Charging NIMH Batteries - Getting HOT in Charger

reviewum

Enlightened
Friends,

My brother and I've got a Vanson "speedy box" charger. We notice that sometimes while charging our AA and C batteries that they start to get warm and then REALLY REALLY hot in the charger. A few questions:

1) Why is this happening?
2) Does this mean that the batteries and/or charger are bad?
3) Should I toss the batteries after this happens?
4) I thought all these "smart chargers" were suppose to eliminate these types of issues with all their circuitry and other snazzy stuff.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may be charging them too fast (read: at too high of a current). What is the mAh rating of the batteries and how many mA are you putting through them? There's no problem with them getting warm, but REALLY REALLY hot will definitely shorten their life.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Charging NIMH Batteries - Getting HOT in Charg

<rant>
Even at relatively low charge rates my NiMHs charge hot. This is a pet peeve of mine. All of this talk about how quick NiMHs charge doesn't add up in my book. I bought an AC2020 mainly because I felt that it would be somewhat gentle with my cells. It is a smart charger with one channel per cell. It is only capable of charging a D cell at 700 mA or less. The cells charge hot. Don't even think about closing the door of an AC2020 while you're charging NiMHs!

On the other hand, the higher priced Ansmann unit jams 1 AMP into each NiMH D cell. Geeze, those must get hot, too. Of course, IIRC Ansmann didn't even bother to put a door on their charger!

I've got NiMH D cells from two different manufacturers that are bulging at the negative poles and not one of them has ever been charged at a rate over 700 mA. What gives here? I've got a charger that takes over 24 hours to charge a NiMH D cell and half of the cells are bulging.

Don't get me wrong, I love to USE the cells. I'm just seriously wondering how mature this NiMH technology is. How much do I have to spend for a NiMH D cell that works as advertised? If I've got to pop $23 each, we're talking $138 just to run my $125 cd boombox!!! And oh ya, since it's going to take 2.5 days to re-charge those pigs I should probably have another whole set. OK, so thats over $250 (even with quantity deals) to run my $125 boombox on NiMH cells. Green may be beautiful but that's stupid.

I'm temped to buy a bunch of Nicad Ds before the Green NAZIs make them a black market item. At least it's a mature chemistry and I could score quite a few Ds for $100.
</rant>

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

how would you describe it, without a thermal probe?
if you can still touch them, it might be normal, if you can not even touch them (burn ya), then it might be charging to fast for them to last many many cycles.

if they are bulging, then that is bad.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have a rayovac 1hr charger that makes batteries pretty hot, so much I put a cpu fan on top of them when charging to wick the heat away from them when I have to fully charge them. Topping them off usually doesn't heat them up near as much though just a 1/2 to full charge does it. Perhaps chargers will have to have freon cooling for the batteries if they ever break the 5 minute barrier to keep from melting the cases of them.

reviewum

Enlightened

Friends, thanks for the posts!

I just wish I knew if it was a battery issue or a charger issue. I'm leaning toward battery issue because it doesn't seem to happen to all my batteries. I should do some experiments to see if it is a function of how discharged the batteries are when I put them in, age of the batteries, etc.

I dont' have a lot of things that use anything other than AAA or AA batteries. For the few items I do have I'm thinking about trying to use those AA to C to D converters and just use AA for everything. Sure the batteries won't work in everything and won't last as long, but per the issues stated above (price, charge time, and price) for the C and D cell NIMH I'll take my chances with AA converters.

Now if I can just keep these batteries from heating up so much... I'm sure it wouldn't be a good thing if they blew up.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sub Umbra- What cells are you using that charge hot to the touch (as opposed to "merely" very warm)? Even high-capacity AAs should be able to handle 1A. Oh, and you shouldn't ever close the battery case, even when you charge slow.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Powerizer 9500mAH Ds (from Batterystation)

DIGI-USA Hitech 9000mAH Ds (from CCrane)

I think that on a really quiet night...you can hear my D cells suck...from any location on earth...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not having any trouble with AAs.

The surface to mass ratio on AAs is completely different than that of Ds. If a D cell (with all of its mass and very little surface area, compared to a AA cell) feels hot to the touch on the surface, there's no telling how hot it is on the inside. The idea of putting a fan on charging D cells is repugnant to me for two reasons, A) I bought a 'smart charger' for a reason, and that reason was not so I could put a fan on it because it was actually designed as a 'stupid charger' that needed auxilary cooling that the charger manufacturer was too asleep at the wheel to provide, and B) I am not at all convinced that removing a tiny anount of heat from just the surface of a charging NiMH D cell accomplishes anything in the real world.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

i charge my D cells really slow. but the ones i have are rated very slow.
4400 and 4500 ni-cads rated at 440ma
the 9000 are rated for 900ma, and are just fine at 220ma and 440.
because i bulged, and exploded from overcharge a 9000, i am sceered to even do them at 900 now. but they have so much juice that taking 16-30 hours to charge is no big deal.

seems like when they put a LOT of capacity in them, they are not as capable of being abused , (less plates , more electrolyte) but the one that blew, had very capable plates, and a minimum of electrolyte.

