What should I buy ? newbie here

microban

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering what is a good strong flashlight not so expensive ??? That type were you can clearly see the track of the beam at night ???

owww man just bought my surefire aviator (im a private pilot) and now I want something stronger .... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks !!!

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thor comes to mind.............go to Costco and pick one up for about $25..............be prepared to fill the entire cart with it!

microban

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MaxaBaker said:
Thor comes to mind.............go to Costco and pick one up for about $25..............be prepared to fill the entire cart with it!

[/ QUOTE ]

with it ??? what do you mean ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends how bright you want the thing... it's also a question of form factor. you can get very bright lights, even searchlights that one might use for search and rescue. generally, bright lights tend to be bigger than the aviator you've got.

how much light do you want? will it be powered from a car?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to throw (see across sky, I guess, like a beam) you need more size. Not to say that there aren't lights the size of an A2 that are brighter, because there are. The A2 isn't supposed to be a rock-em-sock-em bright light, it has other features that make it cool.

In around the same size, you could go with a G2 with a P61 HOLA. That would give you some beam to see. I've been told that my Thor's beam is visable to 10k feet, though. That's hard to beat for the price. .

microban

Newly Enlightened
yeah I wanted something compact like the a2 but I can see that it is not possible heh ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
This thor seem really good for the price... but does anybody know a website that sell this ?? there is no cotsco over here were I live !! But how long does the battery last??

thanks for your help !!! really getting into this hehe !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

have a good saturday !!

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded my 2 mcp vector spotlight to 35 watt hid

3600 bulb lumen phillips dl35 bulb

12 4.5ah nimh c cell internal battery pack - about 1.3 hours runtime

5.25 inch reflector and a glass lens

weighs under 4 four pounds.

my 87 year old grandfather uses it a lot(drops it a lot too)

he uses it outside at night and to look for things in the kitchen - some old pan in the back of a floor level cabnet.

my mom lives 2 minutes walk from me and he takes it on his electric scooter as his headlight.

I tried to get him to use a 100 watt halogen spotlight.

he said I have macular degeneration I want to use the brighter one and I know it is very exspensive and I will buy you a new one if I break it.

some times he remembers I built it.

I should build him one but he might do back flips and hand stands if I re-told him what it cost to build

I have picture of it If any one is interested

he is moving soon

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
These guys are the ones who make both the 10 MCP and 15 MCP Thors. The 15 MCP Thor has a larger reflector and a brighter bulb.

I believe you can get the Thor 10 at Kragens Auto store or at Costco.........there are a couple of other places but I can't think of them right now.