in Thailand model uses a hard plastic holder. I put a PR based 2X5MM LED bulb in my Thai.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags for life here......fell in love with them when i was 10, then later I found out they had a Xenon bulb for the 3-D and 2-D's. the beam of the mag bulbs are so tight I almost thought I dies and went to heaven. The Krypton bulbs are just crap, but for all those who say stock mags suck, at least try them with xenon bulb AND properly center the bulb. You'll be pleasantly suprised.

Oh did I mention mags are the only cheap stock lights that I could drop from 3rd floor pf a building to the first and still have the light working?

Nick

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wish the Mags weren't so long. For my car, I want a light that is no longer than 9.5 inches, the length of the top well in my center console. The only Mag C or D that will fit is the 2C.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Paul_in_Maryland said:
I just wish the Mags weren't so long. For my car, I want a light that is no longer than 9.5 inches, the length of the top well in my center console. The only Mag C or D that will fit is the 2C.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

I think that Mags should be 2-3" shorter (I know, they need the length for the spare bulb, focusing mechanism and deep reflector).

I guess My favorite 2-c would be the mag. It does feel pretty nice in the hand.

Bob

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two Mag 2D lights, both modded of course. Great switch that never fails even after modding, UCL glass available and the large mass sinks heat away very well.

Considering the size, they are my long throw and brightest lights (R2H at 800mA and WX1S LuxV at 700mA) There can be some improvements with beam quality, output etc but they do something I need them to do...work when I flip the switch! It is a shame that other large lights have switch problems... it is the little things that bite you in the end.