• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired USL Switch Guard

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As part of the USL's ongoing evolution, the USL will now, by default, have a safety guard installed around the switch.

While a safety had been desired for quite some time, a workable solution had not been found until tvodrd stepped up to the plate in recent weeks. Not only did he design the switch, but he is also providing them, with black type II anodization, free of charge. We strongly urge everyone to consider the safety that this guard adds, and to choose to have one installed on their USL.

The guard has been discussed in the USL Field Test Thread, Pt. 3 & 4, in particular, see tvodrd's posts here. here, and here.

Since the guard does require some additional milling on the body, it is not designed to be removable. Not that it couldn't be removed later, if you wanted, but the switch would then be loose, and I suspect the milled aluminum underneath the guard won't look very good.

Here are a few pictures (thanks for allowing the hot links, Larry!):

site1069.jpg

site1070.JPG

site1071.JPG

site1072.JPG

The brass rings shown in the photos were added to "dress 'em up". Whether the ring will be included has yet to be determined.

Since the guard was not part of the package prior to payments, everyone has the option to decline. If you do NOT want a switch guard on your USL, please post a request in this thread.

If you want the guard, you do not need to post - it will be included for everyone unless we are notified otherwise.

We are asking everyone that does not want a guard, to post their request in this thread by 05/18/2005, so that work on the bodies will not be delayed.

The following list will be updated as needed:

USLPaymentInfo-All.png

The values in the Switch Guard column mean the following:

YES (uppercase) - the buyer is aware of the switch guard AND has either A) provided confirmation that they want the switch or B) has NOT posted a request for no switch guard.

NO - the buyer has requested no switch guard.

yes (lowercase & CPF ID is also highlighted) - the buyer may not be aware of the switch guard. A PM was sent on 17-May-2005 and an email, where possible, will be sent this morning.

Id's highlighted in yellow have been sent email to the address shown in their CPF profile.
Id's highlighted in red have not been sent email since their profile doesn't list an address.

If you know how to reach any of the folks highlighted in red, please consider contacting them today and letting them know about the switch guard and today's deadline.

Thanks,

Ray

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: USL Switch Guard - BUYERS MUST READ!

Wow!

This project has really evolved. So many brains thinking about this project has driven the refinement of the design to a level I'd never thought possible in a handheld light. Hats off to the whole team and a special acknowledgement to Larry for sharing his expertise.

Great job! I just hope I can play with one some day.

Wilkey

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Ginseng! If Bill doesn't get a USL to you to play with, I'll have to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif him some!

BTW - I haven't forgotten about our discussion on changing the Team Tres Amigos picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Moderators - I created this thread in the wrong forum. Can someone move it to the Custom B/S/T forum, please?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hehe,

No worries Ray. I'm not that anxious to find out that the USL is brighter than the Aurora. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Aside from the similarity of light engine and switch, my light is so much more a rough prototype that there's just no comparison. You guys have created a tool with a singularly high degree of functional sophistication. I can only imagine the insane worldwide rush of endorphins that will ensue when these units start shipping. It really will be a whole new age and the setting of a new standard of performance in handheld lights. And I don't feel I'm overstating the situation one bit.

Wilkey

Once finals are over, I'll take some snaps and get them out to you.

AuroraLite

Enlightened

Hi, Ray.

No switch guard for me as well. Thank you for keeping us informed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The list has been updated for seattlite and AuroraLite.

Good luck with finals, Wilkey. I can use one of the shots from the Aurora threads, if I get around to it before finals are over. If I do that, I'll be glad to re-work it later if you send a better picture.

BTW, Larry - those are excellent photos of the switch guard!

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened

I do NOT want the USL switch guard. (But thanks for the kind offer.)

-Dave #39

nethiker

Enlightened

Codeman,

Just a technical point, but in your list above you list the defalt for the guard as "no". Doesn't really matter since you have everyone down for yes unless asked for otherwise. Just thought I'd point it out.

Great job by the way on managing the threads. You've gone above and beyond the call of duty with your thoughtful links and answers to questions to keep us all so well informed. I've had a hard time finding important info like the current sign-up list on other threads. Not so here.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

Greg

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The list has been updated for Davenagy.

nethiker - thanks for the spot (it's fixed now!) and the compliments. I've been managing information for close to 15 years, so I've learned a few things about making data easier to understand, find, and manage, as well as ways to do to efficiently that are not always intuitive. I'm sure the others threads would be just as easy if those who maintain them had my experience. My point is, I'm just doing what I know how do to - it just appears to be above and beyond! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Besides, when you get your USL and see in person what a great light it is, you'll understand why I'm having to do a lot just to measure up to the rest of the USL team!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

For the naysayers to the tvodrd switchguard offer - if you are not one of the beta testers and have not actually handled the light and experienced the immediate and intense thermal output of which it is capable, I would strongly urge you to reconsider.

