PGLIII

BlueMars

Newly Enlightened
I just got my PGLIII-like model from bootleg2go (Jack)! It is simply amazing and a review is in the process. If anyone has some simple suggestions to review for the laser or requested pictures, please post in the thread and I will try and cover it to the best of my ability.

The output is >150mw.

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened
Re: PGLIII-like model

Hello All,
I also recived my PGLIII-Type unit from bootleg2go. I purchased the slim version. Unit arrived, well packaged, via Fedex, in a very quick turn around time !! I use a SpectrsPhysics 404 meter to check power, tunned for 532 output. On a fresh set of Eveready Industrial Alkaline batteries, the output is 165mw @ power level 7 ( Rotary selector switch built into tail piece selects 0~9, with 0 = off. At selection 8 & 9...output goes up to 200....but is somewhat unstable. From my understanding, units are like individuals...each with its own characteristics, each with a
unique combination of 808 pump diode, alignment and MCA purity. Therein lies the variance on end product mw output.
Unit is WELL built, and beam characteristics based on visual observation only, are very round output ( no beam expansion optics utilized ). Driver electronics placed in tailpiece, along with current modifing power level 0~9 selector switch. Great value for money spent. Wish list: leather case for protection or knurled type outer shell on future generations. Thanx Jack. PT

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened

Hello All,
I also recived my PGLIII-Type unit from bootleg2go. I purchased the slim version. Unit arrived, well packaged, via Fedex, in a very quick turn around time !! I use a SpectrsPhysics 404 meter to check power, tunned for 532 output. On a fresh set of Eveready Industrial Alkaline batteries, the output is 165mw @ power level 7 ( Rotary selector switch built into tail piece selects 0~9, with 0 = off. At selection 8 & 9...output goes up to 200....but is somewhat unstable. From my understanding, units are like individuals...each with its own characteristics, each with a
unique combination of 808 pump diode, alignment and MCA purity. Therein lies the variance on end product mw output.
Unit is WELL built, and beam characteristics based on visual observation only, are very round output ( no beam expansion optics utilized ). Driver electronics placed in tailpiece, along with current modifing power level 0~9 selector switch. Great value for money spent. Wish list: leather case for protection or knurled type outer shell on future generations. Thanx Jack. PT

BlueMars

Newly Enlightened

Hey PhotonThrower,

Hey mate, how are you going to attach the key to the body?

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened

B.Mars,
Key arrangment is...not ergronomic...true!! This is tricky ! Attached selector key would then be external...but, that would make it possible to deliver damage to current selector rotary unit by accidental drop. And true...power selection setting deliveres max mw output contigent upon battery condition = F( Unit on time). Optimal solution( maybe ! ) would be optical feedback loop chip set ( like on new 5mw units I've read about)...that would vary current imput and auto select current Io to max. mw output. Well we're at it...add on TEC and KTP crystal thermal stabalized heating...Only on government budget model !!
Tailpiece electronics could be carefelly removed . Four (4) phillips head screws out. Of course...I didn't DO this !!
A VERY, VERY small drop of thick epoxy could then afix a piece of aluminum shaft removed from a standard larger style pot. You would have to be careful to NOT get epoxy in
selector switch dial/switch body gap. You could then open up hole dia. in tailpiece cap and extend shaft thru tailpiece wall. Then just setscrew attach pot knob !!! One way to skin cat !!Later. PT....and BTW,NICE video !!! Please advise on your observations up to now.

bootleg2go

Enlightened

Thanks guys,
I'm looking forward to the review. I've a large number on order and will have my website up by late tonight or tomorrow as well as buying banner space here at CPF.

Jack

LaserMod

Enlightened
Great vid BlueMars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

But why are we calling them PGL-III's - they are not from CNI but from .... I recognise the slim unit on your website Jack - got one on order myself (sample unit 130mw customised without red LED and adjustable power). They have a very good stability - so much better than PGL-III's - recommended.

