Your own light show from a lazer pointer (cheap)

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know if this has been discussed yet, but i just thought i would tell you a cute stupid thing you can do with a laser Pointer.
there is no suggestion to do this with these lazer GUNS yous guys have , unless you can do it safely.

get an Old speaker, tape a small mirror on the Side of the paper of the speaker, have the center of the mirror be resting in the center of the speaker.

now get your simple cheapo laser pointer (at least to test with :) and align it to hit this small mirror on the speaker, so it misses any humans, and lands on the top of your ceiling.

now send your stereo speaker output, to the speaker. then spend about 2 hours adjusting everything.

the adjustement you want to make are to achieve a rectangular total area, instead of a LINE from the harmonics of the speaker.
angles, and mirror placement are very important.
once you achieve a large area, instead of a line, you will start getting cool things like harmonic circles.

it helps sometimes to remove the paper cone from the sides, some speakers will DIE, and not move at all if you seperate the paper off the sides. some will move much easier , getting you a greater level of motion of the mirror. just depends on the speaker that you got from the trash.

and to finalize this test, to show it to your friends, play "Dream Weaver" from gary wright on it.

they did this in a planetarium once, and (of course) we had to go home and reproduce it for Nothing. we had old speakers, pieces of an old mirror were easy to come by, and whats a simple laser pointer cost nowdays 5$?

so for about a MAX of 10$ you can create your own light show. and of course, with some of the lasers you guys got, you can make a "pro" light show.

i have seen the stuff with the mirrors and the motors that respond slightly to music, and if you get this aligned (including the mirror movement on the speaker) you will have a better show than they did.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Your own light show from a lazer pointer (chea

There was a company back in the late 70s that sold an elaborate speaker mirror kit that did exactly as you described.

One of the kits used small hi-intensity colored spotlights placed very close to the speakers. Can't recall the company name right at the moment.....

jtice

Flashaholic

What works even better is TWO speakers,
use one for the Y and oen for the X axis.

IMG_5065.sized.jpg

Heres a VIDEO

Many other Laser vids here, sorry I dont have them thumbnailed yet.
http://www.jtice.com/home_movs/laser

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I made a laser show like this (like VidPro's post at the top of this thread) in the late-1970s; consisting of a small piece of mirror taped to the edge of a speaker, resting loosely against the dust cap in the center of the cone. At first, I used (as a collimated light source) a 12 volt bulb focused by a lens, followed not long after by a Metrologic ML-800 HeNe laser.

Some songs off the album Pink Floyd "The Wall" gave rather nice patterns, especially songs with a high amount of bass.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Another idea for an inexpensive laser show is to use the azimuth adjustment assembly out of an old laser disc drive - the kind that uses a HeNe laser. Pioneer was one company that made a lot of these back in the 1980s.

This assembly is a small metal platform with two mirror/coil assemblies on it, with two wires leading to each coil (four wires total). Connect these wires to the R and L channels of a stereo; be absolutely certain you feed no more than 2 watts to each coil or you'll let the magic smoke out. Aim the laser at one of these mirrors, so the laser beam reflects off it and strikes the center of the other mirror. Play a song on the stereo that has decent stereo seperation; and viola, instant laser light show. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had one or two of these at my old place; but I think it (they) got left behind, so I can't show you with a photograph. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif