Benchmade 710 - What type of steel to get it with?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

I've decided to buy a Benchmade 710 folder, I looked at a few locally today and like everything about them (at least everything about the plain blade model, not the combo-edge model!). My question is this:

The knife is available in two different versions, a version with a 154CM stainless blade and a version with a M2 tool steel blade. The M2 has a harder edge, but also rusts easier... at least that's what the salespeople are telling me.

Which of the two steels should I buy this knife in? And for what reasons? I plan on using this as my EDC knife, and plan on using the knife for a wide variety of cutting tasks, some wet and some dry... and don't really want to spend too much time maintenancing the knife... is M2 really that much better or should I stick with the stainless?

Best wishes,
Bawko

rscanady

Enlightened
if you want a low maintenance blade get the 154CM, but if you want a sharper edge longer and will devote a little more TLC to it, definitely get the M2, ideally it would be S30V but oh well.

Ryan

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Benchmade 710 - What type of steel to get it w

It's still kinda early for my weekend so I may have this backwards - but - they both have their qualities. Benchmade's 154CM has come a long way. M2 is tougher all the way around - tougher edge, tougher to sharpen, etc. Last I knew you couldn't get an M2 blade from BM without the BT2 black coating, which keeps the rust down anyway.

Just kinda depends on how hard you are on knives and if you're willing to sharpen them yourself. I'm hard on mine but have a good diamond sharpener setup, so I just get the good stuff and don't worry about it. BM's Lifesharp service is also nice, I smacked up my Stryker last fall during my SAR team's hurricane response and they fixed it up for me, good as new!

wquiles

Flashaholic

Having used many knifes for years, I would get the steel/alloy that would give me the most longer lasting edge, even if sharpening takes longer. I have a small Chris Revee Sebenza classic, VG-10, and that sucker is hard to sharpen. I had to get a set diamond sharpening kit for it, but I ALWAYS appretiate how long that edge lasts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

154CM, less durable, needs to be sharpened more often. Much more rust resistant, even without the BT2 coating, easier to sharpen, and still holds an edge well enough for most purposes. This used to be the super steel of the day in the late 80's.

M2, A lot harder to sharpen, the uncoated edge will rust without care. Much more durable steel, doesn't dull as quickly, doesn't chip as easily.

When I thought I lost my ATS34 (almost identical to 154CM, used until 154CM became available in the US again) 710, I ordered the M2 version. Unfortunately, they never got the plain edge version in stock to ship to me, but fortunately I found the one I thought I lost. I prefer the M2 version.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a fantastic design, and I wouldn't get caught up with all the different steels. Either one will perform fine.

Ever since steel type became the main selling point of most knife manufacturers, I feel it has overshadowed good designs and ergonomics.

Make a block of garbage in S30V and people will go goo-goo over it. Make an elegant, ergonomic masterpiece, using 440C and people will push it away as inferior.

Most users will never push any of the "super steels" to the limits.

Wait until CPM introduces their newest powdered steel called 154CPM (essentially a powdered and formed version of 154CM). It will take over where S30V was in terms of usage and people will flock to it like crazy, even though it doesn't offer any real performance gains. Some custom makers are starting to use it.

--dan

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

With the black coating, rusting with M2 is nearly a non-issue, just give the very edge a minimum of care, which is something you'd want to do even with the 154-CM version. The M-2 will outperform the 154-CM in every way -- to me, the only downside of the M-2 version is that it only comes with black coating. If that doesn't bother you, and you're going for performance, pick the M-2. If you want something easier to sharpen and with no coating, and are willing to sacrifice some performance (though make no mistake, BM's 154-CM performs fine), go with 154-CM.

