Things I've learned the hard way . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmpwi

Enlightened
Things I\'ve learned the hard way . . .

tvodrd suggested I keep a list and it's a good idea. After only a month, here's a start on mine:

List of things to I've learned (though not necessarily in order)

1. Measure twice, cut once (too important to leave off any list)
2. Bench test everything before installation
3. When soldering, be advised that heat sinks do just that - transmit heat to fingers very efficiently.
4. Everything melts. It helps to know what and when.
5. Smoke is usually a bad thing.
6. Ask first, someone else has already done it wrong before you and someone else has already done it right too
7. There's no such thing as too many tools
8. More power is not always the best answer
9. Half the fun can be in the doing, but that assumes you know what you're doing.
10. What ever it is, always assume it's loaded or plugged in
11. Sometimes it's cheaper and easier to buy the damn thing than it is to fabricate it.
12. Just because it fits doesn't mean it will work
13. The flame that burns twice as bright actually does burn half as long.
14. Just about anything can be fixed if you spend enough.

More to come, unfortunately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Things I\'ve learned the hard way . . .

and always have 2 of the parts your using, one for learning, the other for burning.

wmpwi

Enlightened

I like it. That can go right on there now. Anyone else with suggestions, this could become a sticky thread.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif wmpwi!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Ain't it true! It takes a while to "get it right," but when you do, it will have been more than worth the effort!

Larry

MrMom

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

cy

Flashaholic

When something you are trying to remove or take apart refuses to budge. STOP and come back to it later.

if you keep going, probably end up destroying it. VS coming back later after rethinking a new solution.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

if extra parts are cheap, buy extras because they sometimes have *legs* on them.
Just when you think you have it figured out in your head and dont write it down, someone comes and asks you a stupid question that makes you forget your ingenius idea.
When you finish with something easy nobody wants one, but when you make something nearly impossible everyone bugs you to tears to make them one for free so sometimes you only show those that appreciate it and know they don't grow on trees.
You test battery always goes dead when you are on the verge of completion.
If you have something complicated working on the bench it will break upon assembly every time.
If you have every tool imaginable you will always need one more, but if you only have a few tools you seem to have too many you don't use.
You always forget you have heat shrink tubing until you are finished soldering everything.
You always need one more test/clip lead than you have.
Even if you are an octupus you never have enough arms.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dont look into the leds, they are not going anywhere, and it doesnt improve your vision.

A new soldering tip is only sharp for the first 26 joints, and its the 27th that needs a good sharp tip.

a "cold joint" that works, is better than the 4th resoldering of the same joint.

Epoxy never cures fast enough, till you find that last thing you could use it on, then its hard as a rock.

The store always closes, 10 minutes after you need a part, and it takes you 12 minutes to get there.

You always have to many projects that are not completed, because the mailman does not deliver, till he KNOWS that you just started on a different one.

no mater what your trying to read with your Meter, you have it on the other setting.

there is never enough HeatSink, until you try and solder.

jtice

Flashaholic

"""You always forget you have heat shrink tubing until you are finished soldering everything.""" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Yep, I do that ALLL the damn time!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I sit back, to look at my newly finished master piece and DOOHHH !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

MoonRise

Enlightened

Always stop and think "Where is it going to go when it slips?" Not "IF", but "WHEN". Sharp object, grinder, soldering iron tip, whatever, always think about the set-up and where the tool is going to go when it slips.

Also, if you get even an inkling that something isn't right with the set-up or you feel even a tiny bit uncomfortable, STOP. Think about it and redo the set-up or jigging or clamping or the entire operation. You can always find a safe way to do the operation. You only get one set of hands and eyes.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

-The soldering iron will finally get warm just in time for your wife to ask you to take out the trash.
-Your friends and neighbors will tease you about your flashlight collection...until the power goes out.
-If you have a favorite "emergency" flashlight, practice changing the batteries and (if necessary) the bulb, by feel, in the dark. If it can't be done quickly and easily then get a different "emergency" flashlight!
-If inserting the batteries backwards will destroy the LED in a flashlight, get a different one for "emergencies" (see previous entry).
-Always buy the kids a couple of their own flashlights...or you'll never be able to find yours!
-When using a powerful light indoors, be wary of mirrors! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

a lesson I learned while making lunch yesterday:

When picking up a ziplock store bag of pre-shredded cheese make sure you're grabbing the end that opens and not the bottom, as the ziplocks on those bags just dont work...

And the followup, even though you've seen others in the house using a dustpan, does not mean that they put it in a reasonable place from where you'll be able to find it after spilling a pound of shredded cheese all over the floor...

wquiles

Flashaholic

So many of those I have sufered myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

GREAT tread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Will

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

You always are involved in working on the hardest part of a project when the doorbell or phone rings with someone that has an emergency.
If you buy a 4 pack of batteries you will always need 5 of them, if you buy an 8 pack you must have 9.
When you find batteries on sale and buy 3 times as many as you will need in a year someone will need half of them and you will end up wishing you had bought 5 times as many. When you buy 5 times as many batteries as you need, nobody will need or want extra batteries so they sit for years and you worry about them going bad before you use them.
Everyone wants you to help them fix their stuff, car, electronics, plumbling etc... but when you need an extra hand to finish your flashaholic project they act like you are imposing on their free time and look at you like you are an idiot.
That perfect host either turns out a mm too small to fit everything or everything fits and you inadvertantly destroy it when someone interrupts you for their *less trivial* project help.
The only time you have a power outage is when you are just about to finish your greatest flashlight made for..... you guessed it.... a power outage, so you cannot finish it till next power outage which doesn't happen for years, by the time which you bought a neater gadget you use for that power outage instead.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
When picking up a ziplock store bag of pre-shredded cheese make sure you're grabbing the end that opens and not the bottom

[/ QUOTE ]

And the corallary...
Never try to vacume talc powder with a bagless vac! (for those who haven't tried it, it pretty much clogs the filters forever).

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

JTice, yeah, I've done that before on car stereo harnesses. I solder all of my wires and heatshrink them rather than crimp. Drives you nuts!!

Lynx, I bought a TON of C batteries for dirt cheap a year or so ago, but didn't realize they were carbon zinc. I thought they were light weight! I plan on hooking a bunch of them in series for a power source for my HV generator.

But actaully, I haven't ruined any LED's or Luxeons or anything like that yet. I know some of you hate me, and I'll probably screw something up next for saying this!!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am still learning just how challenging it is to heat sink an LED enough that it will actually maintain its light output continuously (as opposed to the first 10 seconds) when run above 500ma.

I suspect that this is one of the great, underestimated challenges to the new builder, since most most do not have access to a Lux meter.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

When you find yourself putting in an exhorbitant amount of effort on a task, you are on the wrong track - fall back, regroup, take a different tack.

When that part, or tool, that you just set down 20 seconds ago, goes missing for more than 10 minutes, it has dematerialized - it will not rematerialize until you buy another one. Same thing goes for that tool that you didn't need when you saw it just recently - but now that you need it, it is nowhere to be found.

Sometimes when you drop a part and hear it bounce twice, the second bounce was into another dimension (or parallel universe if you prefer). It might take 2 years to come back, or it may never come back.

The act of taking some things apart generates an extra part, which you will notice when the thing is all back together and appears to be working normally.

No matter how long you keep that pile of scrap parts and material around, you won't find a use for it till you throw it out.

The easiest way to lose something is to set it somewhere where you won't forget it.

The easiest way to forget to take something is to set it by the door so you won't forget it.

When at the grocery store buying items to make a particular dish, you don't buy item A because you know you have some in the fridge. What you forgot was that you put item A in the fridge a year ago, and now it's a science project.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Things I've learned the hard way . .

Fingerprints fade with enough friction (eg. don't sand Cu heatsinks too vigorously) :green:

Last edited:

wmpwi

Enlightened

I wish this thread had run about a month ago. I could have saved myself a bunch of money and even more time. There are some incredible words of wisdom here. Thanks everyone and don't stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.