Truck Exhaust Rusted Out, Options?

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are my cheapest options? I called Meineke and they ballparked it at $120-$180. They wouldnt tell me, but I think thats a new muffler. I honestly dont think it needs one. Is it very "right" to just weld this back together? Even if not, I feel as though I can get a new exhaust system on there on my own, but welding seems to be cheapest, as this truck aint worth all that much. I just got done having to install a new compressor for the A/C ($400) and really am pissed this happened a week afterwords.
Picture:
exhaust01112.jpg

The rust on the muffler is just outter rust, nothing as extensive as the pipe.
Thanks,

Cameron

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id just leave it. I think from my inspection days, the exhaust just needs to be 13 inches behind the cab. I bet ie sounds better too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'd also vote for just leaving it.
Be sure that muffler is attached to the frame with a hose clamp or something, so it does not just fall off.
Other than that, do not try to reattach the tailpipe; remove it or affix it to the frame with hose clamps too.

cy

Flashaholic
no way I'd just leave it. that's a simple fix if stub coming off muffler is sound. should not cost more than $10

unclamp Ubolt and find a short extention pipe with double female ends. If you cannot find one at Autozone or simular place. ask a muffer shop to make one for you. measure diameter and length needed.

once you have the extension made. cut off section of old pipe to clean up with a hacksaw. bolt on with two ubolts.

don't see why you cannot find a muffler shop to do this. they generally will not weld to an old muffler, but will make extensions to existing pipe.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Do they still sell Muffler wrap? If both parts are secure then a few turns of muffler wrap would seal it. I have not used it in years but I guess they still sell it.
Scott

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
stay away from the franchied shops.
i have a friend who was the manager at the yellow place who quit in disgust over the shady practices there.
find a local independent who makes most of his own pipes.
if the rest is ok it should be a cheap fix.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with snakebite.

Go to a local non-chain custom exhaust place. They can probably fix it for less than $30 depending on how nice you are and how pretty you want it to be. Now this does depend on state laws. Some states prohibit patching of certain exhaust parts such as mufflers.

Definitely, definitely, definitely do not just leave it be. That would be beyond stupid.

As for being pissed that it happened, why? You knew it was going to break didn't you? Oh, you didnt? Why not? If your state doesn't require it (most do), you should be inspecting your car every year. And that kind of break would have taken quite some time to rust before failing. A thin pipe is pretty obvious when inspecting and when I did them, I would have told the customer that the exhaust would need replaced that year. A midpipe at a minumum.

Also check your exhaust mounts. This is another inspection item. If they're shot, you're going to put more stress on the exhaust, causing it to fail early.

Mark

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the truck since Superbowl Sunday 2005. Spent more on it lately than I can.

I definatly cant leave it be. State inspection in TX checks emmissions, and that wont make it by. I am having my dad check it out in the next evening or two, and we will see what we can do. We have a guy nearby who does work on cars and all that by the name of "Bubba", and I am not kidding, so I suspect he can do something for me that big name places would not. Figured it could be a cheap fix, just needed some insight on how to get it done. Thanks,

Cameron

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, yeah I agree. It shouldnt cost that much to repair it. Looks like you could just get a muffler, some clamps and a hack saw and cut off the pipe before the rip occured, slip the new muffler over that, clamp it and install muffler.

COnsidering the problems with the truck, do you think it will pass emmission anyway?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think an exhaust system has to exit out from under the vehicle to pass emissions so if there is leakage underneath into the cabin you wont get CO poisoning etc while driving.
It looks like either a welding short pipe replacement or muffler upgrade to me. I had to replace the muffler on my car and the new one was a little longer luckily because I had to cut the old one off, and it took awhile with a hacksaw and dremel.

CNC Dan

Enlightened
If you don't want to get a replacement pipe and install it yourself,
get a soup can and remove both ends. Split the can, and wrap it around the broken exhaust pipe. Use hose clamps(NOT muffler clamps) to snug it down. Some exhaust sealer would help too.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to check out the autoparts store tommorow to see if they have that pipe. As you can see, their is that U-Clamp there right before the muffler. I can take that off, then just detatch the other end at the catalytic converter. Get a new peice of pipe, bolt it on. Doesnt look tough now that I look at it more, just got to hope they have this part in stock somewhere nearby...

Cameron