Blue Laser

dziki

Newly Enlightened
Hi, im am interested in green lasers. Right now i am studing physics - optics, and i am working with lasers now. My idea is why not to build a blue laser, even more simple than a green one. My idea is to use a infrared laser diode like any used for dpss, important to be about 808nm. The we could use a BBO crysta or KTP (but i think BBO has a bigger efficency in that wavelength). I now that very impotrtant is to get one cut to a propper wavelength, but by roteting it along proper axis we can tune it to the right position. The BBO crystal should be I type - ooe. One problem so far i see is shg is nonlinear process so light at 808 should have high intensity. But we can:
1. focus it on a crystal
2. Take longer crystal - longer=higher efficieny
3. Make some kind of cavity with SHG crystal inide
and i think it should work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.
I have send that topic to hear your opinion about my idea.
I thik it would be very nice to have a <font color="blue"> blue </font> pointer !!!

jasonme

Newly Enlightened
there are blue laser pointers, except it's patented and some company has a monopoly on it. so, it's quite expensive.

damn those *******s! argh!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you discussed this with your physics instructor? The physics instructor I know would definately be able to help me with a project like this, and CPF can help you with the other stuff you may need. .