Windows XP - How Do I...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
...configure the browser so that it continues to create separate little tabs at the bottom, such as when visiting multiple web pages? Lots of times I need to jump back and forth between several pages when comparing stuff, but after FIVE tabs, the sixth one suddenly causes all of them to collapse and stack up onto themselves into ONE tab, with a number on it to indicate how many pages it contains. Now to go back and forth requires me to click on the stacked tab and then a drop-UP menu appears, one of the selections upon which I have to click to get to that desired page.

The computer at work will create tabs endlessly side by side, even until each tab contains just a single letter on it. I would not go that far in real use of course, but this just tells me it is possible, yet I do not know how to configure it this way on my home computer.

Any suggestions? And TIA...

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
right-click on a blank area of the Taskbar.
Choose Properties...
De-select the checkbox that says "Group similar Taskbar buttons"

Voila. Now you can alt-tab your way or click your way among zillions of teeny shrunken buttons with ... in their names.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[edit] At least I hope this is what you were asking for. And I do hope it works. I've got my XP set to use the Classic interface, so it's a bit different behavior sometimes.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right click your taskbar, and select "properties." Then uncheck "Group similar taskbar buttons."

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend either Firefox or if you are too addicted to Windows programs, try out SlimBrowser. Both are free and much better than IE. Slimbrowser is IE just with a bunch of handy features such as Tabbed Browsing. Makes things so much easier.

Cameron

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've never been fond of the "taskbar grouping," and turn it off on every XP workstation that I use.

At work, I literally need 20-30 windows open at once, so I can't afford for all my web applications to "stack," nor can I afford for 5-6 windows each for 2 seperate management sessions that run under the same application to "stack." It's faster to scan the task bar once than twice.

Thankfully, that feature is not an option on my home 2k Pro workstation.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use FireFox with Tabbed Browsing, You will forget windows browser for ever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif hehehe... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
you wont need to search for FireFox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Charlie for bringing this up and thanks binky and others for showing how to do it! This has plagued me for months and now it's cleared up!!!

d'mo

Enlightened
Charlie, if you want to add tabs that start with firefox, you can add them to your home url by adding the | character between each url. Everything after the firt (your start page) will appear as a tab under the toolbars.