Best alkaline batteries?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know which alkaline battery is the "best," performance-wise? Which brand is the strongest and longest-lasting? Are there significant differences between say, the "regular" alkalines and the "max" (Energizer) and "ultra" (Duracell) batteries?

I searched this "Batteries Included" section, but didn't find any information on this topic. If it has been covered before, please direct me to the right place. Thanks for any input.
smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flashfan:
Does anyone know which alkaline battery is the "best," performance-wise? Which brand is the strongest and longest-lasting? Are there significant differences between say, the "regular" alkalines and the "max" (Energizer) and "ultra" (Duracell) batteries?.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly based on a Consumer Reports test on AA alkalines, there is little differences between the name brands, ie Duracell, Energizer and the generic and cheaper brands such as Sanyo and Panasonic for regular AA alkaline batteries. Consumer Reports strongly suggests that you buy these batteries strictly on price.

According to the same report, the Duracell Ultras and the Energizer E2s do perform significantly better in high drain applications such as a camera flash. The Duracell Ultras are rated higher then the Energizer E2s in this regard. People in this forum have reported that for low or moderately drained devices such as LED flashlights, there is little difference in runtime between the regular alkalines and the "ultras."

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Last June I did some battery runtime test with time-lapse photos of UK4AA using 3 different batteries for fun and curiosity of knowing which battery lasts longer.

Three brands of AA alkaline batteries used are Rayovac Maximum, Duracell Coppertop, and Energizer.

Here's the result;

First Run:
Duracell - 3:15
Energizer - 4:40
Rayovac - 5:20

Second Run
Duracell - 3:55
Energizer - 4:55
Rayovac - 5:55

Third Run
Duracell - 4:05
Energizer - not included, run out of batteries
Rayovac - 5:55

Of the 3 brands of batteries Rayovac Maximum alkaline battery gives the longest runtime.

I'll try to do another run with more info like starting voltage and expiration date of batteries used soon as I get new ones.

- verge -

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those tests confirm my observations as well. Although not in flashlights but in other high-drain devices such as MP3 and CD players. Rayovacs are REALLY good batteries not only in performance but on your wallet too!!!!

But i'm starting to feel guilty, becuase these batteries are so cheap, that i'm starting to buy more of them and using up more too. Which may be good for me, but BAD BAD BAD for the planet. I'm waiting for just the right moment when NiMH batteries start to come down in price (which they already are). I know they don't work well in flashlights, but they work wonders in digital cams and portable devices as well. And if i ever was to use NiMH in flashlights, i wouldn't mind carrying dozens of backups just to save our planet...wouldn't you?

P.S. just how cheap are they? Here in San Diego in our Navy Commasary, i can get a 10 pack of AA Royovacs for 2.55- no tax.
grin.gif

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
Speaking of the Environment, does anybody recycle here? If not, what is the "right" way to dispose of them? I have a hungry Light Cannon that spits out 8 dead C's aweek...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Price of batteries from my nearest K-Mart;

Rayovac Maximum AA 12-pack $7.09 + 8.25% tax = $7.67

Rayovac Maximum AA 24-pack $10.39 + 8.25% tax = $11.25

Duracell Coppertop AA 8-pack $6.59 + 8.25 tax = $7.13

I forgot the price for Energizer AA but I think they are in the same price range as the Duracell Coppertop batteries.

I'm looking for internet store where I can buy those Rayovac Maximum batteries in bulk and probably cheaper than at K-Mart.

Price is good at cheapbatteries.com although I do not know their batteries' expiration date. Anyway... batteries don't get to live long on my bookshelf with my flashlights and seeing them shine just for the fun of it.

From all of my runtime tests with UK4AA, SL4AA, and TEC40 (using Rayovac, Energizer, and Duracell), Rayovac Maximum always come out first-place, Energizer second-place, and Duracell Coppertop far third-placer with the shortest runtime.

LEDagent.... Rayovac AA 10-pack for $2.55 and without tax is almost getting it for free or that $2.55 is just a donation.
grin.gif

lightuser... I'd like to have one of that Light Cannon too.

- verge -

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lightuser:
Speaking of the Environment, does anybody recycle here? If not, what is the "right" way to dispose of them? I have a hungry Light Cannon that spits out 8 dead C's aweek...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFAIK, Alkaline batteries do not contain any "toxic" chemicals and are safe to dispose of in your trash. There may be companies that recycle them out there. I'd check with your county dump and/or county recycling center to see if there is anything special that can be done with the dead alkalines. DON'T dispose of NiCads in the trash - bring them to RadioShack for recycling.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Test conducted by zbattery.com shows different result.

From http://www.zbattery.com/zbattery/batteryinfo.html
All test results shown below were obtained by running a modified continuos load test. The resistive load (see Ohms value) was applied to the battery until the cutoff voltage was reached (e.g. 0.75 volts). The battery was then allowed to rest for 15 minutes before the load was reapplied. This process was repeated until the battery fell below the cutoff voltage within 5 minutes of reapplying the load, at which time the test was terminated. [/UNQUOTE]

AvgWH = the average Watt-Hours for all batteries (your electric bill is based on this).

AA Energizer Alkaline = 3.001
AA Duracell Alkaline = 2.869
AA Rayovac Maximum Alkaline = 2.720

MinWH = the minimum Watt-Hours for any of the batteries tested.

AA Energizer Alkaline = 2.947
AA Duracell Alkaline = 2.760
AA Rayovac Maximum Alkaline = 2.682

MaxWH = the maximum Watt-Hours for any of the batteries tested.

AA Energizer Alkaline = 3.037
AA Duracell Alkaline = 3.107
AA Rayovac Maximum Alkaline = 2.747

According to their test AA Rayovac Maximum Alkaline lost to AA Energizer Alkaline and AA Duracell Alkaline.

Their test used a 10 ohms resistive value (what is that? a resistor or electronic device with known resistance value) while I used real flashlight.

My previous test is based on which battery provides UK4AA flashlight more burn time, so I just load them into flashlight without measuring voltage and current. I just set the camera to time-lapse capture and let it photograph the whole run taking pictures every 5 minutes. Those time-lapse photos with 'Date and Time' printed on every shot showed me which brand of battery burned longer, also beam throw, brightness, beam size and shape.

I'll do another test-run of those 3 brands of AA batteries. Gotta go to K-Mart.

- verge -

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi everyone! Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents especially since some of our test data was cited.

According to the tests on our web site (http://www.zbattery.com/zbattery/batteryinfo.html) the Duracell and Energizer consistantly test higher than any other brand. Although that test data is a little old and we have seen some serious improvements in battery chemistries, even in the last 2 years, we find this data still holds true.

According to recent tests, Duracell Ultra batteries and Energizer Titanium batteries are on par with each other. These of course are best used in high-drain applications.

In case you didn't know: Duracell is replacing all of their coppertop batteries with the original Ultra chemistry and the new Ultra's are the M3 technology, with even more capacity.

I think that if you compare this new change to the Rayovac's for instance you will see a much higher difference than you see now in our tests as these were conducted using standard coppertop batteries before the switch.

All in all, we find that when buying Duracell's or Energizer's the difference is miniscule, but when buying other brands, the differences start to show a little more. Of course, you pay more for the Duracell or Energizer, so the decision comes to, 'Do I want to replace more often, but save some money?'

Of course, we recommend the Gold Peak's, or the Motorola's, for the less expensive brands.

Questions? Please let me know.

"The Battery Guy"
Bryan - Zbattery.com
[email protected]

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the Duracell Coppertop info Bryan!
smile.gif

How would I know that I'm getting the newer Duracell Coppertop battery with the Ultra chemistry? Any special marking or 'Expiration Date' marking I should look for?

I'll surely do another run of those 3 brands of batteries. Now I really wish I have a laptop instead of this big tower. I'll find a way, even if I have to move my pc to the beam photo room.
grin.gif

- verge -

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Really the only way you can know is by buying the batteries from a source that has high turnover, such as Wal-Mart. The switch was made on the AA's about 2-4 months ago. Unfortunately they don't have any unique markings. The only way you can really tell is by making sure the company carries the M3 for the Ultra and you can be pretty confident you are getting the old Ultra in the standard coppertops.