An important comment from dano:
[ QUOTE ]
Most users will never push any of the "super steels" to the limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, with a very strong explaining point: even if you're not going to use your knife super hard, you can still obtain the benefit of a "super steel" if you take advantage of the steel's performance characteristics in your sharpening plan. BM's M-2 is stronger, tougher, and more wear-resistant than its 154-CM. Even if you're just using it for medium-duty work with only occasional heavy duty, you will see the benefit of M-2 in abundance if you take advantage of M-2's superior properties and sharpen it to a lower edge angle. 15-degrees per side at most, and consider going even lower. The fact that M-2 can take a lower edge angle than 154-CM without impacting or chipping means that every single time you cut anything, your M-2 knife will cut more easily -- and I mean, to the point where it might take two or 3 cuts of a more obtuse edge to do what you can with just one cut of your 15-per-side (or less!) M-2 edge.

If you're just planning to leave it at 20-degrees per side no matter what, there's little sense in investing in a steel that has superior strength or toughness, because the thick edge will provide enough structural strength. If you'll sharpen you "super steel" for performance, you'll reap the benefit every time you cut something with it.

Joe

Kevin Tan

Enlightened

IF this is your 1st top dollar knife, u cud not hav picked a better knife to start with!! Get the M2 ver. Save n get a diamond sharpener like the DMT Aligner Kit for the rebeveling to 15deg n get a strop to get the knife shaving sharp.

Oh.... Welcome to another wallet draining hobby ( more like obsession!! ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mmattoon

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Atomic_Chicken said:
Which of the two steels should I buy this knife in? And for what reasons? I plan on using this as my EDC knife, and plan on using the knife for a wide variety of cutting tasks, some wet and some dry... and don't really want to spend too much time maintenancing the knife... is M2 really that much better or should I stick with the stainless?

Best wishes,
Bawko

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your preference for low maintenance, I'd suggest you stick with the 154CM. M2 and other high carbon tool steels take a great edge, and if it has the black Boron coating, it's actually very rust resistant. The M2 will require Diamond stones for sharpening. If you don't already have them, that's another 60-70.00. Well worth the cost, but may be an expense you hadn't planned on. 154CM is much easier to sharpen and care for. Great balance of performance and ease of maintenance. One of my favorites. My 2 favorite knock around knives, the ones that live in my truck and get the least care, are an ATS34(154CM)fixed blade skinner, and an S30V Microtech folder.

I'd go for the 154CM myself.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Mark

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings everyone!

Many thanks to all of you for the excellent replies! It sounds like the M2 is definitely the way to go... I'll be picking one up next week. From what I've read, the little extra maintenance it will require will be well worth the payback... I definitely plan on buying the M2 model now.

Kevin - No, this is not my first top-dollar knife - I have several fixed blade sheath knives from Chris Reeve, Cold Steel, SOG, Buck, and CRKT. I also own several multi-tools, the Swiss Tool X being my favorite of them all, being my EDC multitool. However, I have only owned one folder in my life - the solid metal Buck 560/110 Titanium XLT that I've carried for the last 7 years. I've never really liked folders, and the Buck 560/110 Titanium XLT is the only one I've ever seen that I considered rugged enough and solid enough to rely on.

Seeing the Benchmade 710 in person has changed my thinking though, I cannot tell you how much I love that design. I've heard for years how great Benchmade folders are, and I've always been somewhat underwhelmed when seeing them in person. I heard about the Axis locking mechanisms, and thought that they were probably just another gimmicky mechanism like the rolling lock or variations on the liner lock... but seeing it in person completely changed my mind. I think the Benchmade 710 is quite possibly the best production folder currently available in terms of rugged construction and lock strength, and definitely one of the most aesthetically pleasing folders I have ever seen as well! I can't wait to own one...

Best wishes,
Bawko

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

Indeed, the Axis Lock is rather impressive. I've used liner locks, and I've used rolling locks... but this one really does take the crown in my book, if only because it's so very simple, yet effective. My 722BT's still going strong after two years of use, and requires just a little attention now and then to keep performing at its best. The M2 steel in your 710 will require some more 'help' in that area, but so long as you keep it dry or wipe it down, and sharpen it occasionally, you shouldn't have any problems.

