Info needed please

Robert_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
This is my first post so be gentle with me please. I am a nighttime predator hunter and unfortunately I am electronically challenged. I have no idea of how to mod my own lights, so here is what I need. A good store bought headlight that I can use while calling coyotes that has a good bright spot. Something that will illuminate at 300-350 feet for under $100 (is this called throw?). Is there anything like that out there? Currently I am using a 750,000 candle power hand held Q beam hooked up to a 12 volt gel cell, I want my hands free. I am still trying to figure out all the abreviations so if you would be so kind as to be specific it would be appreciated. So much to learn on this site. Thanks in advance.
Robert_L

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kind of behind the times on this subject, so someone may be aware of something that I don't know about.

BUT: I don't know of any commercial headlamp that will throw (that is the correct term) that far, with enough light to do the job and if there was one, I have a feeling that it would cost more than a hundred dollars. You would need a bulb and reflector assembly similar to a 9 or 12 V Surefire combat light IMHO

At half or maybe even 3/4 of that distance, you could probably find something that would perform well and stay within your price range.

Any of you guys that are more knowledgable on this subject feel free to correct me.

Hang around here long enough and you can learn enough to build your own headlamp: I'd think about just modifying a cheap commercial headlamp with either a Surefire bulb / reflector assembly or a Carley or Welch-Allyn bulb & reflector assembly. and run it off a NiMH, Gel Cell or Lithium-ion belt mounted rechargable battery pack.

The only thing you really would have to worry about is the heat from the bulb melting any plastic in the headlamp if you leave the light on for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think the biggest problem is making a headlamp that wouldn't scorch your brain within 5 minutes of runtime. I have an SLA based headlamp that uses a halogen bulb with LED backup for low level lighting but the bulb is about 5 watts and you are probably talking about a 50 watt bulb which will put out 10 times as much heat. Unless you can make an ingenius fan, mount it on a helmet or something like that it will get hot. Also to throw that far reasonably you will either have to ramp up MORE output or go with a large reflector. How about just mounting your light on a helmet instead?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I don't think you'd have to go to 50 watts:

I just tried out a Surefire 6p with a P61... Pulling 2.2 amps @ 6V that is 13.2 watts... and the P61 reached out to about 65 yards with enough light to do what I GUESS Robert L needs; borderline at 75 yards... A tighter focus (different reflector design) and I think that you MIGHT get by on 20 watts.....

Although a lot would depend on how WIDE a beam you need.

Ahh, heck... Why not just save up some money and go with night vision ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif Harbor Freight sells a GEN 1 NV rifle scope or Gen 1 Goggles for under 300 bucks.

mrme

Enlightened
Wow aren't we quick to rain on your parade.

Unfortunately, you will not likely find exactly what you are looking for.

You get several problems with really bright headlamps. One of the biggest is that the dust and humidity reflect the light back in your eyes.

Your larger lights get around this by having huge, deep reflectors. Headlamps just are not that big (with the excetion of those specialty orienteering headlamps already mentioned).

One idea (which may not be a good one) is to get a Black Diamond Vecta IQ for which you can get a 1 amp searchlight bulb (Soliras spare bulb). The Soliras migh work better, but it costs over $100 while the Vectra IQ runs closer to $70 (but can be had cheaper on ebay). The Helion might also work. You will need to run Ni-Mh rechargables for the higher current bulb. It will give you 4.5 watts, which is about as bright as you are likely to handle.

If you are really serious, look into some of the bicyle headlamps. You can even get HID systems. They don't come cheap, though.

If it were me shootin' coyotes, I would look into a gun mounted light. Maybe a Surefire G2 with P61 bulb abd one of those external switches. It would come in under $100.

Have fun.

