• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Experiences with different McE2s styles wanted

Whiteknight

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to getting an McE2s for my new L4 and I was hoping that some people could share their experiences and thoughts about the various styles. For instance, I've heard that it is difficult to hold the switch in on the standard and trim styles unless you use a cigar grip. What about the flat top and standard flat top? I realize that they have a modified switching mechanism, but I'd like to hear about real world performance in using these since the distance between low and high is much smaller. I probably won't end up getting a bald or standard bald beacuse I'd like to be able to stand the light on end. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
For what it's worth, I prefer the FT and SFT because I like the flush membrane and shorter stroke of the "hair trigger". Since the L4 already has a clip, you might want to consider the FT for smallest overall footprint. Method of carry and likelihood of accidental discharge of photons should the button get bumped should figure strongly in your decision. The SFT with its extended girth gives you the best grip when using the light, IMHO but this may or may not fit in with your method of carry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Now, lets let others dash my comments to threads! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Whiteknight,

I tend to be a bit unorthodox in my use of my Aleph 3 and L4. Both lights have the standard McE2 and I have been very pleased with its performance.

It is true that you need a cigar grip or overhand grip to activate the light to full power when using the button, however, through playing around I have discovered that there is a bit of slop in the threads. If you turn the tailcap to where it is close to turning on, you can simply press against the tailcap sideways or from the end to activate the low setting.

My low setting is brighter than most other people are using (10 ohm I think) and I find that setting adequate for a lot of my use. If I need high, I have to put my thumb on the button, or turn the tailcap.

In a similar way, when I am using the lights in low, I can just press sideways on the tailcap to activate the high setting.

I also think the standard tailcap hold up better to the stresses involved in using the ground as a light holder (think of driving a tent stake in on an angle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). The extra room around the button makes it easier to get the dirt and mud out afterward.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif Hey, some of us actually use our lights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

I think any of the styles would work on the L4, but the larger diameter styles are better for the Aleph 3. Standing on the ground or a table, the extra diameter gives the light some additional stability. I also think the extra size makes it easier to hold on to when wearing gloves.

In true CPF fashion, I supposed I should recommend that you get one of each and report back to us on which one works best for you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Tom

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Whiteknight ... IMHO the best approach to this indeed difficult question is to define your preference between "hair-trigger" and "standard" activation, then your preferred hold "(cigar etc.) and last not least carry method (holster fit) and tailstand. In theory, this will lead you directly to one of the tailcaps. Theoretically /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just for those who aren't so familiar with the Aleph tailcap iterations, the pic:

Alephtailcaps-primary-new.jpg

bernie