OOPS, corrected one rate in there.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

This has been a mystery to me since I started using NiMH's a couple of years ago. I also have a Vanson and some AA's, C's and D's get hot, (especially the C and D's), some don't. Same thing using a MAHA 401. Some do, some don't. I gave up being concerned about it and just let them do their thing until I get the green. So far, no problems. You want to feel HOT, charge some AA or AAA's on a 401 using fast charge. Yikes!

Whenever the full line, (N, AAA, AA, C and D), of rechargeable, protected Li-Ions come out, these NiMH's will be gone. I like NiMH's okay but they're slow to charge and lose their charge too rapidly.

reviewum

Enlightened

Hmmm... I guess then I should not only keep the lid open, but also remove it from the drawer that I have it in while charging. Whoops!

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
reviewum said:
Hmmm... I guess then I should not only keep the lid open, but also remove it from the drawer that I have it in while charging. Whoops!

[/ QUOTE ]

(Sinefield impression) Yes, Yes Please do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

don't know why they put a lid on them things, but the directions usually point out to not have the lid down when charging. i guess it keeps the dust out when your not using it.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Gene said:
This has been a mystery to me since I started using NiMH's a couple of years ago. I also have a Vanson and some AA's, C's and D's get hot, (especially the C and D's), some don't. Same thing using a MAHA 401. Some do, some don't. I gave up being concerned about it and just let them do their thing until I get the green. So far, no problems. You want to feel HOT, charge some AA or AAA's on a 401 using fast charge. Yikes!

Whenever the full line, (N, AAA, AA, C and D), of rechargeable, protected Li-Ions come out, these NiMH's will be gone. I like NiMH's okay but they're slow to charge and lose their charge too rapidly.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not as big a mystery to me, but still compared to li-ions the ni-??? sure do heat up, which shows that the energy going in is being wasted.

and, the few that i have (nextcell) that get VERY hot, are doing so because they are garbage now. they still work but they have low capacity, and a discharge curve that looks more like a alkaline.
because they were used directally alongside other brands, that still work great , i am assuming they were just poorly made to begin with.
amazingly enough, the "radioshack" ones of various types are still doing great. a battery pack maker once told me that them and sanyos are great. and time told that he was not kidding, even if i would have prefered to aquired them elsewhere.

blr

Newly Enlightened

Heat from overcharging is a main concern in 90% of the so-called "smart" chargers. The sour truth is that most of these chargers overcharge to some extent. It is also true that some cells get hotter than others because their voltage curve during charging makes it more difficult for the charger to detect full charge and turn off the high charge current. If I were you, I'd get some high quality AA cells like Sanyo/Energizer 2500 mAh and use AA-D adapters. My Vanson Speedy Box charges at 700 mA some older batches charge at 500 mA. This is not too much providing that the end of charge could be detected accuratelly. In my charger AA cells get moderately warm to about 42-45C. This is still within the safe limits although some small overcharging occurrs. If you want quick and safe charging for AA cells get Lenmar Mach1 Gamma. This is really fast and cool charger

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey BLR
i was just reading your post on the Ni-Mhy thread, i think it is very well said/done.

this one
From BLT
-----------------------
The most important factor determining cycle life is charging. Any amount of overcharge will shorten cycle life. Sanyo writes in their technical papers on NiMH cells that charging with -dV termination will shorten cycle life by about 20% compared to charging with 0dV (peak voltage detection). This is providing that the voltage drop that will triger shut-off is 10 mV per cell or less. Many chargers are not sensitive enough to detect this and will continue charging until 20-30 mV per cell is detected. Depending on the current you are chargin at this can cause excessive heating and increase of internal pressure. I estimate that the average fast "smart" -dV charger charging at something like 1000 mA with -dV termination shortens the cycle life by at least 30-40%. Many people don't care about it. Indeed the cells are more likely to be replaced by newer higher capacity ones before the end of their life. For heavy everyday users it may matter however. The problem is that some cells cannot take the abuse of a typicall fast -dV charger as we could see from Koala's pictures. I wouldn't consider something that heats my cells to 50C and above safe. Venting not only destroys your cells but is potentially very harmfull. See this electrolyte leaking. This is a very concentrated hydroxide solution. It causes burns upon contact with skin
------------------------

I have always had personal issues with computerized chargers that detect a Vdrop myself. and that charge to fast.
BUT
the variation in Vhigh, or a maximum charge voltage, can be reduced capacity or overcharge too :-(
different cells sizes , capacities, brands, cycle ammounts, cycle type, cycled often or not, and age, act sooo different .

what can you do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif other than manually determine which p.o.s. charger will do the best job fo the cells ya happen to have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
oh well, at any rate, they pay for themselves 10X over.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi there,

My RS charger makes the cells get pretty hot too.

I've also done careful monitoring of cells while they
were being charged and i can see that the temperature rises
as the cell approaches it's minus delta V point, which means
that the minus delta V technique (which many chargers use)
overcharges the cell somewhat each time it is recharged.

