2 inexpensive chargers for 14500 Li-ion, thoughts?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
ONLY from the specs:

the 1A is slower
all these feature statements are BS (not short for Battery Station:) or apply to anything
Rapidly wake up the dormant batteries
Rapidly repair the logjam batteries
Rapidly dispel the fatigue caused by memory effect
Rapidly fill up the drain batteries

it would be very slow, and very Kind to your batteries, it might not be as usefull for major power batteries like 2500ma and up, because of speed.
i dont know if it has a TIMER shutoff, but if it did then it would be another issue (not problem) with higher capacity batteries.

the I2 thing would be much faster, and would be harder on low capacity batteries, mabey to hard (IMO), it should work best on any capacity beyond 2000ma depending on the open curcuit voltage when charging. if its open was say 5v or less it might be perfect for any capacity. if it hard hits at 500-300ma at the cutoff i would prefer not to use it on lower capacity cells.

i dont have EITHER, the price is GREAT, they are probably cheap, use them correctally and they probably are both ok.
Being a cheapskate myself, i too was looking at these, and think that the pair of them would work good for my different cell types.

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
For the 14500 with a cap of 700mah, the 2nd charger will be the 1 to get. But are using only 1 batt? Because the charger can only charge 1 batt at a time and for at least 45 - 60 min/batt. If not then u might as well spring for a better charger like the triton.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 2 inexpensive chargers for 14500 Li-ion, thoug

I'd just be using it to feed one 1AA miniminimag, probably have two batteries to rotate for it. So only being able to charge one at a time would be ok.

I'm trying to not get an expensive battery charger for this light since it's just two batteries I would be using.

Thanks for your input, I'll probably get the "gentler" of the two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It says it has a cutoff when the battery is full.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

they both have cutoffs, that is basically what makes them li-ion capable chargers, just soes ya knows.
the question becomes HOW they cutoff, when it comes to being kind, intital blasts for charging are good, its near the end that it needs to taper.

Kevin Tan

Enlightened

I found that these chargers are usually just constant voltage with limited current, meaning it will give out 4.2 - 4.25v at 150mah to the batt until the voltage equals. If u do get them chargers, stick a dmm to them n find out whats the voltage given out. Oso please have the charger charge a batt in sight for the 1st time with a dmm measuring the v of the batt. U need a timer if the chargers is just constant voltage.

AW

Newly Enlightened

How about this one? With the included solid copper spacers, it can now handle 14500/17500/18500/17670/18650/16340. It has 2 charging bay and worldwide voltage and is only selling for $13.50 ( worldwide shipping included ). Details here.

PICT0150.jpg

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Mike,

The maximum charge rate for Li-Ion cells is 1C. If you cells are 700 mAh, I would go for charger #1. It has a rate of 500 mA which should be good for your cells. It will probably take about 3 hours to fully charge a cell on this charger. It also looks like it would be easier to hook up to a single cell.

The other charger is fine, but it will probably take about 8 hours to charge a cell and looks to be harder to hook up to a single cell.

Tom