Flying with lights to China?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive had no problems flying with my surefires domestically, but I was wondering if anyone had any problems with the airport officials specifically flying to China. I will be flying out this Friday, and was wondering specifically about surefires and 123 lithium batteries. If anyone has experience, please post! Thanks!

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been a while since I've been there but you were always subject to "rule of the day". If they wanted to be a pain or wanted the item, they took it. Back then you had to declare all electronic goods going in; CD player, camera, etc.. I don't know how it is now. Perhaps it's getting better in the bigger cities since they are preping for the Olympics.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
-LT

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
That doesnt instil much confidence in me taking an $100+ flashlight... Anyone else have any recent experiences?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree and in fact would not take a high dollar light with me. I could probably justify cameras but then they are easily insured and more common so harder to single out as odd.

-LT

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not let them take a 100 dollar flashlight and keep it - not with out a fight

I would call the united states embassy in china or something

wei

Newly Enlightened
if you take your camera to China is OK, don't warry the custom,even your camera is expensive one, but if you take many cameras with you, custom may doubt you are a bootlegger unless you can prove you are a cameraman. this is an example. Generally, custom will not baffle you unless you are carrying something let them doubt yout motive, so don't warry about your light, they don't care it's worth $100 or $300 if it is a flashlight.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I fly with all sort of electronic goodies all the time to China in varioius cities, and never have any problems. Even E2D on board had never raised an eyebrow. In fact, some China airline still serve meals in less than 3 hours flight and use metalic utensils(knife/folk/spoon).

Enjoy your trip! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Dealing with border control agents in the developing world is like dealing with the TSA in the US: they'll steal/confiscate anything they would like for themselves.

Traveller beware.