There is a way around this, and it's not 'that' hard, but
requires a small purchase and some means of mechanically
mounting small thermistors, preferably one to each cell.
You can then monitor the resistance of the thermistor and
convert it to temperature, or use a circuit to do this.
If you monitor with a simple ohm meter, you'll note that
a given temperature is going to always mean the same
resistance so you'll always know when to stop charging.
The hard part is mounting the thermistor to some kind of
spring loaded arm or something so that it always makes good
contact with the cell, or perhaps you can come up with
a better mounting method.

Once the temperature rises to a certain point, you can stop
charging and know that you've extended your cell's life
span.

Please post results and techniques here if you do this.

Take care,
Al

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

doesnt your RS charger have 8 Cell slots. they are all wired in series, so they are all getting the same blast, but then you still (somehow) have to temp monitor 8 batteries. because they are all imbalanced , so they will all heat different, because they are not all charged yet.

I have a charger that does the vdrop and charges each of 10 cells seperate, shutting each off as they are (alegeldy) charged. it would need 10 seperated curcuits.

which brings up another pet peeve, and that is series charging, even 2 cells in series charging, never get "rebalanced" making thier out of balance further off.
UNLESS they are slow overcharged. (or discharged prior)

with very SLOW overcharging, series charging in 2x chargers, and 8x chargers , or Best example, power tool chargers, they can re-balance the cells.

I have good luck with a charge rate that is so slow, it is speced for the overcharge rate (or lower). at that slow charge rate, i dont get bulge, overheat, or venting.
so is the worlds stupidest charger, the best one?
(if we cant make the worlds smartest)

BUT, trickle charging isnt the best, to reassemble the plates, and get the stuff out of the electrolyte, a HARD FAST charge for the first 80% is best (if you can ALWAYS prevent ANY overcharge of any sort, and dont overheat).
AND
slow long permanent trickle, or overcharging , is not so good either, I might choose it over the Vdrop method (and its flaws and misses), but its not great either.

then PULSE charging, can get the elements back into place, without boiling the cell. hard hitting, without heating.

so to ME a ultra smart charger, will:
1) work with single cells (lots of them, as seperate units)
2) blast them at first (but only if discharged)
3) never overcharges (but always fully charges)
4) slow down at the end (it could do this with a Vhigh)
5) always pulse charges
6) fully top off SLOWER
7) after full charge does short burst Slow rate pulses, at long pause intervals, to maintain charge without trickle.
8) temp watch (to late)
9) battery pressure watch (to late)
10) Vdrop (to late)
11) can cycle them (discharge) if ever needed.

it is to late to see the pressure rise, because your already bubbling then, after all what is the pressure from.
it is to late to get the temp rise , because the internal temps are already higer than the external, and probes dont make great contact. (burned batteries are brown in thier tight interior)
internal temps on Large cells, can be WAY different than the external temps.

I would bet temp RISE, might totally occur BEFORE pressure and vdrop (boiling), and is still the best bet (like Big Al said). but some temp rise is normal, and batteries that are not so good but usable , will temp rise higher (ok toss them). sounds like the best plan, if you can calibrate it, just like the Vdrop, but before Vdrop occurs.

all of the above "indicators" can represent Damage, so the only flags were using , other than Vhigh are a cell being damaged. and Vhigh can vary also, so we might not be fully charged, or it might never reach it.

another fatal flaw in smart chargers:
Topping off by re-applying to the charger, the smartest chargers in the world, become the stupidest when you just want to top off a bunch of cells.
there they go again, torture testing them. If the power goes out, or you mix the cells up, or put them back on the charger, or move to a different charger , or different human touches them, or you put them in something ,or you dont know how much or if it was used (its still fully charged) , etc etc.

so they must be able to detect a Vhigh loosly at least when first placed on the charger, then work FROM there,
to completly top off the battery.
if its high, just SLOWly top it off, if its low, then charge it normally, till it reaches Vhigh.
that leaves only one thing again, Slowly pulse overcharging it, after some set Vhigh.
WHY
because they arent going to heat up , pressure rise, or vdrop , before they are being damaged.
and each time you put them back on the charger (or power goes back on), the charger is again braindead, and they are cool. so all the charger can do is find the flags again.

did you ever notice, that the protection and charge Specifications for a LI-Ion is about the same thing you would want to do with these?
why does the li-ion get personally singularly babied, and the ni-mhy tortured?
a good Li-ion charger would also, pulse charge them quick without heating, taper off near the end (a specific voltage) , and stop charging before there is any buildups of pressure or heat.

Oh oh i rambled again, and i couldnt afford the ultra charger anyways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
GEEZE, you guys have given me much more to worry about!

[/ QUOTE ]

would we all be better off, if we just lost a little capacity here and there, and bought into the newest latest capacity and speed technology, as the others get old anyways?
Surely my 1600s and 1800s have paid for themselves many times over. and the D cells saved me from having to go through another set of Gell Cell lead acid things, that wouldnt make 10 good high powered deep discharges.

they did thier job, and then some, even with the deficiencies in the human (me) and the chargers.