Santelmo

Enlightened

Whenever I read someone getting a BM 710, I can't help but feel happy for them since I know that this is THE KNIFE and everything about it (Lock-type, materials, overall design) has made it a modern classic.

Also a thumbs-up for M2 steel!

Samoan

Enlightened

I loved my 710. I had it in the original ATS-34.

I kept meaning to replace it but never did. The closest I got to that was when I managed to trade an ARC LS for a 9100 (AutoStryker). Honestly I got more for the trade and I like the 9100, but I definitely miss my 710.

-F

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Joe T., were you the guy who did that sharpening job on a 710, using different angles and profiles on the reverse curve of the blade?

--dan

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dan, that was me. I used the same angle across the blade -- 15 degrees for all sharpening, a couple of light swipes at 20 degrees at the end to finish off the burr. But I did use different grits on the blade. I razor-polished the entire edge (x-fine stone and then stropping), then I went back and put the recurve part back on the medium hone and took a few strokes to rough it up. That made the 710 my world-champion slicer -- a low blade angle, recurved geometry, and rough grit made it slice even through really hard slippery rope. A stock 710 could make it through 1/3 of 1 strand of hard rope in one slice, my 710 made it all the way through 2 strands and 2/3 the way through the third -- 700% performance improvement, not too shabby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The front belly remained polished for easy mail-opening.

The article I wrote about it is here: http://www.bladeforums.com/features/makeaxisperform.shtml

In retrospect, looking at that article, I did a lot of the sharpening at 20 degrees. I've since switched to 15 degrees, my 154-CM 710 held up fine, my M-2 710 has no problems at all with an edge that thin. Note that since that article was written, Benchmade has done a better job of factory sharpening, so the gain won't be quite as dramatic if you test today.

Joe

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 710 is in the M2 steel.
Incredible knife. I was going to use it on duty but it's too nice.
I now carry either a CRKT or kershaw because if I lose it, bend it, break it I won't cry over it like I would my 710 or my microtech's

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings again!

Thanks again for all the great replies! I ended up purchasing a 710 in both steels. I bought the 154CM stainless version first, because it was in stock locally about 3 weeks ago. At the same time, I ordered the M2 version and it just arrived at the knife shop yesterday, I will be picking it up later today. Having a hard time waiting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I figure that I will use the 154CM Stainless version for camping, rough "beater" use, or for use near water. The rest of the time, I'll be carrying the M2 version as my new EDC knife. I've been VERY impressed with the 154CM version so far, I've carried it for almost 3 weeks now and it is EXCELLENT!!! I've cut close to 200 cardboard boxes with it, many pieces of thin copper wire, quite a bit of wood and plastic, and a length of rope during a project in the yard. I've used it a few times in the kitchen on food items and probably 3 or 4 times opening those impossible plastic retail packages with thick clear "welded" plastic. After all this, the knife is nearly as sharp as the day I bought it, and has no nicks or dings on the blade edge. This is one TOUGH knife... if the M2 steel version is even slightly bit better than the 154CM version, then I'll be quite impressed!

Oh... by the way, I absolutely LOVE the Benchmade 710 so far - it's the best folder I've ever had the pleasure to use! Sheer perfection in design and form... what more can I say! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best wishes,
Bawko

jtice

Flashaholic

Heh, thats funny,

I just got my Benchmade 710 M2 last night !!!!

Definately get the M2 steel !!!
The 154CM isnt bad at all, dont get me wrong,
but the M2 steel is simply amazing.

My first M2 steel knife was teh Benchmade Nimravus,
I had that thing camping, and chopped up a large 2 foot long log to MULCH !
Thing was still very very sharp.

Just make sure that you keep up on it, dont let it get real dual on you,
you will be there sharpennig it forever.

~John

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Atomic_Chicken said:
I ended up purchasing a 710 in both steels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy both! Spoken like a true (sick) CPFer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif