Gun-mounted light for HK USP?

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi all - I have a relative who just e-mailed me about flashlight info (I've got that rep in the family) but I'm stumped. Don't know a thing about weaponlights, and he's looking for lights that mount on a HK USP .45 (full-size). It has a rail on it.

So, what are the options? I tried a search, but so far all I've come up with are the Surefire X200, P115C, and their Nitrolon series, and the Streamlight M3Tactical Illuminator.

I'm really out of my depth on this one - any suggestions? I told him to also consider a separate, handheld light, and techniques for using it, and that he could get a lot more light for the money if it weren't gun-mounted.

And finally, he said he'd also considered a laser instead of a light - any thoughts on those? (I think the laser was more of a passing thought on his part).

Thanks all
Dave

Jefff

Enlightened
Laser Devices INC. BLAST 2 light and laser combo.. Excellent choice IMO or Universal Las/Tac Light for the H&K USP
www.laserdevices.com
21010012ma.jpg
210125c24kv.jpg

litho123

Enlightened
Hi Dave -

There are a few g-mounted lights as noted above. Because of the proprietary rail design on the USP, not many companies have designed lights for this gun.

I have the original UTL that was made for HK. I thought it was a great light for my USP until I found CPF. Now I have a surefire G2Z / C2 / M2 style light and practice shooting with a hand held light. Finding a holster to accomodate a g-mounted light was a real challenge.

You do get more bang for your buck with a hand held light...plus you can use the light without drawing your weapon.

Lasers don't help you to identify who the person is...be it friend or foe.

If they don't want to spend the money on a Surefire light, and this is for their house, a Mag2C with 3x123's and the Carley 1057 with a (optional: LDF-coated) UCL lens makes for a nice inexpensive defensive light.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my point of view -

Laser is a bad idea. It teaches you to rely on the laser and not on your sight, which works just as well as Murphy isn't paying attention. I've seen some people shoot very well with the laser, but once the battery dies, it's game over and their skills disappear completely.

Pistol-mounted light is good in some situations, but bad for a whole lot of others. Here's a scenerio that comes to mind - an unknown noise outside. Grab the HK, flip on the light and start investigating. Hear a noise to the left, spin to aim and find a child that you're now aiming for. You're breaking the "Never aim at something you don't intend to shoot" rule. I can think of a few times that a rail-mounted light would be nice, but for the most part, I'd rather stick with a seperate light, like an Aleph or an L4. .

Jefff

Enlightened
good point .. but even with a seperate light in hand using either harries or rogers stance when inspecting or engauging a threat or possible threat in low light.. your muzzel will be pointed or should be pointed in the vinicinty off area anyway If you have went to guns .. the thing is not to shoot at everything ya point at.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but have your weapon at the ready until you disclose and identify the threat.. with a under barrel weapon light you have both hands on the weapon and can stablize it more so .. but yeah it is a pain to find a good duty holster for them ..

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duty gear, well, that's another thing entirely..I'm guiding my response towards what I'm guessing to be a civvy handgun owner. .

DaveT

Enlightened
Yep, civilian gun owner, so no need for a duty belt/holster.
Thanks for input guys, this all helps.
Dave

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, accessory rails are generally not designed for a Thor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

slick228

Newly Enlightened
SureFire now offers a rail adapter for a full size H&K USP, MR09. More information can be found on page 37 of SureFire's 2005 Tactical Catalog. With this adapter, you will be able to mount the X200A, X200B, and other lights that are compatible with the universal rail. I have the MR08 adapter on my H&K USP Compact and it is very firm fitting and solid.

I think it would be a good idea to have your firearm outfitted with a weapon light and use a handheld as your primary searchlight. I agree with ACMarina, I would hate to point a loaded firearm at a friend or family member. That would be a daunting experience.