EL panel query

PeterW

Enlightened
I am looking to make/buy a very soft and dim EL light that allows one to locate things and navigate around using dark adaption. So LEDs are a no-no! Currently I use a small square of Strontium aluminate glow plastic about the size of a business card with one side blacked out. I was looking to have a battery powered solution that gives me the same light level.

I was wondering if electroluminescent plastic could give me what I am looking for, I have a Krill light, but it is quite a bit brighter and round. Does anyone know where I could get a small sheet of EL plastic with the correct inverter?? I am also wondering if you can alter the brightness of the EL sheet e.g. by varying the supply voltage to the inverter or with a special inverter??

Any ideas?

Cheers

PeterW

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EL sheet in the Krill is actually a flat rectangular panel bent into a cylinder.

Imagine there are a variety of suppliers out there which could fit your needs.

If you have a spare one, you could even try dissecting a Krill and seeing if you can flatten the design.

EL panels are generally dimmed by varying the supply frequency rather than voltage/current.

Vbeez

Enlightened
Get the EL panel from old pager radio display or unused mobile phone display. I use them with my EL wire inverter. Actually you can make the inverter to your need by adjusting the voltage and frequency, someone in the forum maybe able to help you.