Robert_L

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about trying to be inexpensive guys LOL. Wow I really like the looks of the SILVA headlamps, sounds like this may be what I want. Will have to do some more research on them (find a dealer or website). Some good stuff here folks, and I am interested in doing some of my own modifications, just need to learn more (I'm an old fart, but I ain't stoopid lol). Looked through all the acrnoyms and still I become baffled. One thing for sure I will continue to hang out here.
Thanks everyone,
Robert
ps keep the info comming even if over $100

Robert_L

Newly Enlightened
Wow had a really great well thought out reply to mrme and accidently deleted it, darn the bad luck! I will try again.

I expected some precipitation, lol.

I understand about dust and such things, I started hunting Racoons 30+ years ago by wiring a motorcycle battery to a cheap headlamp, carried on a belt with the battery wrapped in plastic in a canteen holder(state of the art early 70's lol). Really figured it out with 750,000 and 1 million cp spotlights when I started calling criters.

Black Diamond info sounds like it is worth looking into as is the Bicyle headlamps BTW what is HID?

Light mounted weapon is too dedicated, I am after critters not peeps. Not interested in NV, lights work for me. I am always looking to upgrade in the light department.
Thank you everyone for the quick responses and info, keep it comming.
Robert

WDR65

Enlightened
I'm assuming you're using a rifle with scope at that range. I don't know a whole lot about the headlamp stuff yet as I just bought my first good one yesterday but I've been into the hight powered flashlights and spotlights for a while. Assuming you're using a scope mounted rifle for this, unless you're a very good shot with iron sights at night, no offense intended I'd suggest a gun mounted light. Cabela's offers a light that mounts on your scope and I'm sure Bass Pro does also. They have several different model with different ranges and they come with predator filters also.
I use a .22 rifle I've rigged with a Surefire G2 and clickie tailcap to shoot bullfrogs at night when we can't sneak up on them with the gig through thick brush. It works fairly well but only up to about 100 ft or so before the beam gets kinda weak in the scope. As far as your price range goes, the two best distance lights I own in that range are a Streamlight Ultrastinger rechargable which throws as well as some smaller spotlights I have and is a lot lighter and also Streamlight TL3, the Ultrastinger you can get for around 75 with a DC charger and the TL3 i've seen from 40 to 60. I can spotlight deer across an open field with either at around 200 yards. Not sure how you might mount these to rifle, but I'm sure someone on here can give yo an idea. I'm using duct tape in the interim on my .22.
Otherwise there is always the Surefire option and they do make weapon mounted lights for long range applications, but they would probably run you over double that. Their Leopard light system seems very neat, where they mount an M4 combatlight on your scope. So far I only have three cell Surefire's and they're bright but I'm sure this one is super. Anyway, hope this helps a little and give you a few more options.

WDR65

Enlightened
Humm, whoops didn't read your post about the weapon mounted lights being too dedicated. So what I said might not help you a lot, we chase coyotes at night a bit where I'm from too and have had the same problems with spotlights, etc. So, I'm sorry if I tried to lead you astray there.

Robert_L

Newly Enlightened
Not a problem WDR65, that's good info also. I looked into some of the cabelas rifle mounted lights and just don't want to go that route, just not for me.

Looked at the Black Diamond Soloris, that might be something I can work with. Will look more later no time now. Also want to find more info on the Silva products no prices and can't find a website that has them for sale, Especially the models: 471; 480; 478 and Mica. Anyone got a link?
Robert

chumley

Enlightened
I would think that it would be hard to aim a headlamp while looking through a rifle scope. Also wouldn't the spill light reflect off the scope and barrel hindering low light vision?

But I've never tried it so maybe it isn't as hard as I think.

mrme

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chumley said:
I would think that it would be hard to aim a headlamp while looking through a rifle scope. Also wouldn't the spill light reflect off the scope and barrel hindering low light vision?

But I've never tried it so maybe it isn't as hard as I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. A headlamp goes where your forehead points, whic is often a far cry from where you are looking. Headlamps are really disapointing when you use them for automotive repair for this reason.

HID mean High Intesity Discharge. It is super efficient and allows for maximium brightness in the smallest package. I don't own one for the most common rea$on$ people don't own the ideal technologie$, so all I can share is what I have heard.

