15 MCP Thor Magnum vs 10 MCP Thor beamshots & pics

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I originally did these shots at the request of a couple of people on the B/S/T forum regarding the spacer rings that were being made by Iron Man. He is not making any more.
It occured to me that with the interest in the Thor Magnum and Thor they may be useful here. This is not a double post as the text is significantly different on both threads. The distance range for the long shots is much narrower and more accurate here and there is text regarding the mod that does not pertain to this thread in the other post.

I have added pics of the lights themselves here for the sake of those interested in the Thor Magnum.

Thorsoverhead.jpg

ThorsRear.jpg

Thorsco.jpg

Thors & Comany
Company left to right NightCutter M60L, 2 Raw U bins, Gladius

I centered the lamp in both the Modded and Un-modded Thors. The 15 MCP Thor's lamp was centered already. The modded Thor has a .10" spacer ring between the bulb and the reflector.

ChDayWide.jpg

Normal shot of the portion of the hill the pics will be aimed at.
The tower on the right is what I shot at night on 3x zoom. It is between 500 and 650 yards away. Without using my friend's transit I could not triangulate a narrower range. The distance is between the yardages mentioned and really pushes the 10 MCP beams to their limit. Needless to say the pics will need your monitors set to bright.

ChdayZ.jpg

The 3x zoom day pic is the tower on the left. These are really big towers.
I was originally going to take shots of this tower. The beam was too close to the house to get good picks ( too much glare from the white paint and white roof) so I had to shoot the shots of the tower farther up the hill on the right in the photo above. I left this photo here as it gives the structure of the towers better then the wide angle shot.
The viewing angle to the tower on the right is at such an angle to where the tower appears to have one large base instead of two legs of the A frame. This made it more visible for the two 10 MCP Thors. With a good monitor you can actually faintly see the two legs next to each other in the 15 MCP Thor Magnum pic.

UnmoddedThorT.jpg

Unmodded Thor - All three beams were aimed at the base of the tower and were placed in the same spot.
The unmodded Thor dimly lights the whole tower fairly even. Unfortunatly the night was rather hazy. On a clear night the towers light up a little better.

ModdedThorT.jpg

Modded Thor - The modded Thor's beam is concentrated more at the bottom of the tower. It actually was a little brighter, however the corona is much brighter and the tree in the foreground became a factor in this pic.

15mcpThorMagT.jpg

15 MCP Thor - Not bad for my $39 yellow tugboat.

Churchlotday.jpg

Building between 180 and 190 feet away. I measured this distance today with a 100 foot tape, but did not remember the exact spot I stood on Friday night.

UnmodThorL.jpg

Unmodded Thor - All of these beams were aimed a the crotch of the tree.
Notice how the trunks seem light from the center of the beam.

ModThorL.jpg

Modded Thor - Notice how the trunks coming up from the crotch of the tree are slightly more washed out then the un-modded Thor. Also notice the brighter, wider, and more even corona. Look in the lower right corner. That faint line is the tiny core of the hotspot.

15MCPThorL.jpg

15 MCP Thor Magnum - What tree? It was vaporized by the light.

I chose this location for the long shots because once you get past the house, in the foreground of them which is the parsonage of this church property, there is lots of empty space and only one other house in the line of the towers. The order goes sort of like this Parsonage, 200 feet of church property to a large BRIGHT (amount of light not name) BLVD, house, 300 to 400 feet of land behind the house, freeway at the base of the mountain, and finally the bottom half of the mountain to get to that tower. These distances to the base of the mountain are rough estimates, the order is accurate.

Take Care,
mtbkndad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 15 MCP Thor Magnum vs 10 MCP Thor beamshots &

Wow it goes to show that a little bit of focus goes a long way. The modded thor actually looks 25$ brigter even though the wattage is the same.

Those are wonderful pictures by the way. It is a shame that the spacers aren't made anymore. Maybe someone can pick up the design and make more?

thorsider

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

cnee

Newly Enlightened

Wow, I think my $29.99 on the Magnum is well spent, except I can't EDC it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Rayzorbeam

Newly Enlightened
Re: 15 MCP Thor Magnum vs 10 MCP Thor beamshots & pics

Good shots mtbkndad.
LEDagent: should i have a description of the rings required for the Mods we might be able to help you !

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great pics! Thank you for that demonstration mtbkndad, it really does a good job of clearing up all of the confusion with the Thors that are out now. A superb mini review! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

LEDagent,

I agree, I thought that the ring was a nice $3 investment.
Iron Man may have a few left. They are just aluminum rings .1" thick 1 3/8" ID, and 1 5/8" OD. At least that is what I measured from my spare ring with a ruler. Iron Man's official statement was " About 1.640 OD by 1.370 ID by .100 thick".

Take Care,
mtbkndad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Tom_Dunn

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I centered the lamp

[/ QUOTE ]
Could I trouble you for a little explanation as to just what this involves?
Also, why does a simple spacer make such a drastic difference?

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lamp can be centered with or with out the spacer. If you look at the Thor bulb it probably sits to one side or another of the hole in the reflector. I moved the bulb back and forth till I got it centered. The bulb fits in fairly snug due to the spring that holds it in place so once you have it centered it will stay unless you drop the Thor or something like that. Centering the bulb itself improved the beam and did not cost anything.

The spacer sets the bulb one tenth of an inch farther back into the light, It changes the angle and position at which the bulk of the light is hitting the reflector by default. That in turn gives a much more even and bright corona and a much narrower hotspot, at a good distance, in my Thor. Within 10 feet the Hotspot on my modded Thor has a slight donut shape. While the hotspot on the Unmodded Thor is quite tight.
By the time the beams are 25 feet out the donut begins to converge to a point and the hotspot of the unmodded Thor is starting to spread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

microban

Newly Enlightened

if you dont mind me asking. where did you buy the 15mcp thor ???

looking for one but having a hard time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks !

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

microban,

Kragen Auto parts here in So. Cal.. Someone in the San Fransisco Bay area got one for $39 and a $10 rebate from Kragen in that area. I still think $39 was a pretty good deal. There is another version of this light.

Other 15 MCP

You might want to call Cyclops Solutions, LLC themselves and tell them you are interested in a Thor Magnum and want to know where there is a dealer near you that sells it.

Take Care,

jamesraykenney

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
mtbkndad said:
microban,

Kragen Auto parts here in So. Cal.. Someone in the San Fransisco Bay area got one for $39 and a $10 rebate from Kragen in that area. I still think $39 was a pretty good deal. There is another version of this light.

Other 15 MCP

You might want to call Cyclops Solutions, LLC themselves and tell them you are interested in a Thor Magnum and want to know where there is a dealer near you that sells it.

Take Care,

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, we need beemshot comparisons between the two different Thor 15Ms...

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

That would be fun. Only I do not have one of those.
The beam shots should be the same. I think all that was changed was the body.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

FWIW that 15 MCP Cyclops is available through the BassPro site for under $70.

Does anyone know what kind of battery it uses and whether it is OK to run while connected to a car/truck's 12v outlet?

Jon

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you asking about the Thor's in general, or a specific model? They all use 7Ah lead acid batteries as far as I know. I have used all three of my Thors while plugged into the car charger without any problems. The manuals just say to not turn the Thor's on when they are pluggged into AC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif