Nice 250MCP searchlight on Ebay

megadiy

Newly Enlightened
hmmm...what size alternator would I need to put that thing on top of my truck? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is a bit more complex than that. The light is a 24-28 volt. Unless your truck happens to be a big rig, it is not likely you have 24V electrical system. From the details we can pretty well estimate the power requirements.
If it runs on a pair of automotive storage batteries for an hour, that says it needs about a kilowat. Most automotive storage batteries are in the 50-85 ah capacity range, so 1 hour is 1.2 to 2.0Kilowatts. The option is for a 1.5 kw generator, so this estimates passes the 'sniff test'.

Many newer vehicles today have 100-120 amp 12 volt systems,
and that is going to be barely adequate. I^2 x R losses in the wiring become problematic at those sorts of currents, and the vehicle itself has so many electric bits and pieces that with the headlights on, you probably need 60 amps just to stay even.
.01 ohm in the wiring at 100 amps is 100 watts in heat! (hence the 4 gauge copper the auction talks about!)... So for continous operation, you are probably going to need to install a separate 24V alternator/electrical system, although the 1.5 kw generator unit may be an easier choice. If you want a 24V system, These can come off a big truck, or a light aircraft-medium aircraft.
(Aircraft with 520 and 550 cubic inch engines and up have 24 volt electrical systems, that start with a 60 amp alternator and go up from there).

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
My Ebay registration from back when is totally pooched, so I can't play. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I would gladly pay twice the current bid for it! Freeking awsome! Nice find, Jar!

Larry

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Those turn up a lot more frequently than you'd think at widely varying prices. Over the last two months there have been at least seven or so in different configurations...some on trailers with generators etc. There are currently three on ebay (try a search for "infrared searchlight"). Saturn Surplus also sells them for about $600.

cfb

megadiy

Newly Enlightened
-mattheww50
originally it was a joke, but, seriously, that would be sveeeeet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

symes

Enlightened
You know when you look at the font on the label and on the connectors, I'd be easily convinced that PeakBeam (Maxa Beam) had been involved in the manufacture of this...

Anyone know if they do this kind of stuff for the military above and beyond old faithful...