Olight - S1 - MINI        

Thread: Question about Pop-ups?

Default Question about Pop-ups?

When I go and see Yahoo Movies, then try to scroll down any of the their lists of COMING SOON or NOW SHOWING, etc. there's this big pop-up ad about the movie "The Jacket" on DVD staring Adrien Brody and Kiera Knightly. It is REALLY friggging annoying! It covers just about all of the screen!

I've got a Yahoo Toolbar in my IE with the blocker but it seems immune from it. Please help on what to do?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Question about Pop-ups?

There are few things that make me go ballistic more than a big pop-up. Well, actually, lately there are a lot of things, but that's another story...

Pop-up and spam developers deserve a special level of hell just for them. Not so bad as a child molester, but more than the local FM radio station programmers who thought "Don't Worry, Be Happy" should go into heavy rotation so many years ago (even Bobby McFerrin hates it now and he wrote and sang it!) or maybe even like people who steal from orphans and babies.

Anywho....

In a nutshell, Yahoo wouldn't make a dime blocking their own pop-up, would they? It's the same with trying to use their spam filters to block their own spam.

You need to get another blocker.

[ QUOTE ]
    chmsam said:

Pop-up and spam developers deserve a special level of hell just for them. Not so bad as a child molester, but more than the local FM radio station programmers who thought "Don't Worry, Be Happy" should go into heavy rotation so many years ago (even Bobby McFerrin hates it now and he wrote and sang it!) or maybe even like people who steal from orphans and babies.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly! Thanks a bunch for the response!

Do the following:
    1. Stop using IE immediately.
    2. Download the latest version of Firefox. It really is as good as everyone's saying. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    3. Install #2
    4. Enjoy websurfing without pop-ups.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I second using Firefox.

Occasionally, there's an ad in a separate windows popping up, but it gets immediately pushed into the background. Nothing covers your current page, ever!

download the adblock extension and you can use a filter to block a range of addresses and if they use the same server for the popups you will never see it again till they change server addresses.

Several nice things about Adblock in that it can use Wildcards to block stuff and you can also get very specific in what it blocks. You can block a specific portion of a URL so you can still goto a webpage but not see ads.

For example you goto the webpage:

http://www.lookwhatshere.com

But they have ads located in:

http://www.lookwhatshere.com/ads

You can set Adblock to just block the above URL so you can continue to visit the webpage while seeing no ads!

Many thanks for all the responses!