County Comm Bail Out Bag (Generation 5)

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm sitting here looking at it right now. I don't know about the Maxpedition version, because I never had a chance to get one of those, but I can compair to the older CC version that I have. The G5 is very soild, all the way around. As I transferred my stuff from the old bag to the new one, I could tell that the stitching had been done to a more extensive level. The upgrades seem to match what Maxpedition was doing from the pictures I've seen. The only thing I'm not sure about is the connectors that hold the ties on the zippers together, but if you wanted to you could always pull the ends off and tie them.

setherd

Newly Enlightened
darnit! they sent me an OD one instead of black. Now I have to return it and wait another week!

blog

Newly Enlightened
setherd, how does the County Comm Bail Out Bag (Generation 5) compare to the Maxpedition one?

setherd

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
blog said:
setherd, how does the County Comm Bail Out Bag (Generation 5) compare to the Maxpedition one?

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
don't know I don't have a maxpedition one. The one I had in my hads for a day..in the plastic....looked a lot better than my old bag, thicker nylon, pulltabs on the zippers, better cord used on the bottleholders/end pockets/
the gen 5 should be the same build as the max one as they have replaced the useless bottom flashlight/umbrella holder with a tubular pocket and there is a velcro patch on the outside for a unit patch or what ever.
if they made it in tan I'd be thrilled.

setherd

Newly Enlightened
damn! I got a package delivery notice but can't get it till Tuesday now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SimplyJ

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying my Gen 5 Bailout bag for about a week now. My verdict: it's OK.
The bag is made in India and overall the stitching and workmanship is good. I like the oversized zipper for the main compartment and the use of pull lanyards for all the zippers. This bag is great for organized and quick access to your stuff.

However I would have liked to have seen the use of metal fittings instead of plastic ones for the shoulder strap attachment. Also I would have liked to have seen the use of more pinch or button-snap clasps instead of velcro. Over time velcro wears out, also it's noisy. Now I don't anticipate being in a situation where ripping velcro noise will cost me my life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif , but for a bailout bag it may be a consideration for some. I also noticed that the hidden pocket compartment is lined with plastic on one side and unlined on the other side. Anything with rough or sharp edges can scratch or tear the thin plastic lining. A thicker plastic or padded lining would have been better.

My other suggestions for a "Gen 6" Bailout bag are the inclusion of some webbing loops similar to a MOLLE attachment system. This would be handy for attaching extra gear. Also a small keyring holder sewed to the inside to the main compartment would have been a nice feature to have. Finally a compartment with hard sides would be useful in transporting fragile gear, like PDAs.

On my bag I attached a carabiner to one of the small loops under the shoulder strap attachment. It's a great way to carry my keys around. One of the other things I did when I got my bag was to get a can of ScotchGuard and spray it all over the exposed surfaces. It came in really handy three days later during a heavy downpour.

matt_j

Enlightened
Well I've been using mine for about 3 weeks now and here are the impressions:

-solid construction
-good zippers
-material is not as good as Maxpedition stuff (seems softer)
-mine already has a broken stiching
-as much as I love all the pockets it makes it little hard for shoulder carry since flaps catch on duty belt
-when bag is full baton and light pockets are rather tight
-much more space than it seems
-side pocket ties are not really that great

Otherwise it is a great bag but I wish it was bigger.