i think i'm in love

Leeoniya

Enlightened
i think i\'m in love

i have always loathed LCD monitors. they were always blurry, lacked definition, their pixels were the size of tomatoes, they left trail shadows behind moving ANYTHING and such, and were quite dim. i always wondered how people could sacrifice so much quality for a smaller package size for roughly 3 times the cost of a higher quality CRT.

yesterday i did some work at a client's office and finally think i found something worth looking at.

enter the Viewsonic VP171B.

8ms response time (!!!), 500:1 contrast ratio. 300 brightness. 0.264mm pixel pitch.

vs17.jpg

this thing is incredible in every respect and only consumes 33W as opposed to my current viewsonic 17" CRT (about 75W).

on pricewatch they go for 274 lowest and about 310-330 average. definitely worth it now.

i'll be looking into getting one ASAP.

Leon.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: i think i\'m in love

With my low vision problems, lcds are easier for me to see too. I never bought a flat panel, just use laptops. I may buy one from dell with my employee discount one day. At work we have dell systems with flat panels and it is nice.

spock

Enlightened

bought a sceptre naga x20sv(20")at sams club auction site for $427 and love it. they also have the 19" and 17" at times. go to sams club and click on auctions. when on the auction site, use their search feature for "sceptre". if you decide to bid, you must register at the auction site, not at the sams club site. two separate locations.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oooh, nice monitor. I am waiting for my Sony FD Trinitron to go pop (six years and still ticking with a beautiful image) and that's the candidate to replace it.

I too belong to the 'never-impressed-by-LCDs' crowd until the current generation of LCDs, and most importantly they absolutely MUST have and use a DVI interface. The nicest LCD in the world is useless if you cable it to an analog connector - they never look as good, even on premium video cards, as when you hook it up to the DVI interface (try it with your card of choice on a analog+DVI LCD).

Betcha client is using DVI. Check it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

My vision is compromosed these days as well. While I like the crisper text of lcds, their native resolution tends to make things very small. If you resize them then the individual pixel values have to be interpolated making text far more blurry then at the LCDs native resolution. CRT monitors don't have this problem. I usually like to run at 800x600 or 1024x768 and the native resolutions of the LCD monitors I've been seeing at work are 1280x1024 or even 1600x1200. So for now at home, I have a very good Viewsonic CRT with a trinitron tube.

[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
With my low vision problems, lcds are easier for me to see too. I never bought a flat panel, just use laptops. I may buy one from dell with my employee discount one day. At work we have dell systems with flat panels and it is nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got an LG "flatron" 17" that I use as the second monitor for my powerbook, it's beautiful. it cost upwards of $400, but for that amount of money you could really get a spectacular LCD display. It's nice to hear that the price for good contrast and speed is coming down.

Anybody hear about that nano-tube display that motorola just demoed? 5" only, but it's a proof of concept type thing and not a product yet. A whole array of nanotubes is aligned on a flat plane under the phosphors and when you turn the current on to any one of them it acts as an electron gun for an individual phosphor. Since they use the same phosphors as your TV the picture should be as good or better than the best CRT's today. And they are predicting that the cost of a 40" one would be around $400. Which is pretty remarkable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope that makes it into the mainstream at that price before my current batch of monitors and TV's dies so I can get one of those /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Leeoniya ...

If you look at the apple displays (all of them have NATIVE DVI Interface) you will "fall in love again" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .. just have a look http://www.apple.com/displays/ ... and close your eyes.. when you see the prices /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .. here are the specs http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html ... true.. response time are not as good... but the design is GrEaT

Leeoniya

Enlightened

i use too much technical software to ever fall in love with apple to tell you the truth. and the whole one button thing never did it for me. in CAD you really need 2 buttons and the wheel, at the very least.

i'm running an all-in-wonder 9800pro 128MB (essentially a radeon 9800pro with a whole lotta extra stuff like a TV tuner/video capture) it uses DVI. i actually have to use a DVI-to-analog adapter to use it with my 17" viewsonic CRT.

Leon

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was a huge fan of the Apple displays in the past. When they first came out with the flatpanels they were the best ones being made. Now though I think you can find 3rd party ones that are just as good using the DVI interface.

The cheap LCD's are not nearly as nice, but if you're willing to spend $400 or more I think you can get one that compares nicely.

As far as the mouse, thats a non-issue. My mac has a wireless mouse with 6 buttons and a scroll wheel. It just didn't ship with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif even without a 2 button mouse all contextual menu's are available with a 1 button mouse by holding the control key down when clicking. Since you usually have your left hand on the keyboard when your right is on the mouse this is no great hardship if you find yourself with nothing available but the stock single button mouse.

The All-in-wonder cards don't have Mac drivers. But all the regular ATI and nVidia graphics cards do. I use a video to firewire bridge to record video myself. And it and a fancy graphics card is still cheaper than the all-in-wonder card /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Be nice if they supported it anyway though.

Greta

Flashaholic

Leeoniya... please read CPF's Rules & FAQ's regarding hotlinking images... (link in the top menubar).

In addition, please read This thread... (link at the top of the page under the CPF logo, regarding avatars)... that mentions images hosted by sites that try to dump cookies on to our computers.

Then... please remove the image in your first post or make the proper adjustments.

Thank you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Leeoniya

Enlightened

i will as soon as i get home sasha. thanks. is my avatar too annoying or too big? i've had it for some time now with no complaints.

Latest posts