Strongly.

The switch is a refined and well built unit to be sure, but is set by factory design to "cam over" and click on with a very easy and even inadvertent touch. Especially with no switchguard in place.

A decision based upon a moment's esthetic consideration may one day be followed by a lifetime of regret when your house, or car, or campsite - goes up in flames...

Don't say we didn't warn ya.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif

Psychomodo

Enlightened

Y'all listen to MR Bulk now - he knows wot he's talkin' 'bout /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Charlie!!

I know it is hard for anyone who hasn't played with one of these to realize the power and heat generated, but coming from the most reasonable of minds here on CPF: you, tovdrd, Ginseng, and Codeman, hopefully a few that otherwise would say no will be convinced!

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even after the early emails with tvodrd, and after having the USL, part of me didn't want the switch. And 9,999 times out of 10,000, I won't need it. It's that 1 out of 10,000 time, when my complacency a year down the road would otherwise cause a fire, that makes having it a no-brainer for me.

I look at the USL like it's a butane lighter that not only doesn't have a child-safety device, but it actually has a click-on, stay-on switch instead of the usual auto-off design. From a fire-starting ability, the analogy is accurate.

If anyone has doubts about the heat, hold your hand about 2" over a butane lighter, light it, and then try to keep your hand there for 3-4 seconds. That is what the USL feels like when turned on.

Just imagine the accidents that would happen if all butane lighters had un-guarded switches that required the user to turned them off. The 6 o'clock news would have daily reports of people's pants suddenly catching fire and horrible burns.

I hope everyone that considers declining on the guard asks themselves two questions:

1. Am I absolutely sure that I will never let my guard down?
2. If I do let it down, am I willing to accept the responsibility for the consequences?

These aren't trivial questions, and everyone owes it to themselves to answer them honestly. Anything short of two yes answers equals having the guard, in my book.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one person who opts not to get the guard, once they have the USL, will later say they wish that had gotten it.

<Codeman climbing down from soapbox>

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

And imagine if it accidentally got "loaned out" or "borrowed" from your toolbox/flashlight closet while you weren't around and someone simply needed a "Maglite" to set down somewhere and leave lit while he/she was working...not to mention it rolling around while IN one's toolbox or backpack or trunk or - or - or...the potentially horrifying possibilities are just too many to ignore.

Guard Now!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast

I feel compelled to chime in... I got so see the USL start a fire this past weekend at the Orange County flashlight collectors get togrther this past weekend.

I consider the USL to be a very dangerous instrument.... left unattended, it will cause somebody a lot a grief, by starting a fire.

Even with the switch guard, the potential for diaster far out weighs any possible uaseful application

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

The guard only reduces the risk of an accidental bump turning on the light! IMO it is still way easier to operate than the stock M*g switch. I wish I had an elegant tether solution for the positive-lockout pin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

(Back to the Bridgeport to finish drilling 320+ 1/16" holes- sort of the "corners" for the switch cutout.)

Larry

brightnorm

Flashaholic

As someone who survived an apartment house fire I have pretty strong feelings about this. It is one thing if a moment of carelessness only affected the owner, but in most cases others are involved: children, spouses, relatives, guests, and all residents of a multifamily dwelling or apartment highrise. Under these conditions, IMO, a fire caused by an unguarded USL would constitute criminal negligence. Sorry to be harsh but death by fire is even harsher.

I believe all USLs should come with guards, period.

Brightnorm

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hmmm, no way to have a spring-loaded flip cover (like those used by fighter pilots over their machine gun buttons) to turn it on? That way no matter what, you'd always have a full, hard-shroud cover over it so that no object, pointed or blunt, from any direction, could turn it on. And that way there'd be no need to remove a pin, which then renders it always easily turned back on unless the pin is replaced after each activation? A spring loaded cover would "auto-protect" each time you pulled your finger off the switch...

Not trying to add complexity or hassle to your project guys, this is JAHS (Just A Humble Suggestion)...!