• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Nexgen 750 mA sandwich in cutdown minimag

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
How well will the nexgen 750 sandwich work with 1 x AA alkaline in a cutdown minimag? Should I use a different type of battery for this?

Thanks

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nexgen doesn't run below 1.8V. You could use the rechargable Li-ion AA 14450??. The voltage on the rechargeables ae 3.9V and would run the nexgen just fine.

For the single alkaline/NiMH battery setup you could use the Madmax lite or Madmax plus sandwiches.

Wayne

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Wayne:

I have a question. Since the Li-IOns start at 4.2v off the charger, and I remember seeing soemthign that says the LED goes into direct drive over a certain voltage, would I be damaging the LED's useful life byh using a Li-ion battery? I would like to use the NexGen 750 in a MMM Mag witha 14720 battery but am concerned on the effect it may have on the life span of the LED.

Nick

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Nick,

Just passing by, and trying to help--would you know what bin is your lux III on the sammie? That might help to determine the answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The internal body diode in the IC helps buffer the LED from a true hard direct drive connection. A true battery to LED could generate quite a bit of current to the LED. The additional drop across or through the IC softens that a bit. A Lux3 J bin won't draw more than ~1.2A or so in DD mode. Your actual DD might vary from this.

Wayne

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Wayne: THanks. I'll just not use the Li-Ion fresh off the charger and wait for a while before I use it.

Auroralite: It's the garden variety TWOJ. I saw a bunch of threads in this forum where people said that they used their NexGen 750, or even 500 with Li-ion with no problem, but then again the problem doesn't usuallyu surface until an extended period of usage and not very apparent without a lux meter. I might get a lux reading meter and run the heck out of the Li-ion setup and see the difference for my self. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif anyone know a good place to get one?

Nick

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
270winchester said:
THe 14720 is the half AA size that fits that cut down MM that H22A is offering right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick,

I think you are thinking of the 14270 not the 14720. You got all the right digits - just in the wrong order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay Jim, you just like to make the rest of us look dumb don;t ya? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

You're right. I mean, I just wanted to see you knew of course....ahem...and good job passing the test *looking around nervously hope it'll blow over soon* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
DemonNaNa.gif