I hope this helps.

Bryan
Zbattery.com
[email protected]

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Got some AAA batteries from K-Mart to use for my favorite 'Arc-AAA LE' keychain flashlight.

8-pack Rayovac Maximum AAA Alkaline (Dec 2007)
4-pack Energizer Max AAA Alkaline (2008)
4-pack Duracell Coppertop AAA Alkaline (2008)
4-pack Duracell Ultra AAA Alkaline (2008)
6-pack American Fare AAA Alkaline (2006)

I set up my time-lapse camera and loaded Arc-AAA LE (got 2 of them
grin.gif
) with Rayovac and Energizer AAA batteries. The Arc-AAA LE with 'Rayovac Maximum AAA Alkaline' is still running strong after 9 hrs while my Arc-AAA LE with 'Energizer Max AAA Alkaline' drastically dropped its brightness after 7 1/2 hours and turned to 'glimmer mode' before finally dying an hour later.

Duracell Coppertop AAA vs Duracell Ultra AAA next card.

Rayovac Maximum AAA vs American Fare AAA also coming.

- verge -

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m not sure about all sizes or applications but in the Arc I also found the Ray-o vac`s run longer for some reason...cheaper too.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My Arc-AAA LE with Rayovac is still shining even after 14 hours of continous run , though not as bright as the earlier 12 hours, while my other Arc loaded with Energizer started to dim after 7.5 hours and reach blackout a half-hour later.

I can't explain it and I only have photos for proof, Rayovac gives my Arc-AAA LE more burntime than other brands of alkaline batteries. And cheaper too. Yeah!

At this rate of burntime I'll do another Arc-AAA vs Photon II brightness and battery runtime match.

- verge -

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the Rays put out their mill-amps slower...so it`s not as bright at first but runs longer?

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I think Ken has a point. The Rayovacs probably are no good with High Drain applications but better at handling low drain. With LED torches, the drain will be low. Energizer and Duracell make it a point to advertise that their batteries are for High Drain devices.

So depending on your application, say a digital camera (high drain), Energizer E2 would work best. With Low Drain Applications like LED torches, Rayovacs work best. No scientific data, just a guess from their advertising.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It's funny - the Rayovac AAA's I just picked up have a little sticker in the package that says "Lasts as long as standard Duracell & Energizer"
confused.gif

Not a very enthusiastic advertising campaign!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The manufacturer showed little confidence to their product when they say they're just gunning to be equal to the other named brands, or playing the underdog.
confused.gif
frown.gif

Do you have the Rayovac Maximum AAA Alkaline batteries? What's the expiration date?

When I did time-lapse photos of flashlight/battery runtime, it showed Rayovac Maximum AA & AAA Alkaline batteries lasting much longer than Duracell and Energizer alkaline batteries.

Btw, can I consider the filament bulb (UKE4AA, SL4AA, and TEC40) flashlight a high-drain application?

- verge -

D

**DONOTDELETE**

These are Rayovac Maximums AAA's with a Dec 2008 date stamp. I have seen several reviews where these have outperformed Energizers and Duracells in low drain led lights.

Someone probably has a real definition of low drain vs high drain. My personal experience with AA batteries is that in a device that depletes standard AA's in 6-8 hours the Duracell Ultras and Lithium AA's last much longer. From this I might conclude that a device that drains a standard AA battery in 6 hours is a high drain device, but it's not that clear cut. I have also seen some comparisons that seem to contradict this result
confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't have anything to offer as far as flat out performance is concerned but having been a diehard Duracell fan for many years I have noticed a change in this product. When I have performance fall off in a set of batteries I always test them. Almost invariably across the last year or so I find one of the cells has failed and the rest are quite useable. This never seemed to be the case in the past so now I'm begining to try Eveready Energizers. I'll let all know how it goes after a while.