Chevy Fuel Pump help???

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have done Ford pump-in-tank pumps before.

But have never done a Chevy. A 19?? (if I knew I forgot) Astro van. I may find that the fuel pump cut-off switch got activated (any idea where it would be?) but may end up pulling the tank to do the pump.

Has anyone had experience of this sort? It is liable to really mess up my Sunday!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Well, it weren't the in-tank pump...

A fuse was blown. A 10Amp, then a 20 then a 30. TOUGH! Wiring!

We had the tank out however, and it wasn't TOO hard.

It isn't fixed yet. With a relay pulled that also controls starter, no fuse blows. Fuse is in position ECM-I... could very well be a wiped out 'puter.

But it ran fine right up until parked Friday night.

We're gonna put the Super-brains (at least in their own minds!) on it tomorrow. I am wooped!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
remember the pump is run through a relay.
did you test the pump when you had the tank out?
also the connector through the pump/sender assy likes to melt and can short.the plug on the relay and the relay itself is known to burn up.i fixed a s10 blazer a neigbor got real cheap due to intermittant stalling and fuse blow.
a trip to the junkyard with a pair of wire cutters,and 5 min with a soldering gun and shrink tubing fixed it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My truck has a weird problem also.... the fuel guage seems to work but never gots above about 3/8 the guage. I think I need a new pump sending unit.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
In the case of this particular (and many Chevies I'm told) 1993 Astro Van, the Cruise Control is what caused all the trouble. Apparently Chevy products are notorious for this and fuel pump relay troubles.

Cruise is offline, but the truck runs great again!