My new light (part of a light)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was going around the PX (post exchange- military store), and I saw a 3rd generation KL1. I then bought the sucker for $45 and took her home. I had her put on My bro's E1E body (still waiting for VG FB1) and she seems to work quite well. The sidespill is very practicle, but it needs more throw. I'll try to have it modded with a lux III. Has anyone done this yet?

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a LuxIII is basically a LuxI with better thermal management and tints, so I wouldn't expect much more throw out of the existing KL1 head. If you -want- more throw, go with the 4th Gen KL1 which uses total internal reflection optics, or else try another head on that E-series light (like an Aleph 3 with a Wiz2).

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, but I like the sidespill of this KL1. And I'm sure a lux 3 would add some throw. But the battery life would suffer unless there is a lux III with the same consumption as this lux I. Is there such a thing?

-David

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lux III and Lux I have similar battery consumption curves, since they're effectively the same part. You're not going to get extra throw out of it - but you will get better tint control, and if you adjust the Vf of the head by picking a specific LED, that'll modify the battery life somewhat up or down. You're NOT going to automatically get better throw - better brightness with a higher binned LuxIII, maybe, but not better throw, which depends mostly on the reflector in the KL1 head. The terms '3W' and '1W' are misleading with regards to the Luxeons, for the most part.

You'd probably be better off getting Chop or someone to replace the innards (circuits, LED, and reflector) if you want to improve the throw of the light. The reflector affects the throw and the spill, the brightness (a good T or U-binned LuxIII) affects the intensity of the light, and a more efficient circuit could help with battery life and maybe brightness.

At this point, you've effectively kept the shell of the KL1 and replaced it with all new insides. One option, since you do have an E1e body, is to get an Aleph 1 for a similar spill pattern with slightly better throw and an LE to go with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
just remember you gotta DRIVE a LUXIII higher somhow, to get more light out of it than the luxI
like Haesslich said.

also the dome on the led (its initial optics) can change the way it works optically , the higher dome verses the lower dome.

If your not pushing more current through, (basically) your not getting more LIGHT. so generally speaking power in is power out, minus a bit of efficency differences here and there.
is a luxIII more efficient? i dont see much difference when fed the EXACT same voltage AND current.
but my eyes are not a meter.

so unless you use some different base technology (next years) if you get more light, you will use more battery. its basically relative, basic meaning if you cant see it then who cares /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

if your trying to get more "THROW" (same ammount of actual light output), then a change in the optics somehow. original dome, or the reflector or optics.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, sorry about that, I wasnt thinking. Of course, the same consumption means the same output, duh. So what I'll do is add a reflector. Anyone know where I can get such a thing?

-David

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is that you'll have to open up the KL1 head, invalidating your Surefire warrantee in the process, and then fit the reflector properly. Reflectors can be had from the Sandwich Shoppe (link often shows up above, or in their own forum here), but you may need to get the reflector turned down to fit it into a KL1. Honestly, you'd probably be better off paying Chop, Darrell, or one of our other modders to do it for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or get an Aleph head, if you don't wnat to go through all that trouble, since you've already got an E-series body.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I actually have a VG fb1 not E series body. But anyway, the reflector wont add too much throw either because the room between the emmitter and the lens is small. I've already opened the KL1 head (old version - just to make sure), so does that mean I just blew the warranty? And so the only option I have left over is to add circuitry, emmiter, LE,....etc. which will cost me between $60-$90. So I pretty much am stuck in a corner on this one.

-David

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The warranty's probably gone by now, yeah - the moment you tamper with factory products, it's out the window. Also, the FB1 is an E-series compatible unit, so an Aleph should fit onto there, just as the KL1 would.

If you want more throw, you might as well pick up an Aleph1 head or Aleph3 head and a LE - it'll cost about as much as retrofitting that KL1, though you could always ask a modder for a quote.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, but the lens thing just screws off. How can they tell? Also, an Aleph head would run me at least $100. Thats quite a bit to be shelling out. If I mod a KL1 generation 4 with a reflector, how will that work out?

-David

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're doing it yourself, you'd need to get a reflector for at least $5-6 dollars at the Sandwich Shoppe. The problem is trying to get it to fit, which involves milling down the reflector to a size which'll fit your KL1 head. As you've noted, there's not much room in there, which may make the reflector replacement useless. You'd need a bigger reflector to get more throw out of it, to be honest, which is why I suggested an Aleph head. Otherwise, all you've done is to replace the reflector.. which may improve the beam quality, but not really improved the throw any.

For THAT, you'd have to figure out the exact angles and dimensions for the reflector that'd fit in that particular KL1 head, and then machine a reflector based on those requirements. You can ask Don to see how much it costs to design and manufacture reflector prototypes. He's one of the few here who does this, even as a hobby.

Either way, you're looking at some work, and if you need extra equipment or expertise, you'll probably be better off buying an Aleph head from someone along with an LE. You pay for performance and customizations, unless you're comfortable soldering and sawing and doing metalwork with a lathe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great advice so far imho. also you may want to see about putting it in the B/S/T forum, I know I have seen several post's wanting older KL-1's for modding or just prefer them.

I know an aleph would be great no doubt, and Chop is got all kinds of cool mod's, or maybe he can simply "tune it" with a good reflector and/or different emmiter that would work with the stock circuit, and get a little more throw.VDG

AW

Newly Enlightened
I have my gen 3 L1 head modded with a reflector. The beam now throws better with a better beam shape than the stock optic which has an ugly square.

PICT0166.jpg

PICT0167.jpg

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW, nice, where did you get the reflector? Can we please get a beamshot vs stock optics? If you guys can hook me up with an aleph head under $80, than its done, but I dont think they come that cheap. And you are probably right, aleph would be the best option.

-David

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's the new KL1 head (which did include the optics for the ugly square), then I don't what differences exist internally in that head, versus the old KL1. Either way, you're probably going to have to turn down the reflector, so if you don't have the expertise or equipment, I'd still suggest getting one of the modders to do it.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I am trying to find a modder right now. I just PMed CY. We'll see what he says. One of his customers had his KL1 modded with a Lux III and reflector by CY. Looks pretty cool!

-David