BlueMars

Newly Enlightened
One question,

What is the lens in the removeable aperture?
It's kinda bluish greenish coloured.

Could it be the infrared filter?

comozo

Enlightened

Photonthrower you say "Unit is WELL built, and beam characteristics based on visual observation only, are very round output ( no beam expansion optics utilized"

The unit you have does have beam expansion optics known as a reverse Galilean telescope if it did not the unit would have to be longer than it is. Leadlight's do, CNI's do. Beam roundness probably has more to to with the beam being partially blocked by the apparture. The beam I suspect is slightly oval in shape.

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened
Re: Beam expansion optics

Comozo,
What I was trying to say is that the output beam appears round, just looking at output Without any external optics to help with beam examination ! Upon more observation, yes, the output is slightly oval.
Regarding optics, I have limited knowledge, Lasers are just an interest of mine, I know just enough to be dangerous ! and enough to be humble. Still attempting to learn ANYTIME I can. I now know a little about reverse Galilean optics...one converging and one diverging lens to colliminate beam output. I would like to know more. Maybe you could post some additional optics info ????? Thanx ! P.T.

comozo

Enlightened

Everthing I know about this topic I've learned from reading and some simple experimentation. Click my name then click "read all user posts" or something like that. I like this applet,
http://www.lightmachinery.com/gausbeam.html

Try this experiment. Place a magnifying lens in the path of the beam doing so greatly increases the power density, then place a combustible material at the focus. A variation is to use a two lens system a negative lens followed be a positive lens this will allow you to increase the power density into the; I would estimate hundreds of millions of watts per square centimeter. It is possible using a 5mw laser to get if memory serves 33 million watts per square centimeter the focal point is in the 2um size. Another thing to try is this,"You'll need a 4 cm diameter lens to have a green beam collimated* for 1000 m. The Gaussian spot size** must be 1.3 cm at the lens, and it is customary to use lenses at least 3 times larger than the spot size, hence the 4 cm diameter requirement. **The spot size is the beam radius at 1/e^2 of the center beam intensity. *Actually, an initially collimated Gaussian beam will expand by the square-root-of-2 in that distance, for 532 nm and a 1.3 cm spot size. Alternatively, if you focus that same beam on a point 500 m from the lens, then at 1000 m it will have the same diameter as it does at the lens. Look up Gaussian beam propagation in most any book on lasers, for example A. E. Siegman, Lasers, section 17.1 Milonni & Eberly, Lasers, section 14.5 Mark

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened

I recieved mine the other day. There is one small artifact the beam is producing, looks like a reflection from one of the lenses inside, a small globe off to the side, but other than the the power is pretty fantastic. Officially unrated, Jack said it was indistinguishable from Blue Mars unit in intensity.

It does all the fun stuff... melts black plastic, pops balloons up to 20 feet away! It lights standard red paper book matches, ignited gunpoweder, and I even lit a cigarette with it!

Build quality is really nice, and it's lightweight. Well worth the purchase price, IMO.

I did think this slimline version was supposed to have a momentary on/off switch, but it has a constant on/off button. Fine with me. It seems very stable, and doesn't even get warm after being on a few minutes. Really nice unit, but it seems to be sealed in the tube pretty well. I wouldn't attempt to dissassemble it anyways.

What is the nomenclature on this? Model name? I guess it should be given one or something... "PGL-III type" doesn't give this item it's due respect, IMO.

bootleg2go

Enlightened

I'm calling them the PPL (Portable Programmable output Laser)

Jack

bootleg2go

Enlightened

PS. the reflection your seeing might be caused by a piece of dust that is on the lens. You might try getting some compressed air and lightly blow the surface of the exterior aperture. Just make sure it is air only and not the frozen propelent that caan come out of some cans of air.

Jack

LaserFreak

Enlightened

I am REALLY wanting to get one of these. Are you based in the US Jack?