URGENT A/C help!!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have here a replacement transformer (240v primary 24v secondary) by Honeywell.

My original transformer had male spade connectors. This has 4 wires labled pri. blk(com), wht-120v. red-208v. org-240v.

What wires are used in my application?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully Chris Medico will read this and give an answer. He is a guru in these sort of things and helped me a lot when I installed my thermostat.

I myself, don't understand your wiring color codes. I assume you have a 240V live and a neutral on one side and the 24V live and neutral on the other (or do they share a common neutral?). I believe it's just a simple AC step down transformer. BTW, don't use - when describing voltages, they can be mistaken for negative voltages. Use a colon or something else.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that transformer can be hooked up to 120v, 208v, or 240v. If that's the case, and you want to hook it to 240v, then you would use black (common) and orange (240v).

P.S. Is there a penalty if I guess wrong? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Clifton Arnold

Newly Enlightened
If the transformer is going on your house hold furnace you would use the white and the black because most household furnaces are 120vac. If you have a heat pump and just a blower coil then it could be a 208/230 vac connection. What is your application. This is what I do for my living. Or is this going in out at your condensing unit. There are still some systems out there that use 2 transformers you will find them in very old installations.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It turns out that black and orange was the correct hook up! It is a mobile home unit, sort of a closet arrangement. I metered 240v before unhooking the old transformer. As a bonus the coils got cleaned too!

We were able to call an A/C man brother of a friend.

The house is coming down from 90+ as we speak.

Thanks a million to those who responded!