what is the average proepry tax?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok i pay like 1200 per year.on a property thats worth like less then 100k does that seem like to much.why is it so much?im wondering what ya pay is it more percange?

LightChucker

Enlightened
I hate property taxes. Property taxes mean that you can NEVER own your own home. The closest you can come is to pay off the mortgage. After that, you have to continue to pay taxes forever. If you miss paying your taxes, you lose your property. NO KIDDING!

I think that is so wrong.

Fairness has nothing to do with it. The only thing you can do is find out how other properties in your area are accessed. If your taxes are much higher, you can appeal, but that's about it.

I think I mentioned this before, didn't I?

Chuck

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no "average property tax".
It varies from state to state, county to county and even School district to School district within a county.

In Ca. we have prop. 13, that some would say has protected us while others say it has not. The state and county get the money from other taxes, fees and schemes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
also its usually based on the assessed value of the home and property, or the "market Value" , something like that.
so if you turn the whole area around you into a Slum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif you might reduce it a bit, after you get reassessed.
of course then you will lose everything, but you will save a few pence on the taxes

and YES, that is way to much, and your obviously being screwed. but who isnt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

AlphaTea

Enlightened
My property taxes here in NY are about 3% per year.
Thats about $3000 in taxes per $100,000 of assessed value.
New York really does suck.
Im moving to Georgia...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I"m not against paying for my local infrastructure. And I'm definitely not against putting money into the local schools.

At least in theory, in practice they do such a lousy job of spending my money that I'd do better burning it in my steam engine to drive to the store to buy the local school a box of pencils /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Raggie, you need to look on the form that they send out with the bill I think. They will have the assessed value of your home and the percent of that you're paying. If you know the value of the house and the assessed value is much more than that then you need to get it re-assessed.

Normally, that just makes the bill go up (mine has gone up 2 years in a row without anyone ever looking at the house or neighborhood just claiming general value increases which is bull) but if they really it wrong in the past there, they have to come out and look again.

If it's right, or lower than the real value (which is should be) then you're just as screwed as the rest of us. Good Luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o ps they was going to build like 700 k condos near me i aint sure if that will bring my proerty down i think down cause there will be more suplly then demeand but i think they decicded to quit doing it but i still see zoneing notice sign

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Raggie,

You are "rich" now... Feel better "sharing" your wealth with others? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here in California, we are probably the same base percentage property tax rate (~1.2-1.5%), but the valuations in the big urban areas are crazy--probably at least 3-5x were you live. So, the taxes are 3-5x more too.

-Bill

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i dont have no kids or car. should be less i think

[/ QUOTE ]

Raggie,
At the beginning of our nation our for-fathers implemented the property tax for the express purpose of creating a public school system and public libraries.

Unfortunately since then, the revenue collected and meant to be spent at the local level is now shuffled off to DC and the capitals of all states, depleted and what is left gets doled back to the localities. This has forced local governments to increase the amount they collect up front.

I know it seems unfair that people with no children have to pay but it's original intent was for an educated and informed populace.

Originally only "property owners" had the right to vote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
i dont have no kids or car. should be less i think

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd think so wouldnt you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif unfortunately, car taxes are paid separately and you pay education taxes if you have kids or not. And also if you decide to send your kids to a private school or home school them, you still pay to send them to the local public school.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey wait just a darn minute.
raggie, didnt you go to school?
when you went to school they were spending the money your paying now, WITH INTEREST /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luckily, I fall under a 'grandfather' clause. CA's Prop. 13 kept my taxes low. New developments fall under what is called the Mello-Roos Act so the new developments must pay taxes for schools in their districts.

I lucked out all the way. Depending on how you look at the situation I'm in the fringe of the Bay Area. The Bay Area people are moving to my area because of the ungodly prices in their area. So the competition to buy homes here are so high that the prices for homes have risen too. So the demand for homes is terrible and the price of homes in my area is rising 30% per year. If I was buying a home then I'd be crying.

My happy home that I paid $92,000 in 1998 now has a demand price of $360,000. And the prices are still rising.

Now I just need to sell the house and move to anywhere else and pocket the profit.

Since my property is paid for I do get a bill for the property tax. If you are paying off a loan the property tax is lumped in with the payment.

Luckily, because of the grandfather law, Prop. 13 and Mello-Roos Act I only pay $630 a year in property taxes. That is far less than one months rent on an apartment. I lucked out all around.

I wouldn't mind paying more property tax if I could see my money being used wisely. It is not. Because of the lack of maintenance of the roads I have grass growing through the cracks in the street in front of my house!

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
TrueBlue,
You bought in 98 and pay 630/yr.

I bought in 90 and pay 1257/yr for a house that at the point of purchase was $83.500.

You have definately lucked out!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I were looking in our current area and found a house (the brochure described as 'older' and 'cozy') that we felt might be in our range. Okay, it's old and small and needs quite a bit of work to make it nice. Talked to an agent who told us it was a bargan at $550,000. JEZESUS! I guess it's a good thing it's a tiny place 'cause whomever buys it sure wouldn't be able to buy much furniture for it!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i quit shcool in 8th grade they couldt teach me i bascialy have 6th grade edutacion i never knew what them teachers where talking about lol i want my money back i did get a gew though my night school teacher was amazeing she helped me learn so i could get ged

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
lol i quit shcool in 8th grade they couldt teach me i bascialy have 6th grade edutacion i never knew what them teachers where talking about lol i want my money back i did get a gew though my night school teacher was amazeing she helped me learn so i could get ged

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, but its like a Cell Phone contract, if you bail out early, they charge you double, without a chance to do all the goverment programming, in the goverment institutions, you end up costing them more.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My house was appraised last year at 125,000. I don't remember what the assessed value is set at. My tax bill is $200 per year.