Solar Powered Bird Feeder

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I just couldn't resist this one. It's been on sale at Ace Hardware for the last couple days at $19.99. Feeder has four solar cells, two NiCads, and three amber SMD lights. I'll probably pop some regular AA's (2) in it tonight just to see how it looks. I'm not sure why I want to provide the raccoons and possums light for their midnight raids. Actually, if it looks nice I might just use the top as a light and not use it as a feeder at all. Here's a pic.

BirdFeeder.jpg

Geoff

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Update: Just tried it out with a couple regular AA's. Not very bright. It would, however, make a pretty decent night/mood light. It's not really bright enough for reading. I guess I'll add this one to my "silly light" list.

Geoff

Leeoniya

Enlightened
correct me if i'm wrong, but i dont think birds need the illumination at night when they tend to sleep. and bats use sonar. what exactly is it designed to feed?

Leon

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
ah shucks, I thought someone had invented a solar powered bird and made a feeder for it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Ok, if you've got a backyard area that's lit by those solar powered stake lights, I can see how this could make a nice accent light to add to the effect.

Pajamas

Newly Enlightened
Swap out the LEDs with 26K mcd LEDs and then replace the rechargeable batts with higher mAh ones - say freshly charged 1800 mAh.

I did that to my solar ground lights and it made them much brighter and longer lasting. In fact the stake lights I had bought had 400mAh and 550mAh Ni-Cd batts originally.

Or you can just send me the bird feeder and I'll add it to my solar light collection in the yard... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Not a bad idea, Pajamas, about changing the LEDs. The little SMDs are pretty anemic, as are the 700 mAh Ni-Cds. But, I would hate to ruin the night vision of my wild critters. You know, this idea of slapping lights on totally unrelated items like bird feeders and water bottles seems to be increasing. I say full speed ahead.

Geoff

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife bought one a couple of months ago. It looks nice at night with the soft glow in the yard.

Pajamas

Newly Enlightened
Here's an example of the solar lights I modded.

Normal exposure

Under exposed

You can see the difference. The brighter one on the right had a 26k mcd LED in it. Both are upgraded with 1800mAh NIMHs (originally they had 500mAh NiCds.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Further Update: While this odd product continues to be a decent accent light, it stinks as a bird feeder. I had not anticipated that the base which serves as the perching platform is either not quite wide enough or just too slippery for the birds to easily stand on it. They are opting for my other feeders. Maybe they will adapt, or maybe I'll have to modify the base a bit.

Geoff

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a birdfeeder that had a slippery steel perch. I wrapped it with black electrical tape and the birds could grip it very well after that.