Just realize that watt for watt a headlamp will not come ANYWHERE near what your spotlight does. The Soliras is still just a 4.5 watt bulb. If you go with a weapon mounted light, you might get above 10 watts.

I just don't want you to spend a lot of money on stuff that won't work as well. Of course a headlamp is no longer specialty equipment.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Headlamps are really disapointing when you use them for automotive repair for this reason."

Odd you should say that. especially considering how many you have.

I have found a headlamp to be one of the most constantly useful tools in my toolbox. I now carry one in every car and another in each tool box and tool chest. I've been doing a nearly total rebuild on one of my vehicles, and I can't imagine having done what I have done so far, without using a headlamp.

Even in a well lighted garage, also with a couple of halogen worklamps and a couple of fluorescent trouuble lights, I wear a headlamp nearly constantly when I'm working on the vehicle

Couple of years ago I had to replace a U-joint on the road at night. I had two lights with me.... A 5D M*G and a Photon on my keychain.... Guess which one I was able to use while crawling underneath the vehicle?

My last five portable light purchases have been headlamps, and I'm working on about four different homebuilt LED headlamps right now....

The more I use them, the more I value headlamps for everything except as a "pocket light" or a "tactical" light. JMHO

Robert_L

Newly Enlightened
Mrme I also would like to know which is the brightest, especially with spot.

As far as shooting with a headlight I have shot hundreds of racoons out of trees, at ranges of at least 50' or better with a headlamp. The trick is to have the headlamp over a ballcap and to turn the cap a few degrees to align perpendicular with the bore. As far as spill the ball cap brim goes over the ocular bell and eliminates spill. With just a little practice very quick and easy. Will not work with a hardhat attached light(band is usually formed),at least the ones I've tried. I've been shooting a long time. Just like the idea of a bunch of horsepower on top of my head with as little weight as possible.
Robert

mrme

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Trashman said:
Sorry to go off topic here, but,

mrme, of all your headlamps, which are the best/brightest (stock)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, that belongs in another thread. We need to talk about huntin' lights.

I am sorry if I lead anyone to belive I find headlamps unuseful for automotive repair. It is just that about half of the time the light is dirrected away from where you are looking. If you have done more than change a flat with a headlamp, you probably have experienced this frustration. They do supplement other lighting quite nicely.

Okay, fine. My brightest light is a Coleman Peak mod with a Luxeon III LED driven at exactly amp with an LM317 voltage regulator, Li-Ion battery and Fraen 30mm 6 deg optics. It is not very practical and I almost never use it.

I made it to do things like mow the lawn where other lights create so much glare that I need a lot of light to perform the task. In most wilderness situations you don't really need a very bright light.

This is a rather unique application since the idea is to see and stun animals at great distances. The focus has to be VERY TIGHT so as not to illumminate the things around you so much you can't see the faintly illuminated objects at a distance.

In other words, if the rock next to you is illuinated at 12 lux and the area around the coyote is 2, you will be straining to see the coyote. I just made up the numbers, but you get the idea.

Headlamps are designed to have sidespill since almost all headlamp use is at close range. They don't work well for spoting. The Petzl Zoom probably works best for spotting. I don't know if higher current bulbs will melt it, though.

The reason my Coleman Peak has Luxeon in it is that I melted the bulb holder with a bulb that had twice the wattage the headlamp was designed for.

Come to think of it, the Zoom made by Petzl might be best. It has a large, smooth reflector. Its ablity to focus is unmatched.
They are on clearance at several internet retailers. I have seen tham as low as $15. If you get one, try and get the 4 AA Zoom Zora or 4 C cell Zoom Zora Belt. The origional Zoom had a 4.5 V flat battery with an avalible 3 AA adapter that you don't want to mess with.
If you will be using it intermittnetly you can probably get away with a higher current bulb than the optional halogen bulb Petzl sells (which you will need).

Good luck.