Field Day

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
And what exactly is Field Day?
I've never heard of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
It sounds like it's just for the military/armed services, but I've never served.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Field day in the Military is a thorough cleaning of an area. ie: "Field day the barracks", "field day your room". It includes dusting, mopping (swabbing) trash removal, cleaning windows, the head and organizing by military standards all manner of personal and barracks gear. Field day is no fun. The standard day in the Corps for field day wherever I was stationed was every Thurs. Field day is often followed by an inspection.

Carry on.

*Retired*
Oh, Field Day is great. You clean the dust of the fluorescent bulbs in the light fixture, clean the rust out of the cot springs, and polish anything metal to a high shine. And lots more.

I used to love it!

OOHRAH!!!

Heheh, for Ham's it has an entirely different meaning. Hams crawl out of the woodwork from every nook and crannie and get together and set up all their stuffs. The do alot of DXing, talk Morse Code, and other strange things to score points.

In reality, they are testing their systems as first responders in the event of an emergency.

http://www.arrl.org/

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
I won't be home to participate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Its a Ham Radio thing. Its practice for setting up under emergency conditions and its also a contest. Its held once a year in June. Ask around and find a Ham club in your area and go see it. They can get points for the public coming out and you don't have to be a Ham to join in. Just have to have an interest. Its very cool to see how far you can have a conversation without telephones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris
KC4YLE

redcar

Enlightened
Will be going out here in NE Tn. Not collecting points myself, but hope to give some contacts. Charging batteries now. Hope to do some 10m SSB and 6,2,440 FM. I like working 2 meter simplex.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks. I was hoping to arrange for some TV coverage of the event here but I think it's too late now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif