35watt diode back to life!

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I bought some "as-is" 35 watt spectra physics pump diodes from e-bay for about 50 bucks each, kinda should have known better as I got the first 2 or 4 today and suprize! they are both shorted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and I expect the other two to be in the same condition now, out of depression and for kicks and giggles sake I dissasembled one of them and I noticed an arc mark on one end of it's micro lense and diode bar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but then I got an idea and got out the dremel too and started carving away at that end of the diode bar and after about 1.5mm the short whent away, hooked up the power supply and ran 3 amps into and volia! I have output!
It may not last long but it's better then just throwing it away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I hope this works for the others.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I don't have a watt metter at this time so i don't know, I will probly derate it a bit and I need to make shure the mirco lense is in the right place, anyway at 3 amps it was more then enough to over expose the video camera I was useing.
The second diode did not survive shaving, just as I got the short removed the whole cathode broke off, If I hold it just right I can get output but it's still toast as I don't have a clue on how to rebond it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to trim fiber cable? it seems to be ZnSe. can this be fused with a torch? or is that not a good idea? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif