Cripes! Antibiotics in my cheese?!?!?!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often buy Cracker Barrel cheddar for eating and various shredded cheeses for toppings and pizza. Well, today as I was casually perusing the ingredients list on my cheese, I saw something that ended in "-mycin." Well, you might recognize this as indicative of an antibiotic such as neomycin, clindamycin and a whole host of others in this class.

It seems that the FDA has now approved Natamycin for use as a surface antimyotic (antimold, fungal) agent in block and shredded cheeses! Cripes! Although this has been used as a food additive in Europe for some time, in the US, it was formerly used as an antibotic for eyes.

My gosh, I''m already resigned to the fact that I'm getting antibiotics and hormones and a whole mess of other nasty stuff from the milk itself but now they have to spray, sprinkle, dust this on my cheese? Does this worry anyone else?

I can't really afford to go wholly organic, so what can an average guy do in a case like this?

Wilkey

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makes me glad I'm Lactose Intolerant. Actually for three years dairy free I have not missed it. Up to that point I suffered mostly the common problems, congestion mostly. Then every time I ingested some it felt like I had food poisoning.

Some major store chains are carrying cleaner versions, organic, vegetarian and vegan. Many states have bans on labeling that the product is either antibiotic or hormone free. Seems the milk lobby feels that by one company labeling their product clean implies that the contaminated product is inferior. Maybe you can find a local farm co-op or farmers market where they are too small to afford chemical farming. Probably taste better too.

The FDA allows the addition of antibiotics to the cheese to mask the processors inferior sanitiary practices. They just have your safety as their main concern.

Thertel

Newly Enlightened
God! You know I'm allergic to most antibiotics so now i have one more thing that i have to check ingredients in...oh well I live in the number 1 dairy county in texas and theres a cheese store that sells local cheese. but still.

Thomas

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best bet is to probably stay away from the pre-shredded cheeses (and pre-sliced meats, veggies, etc.).

The more processing and surface area exposed in a factory (slicing and shredding), probably the more likelihood of either disease and/or anti-microbial stuff. Fast food and restaurants probably are another place to avoid.

I had a boss who was constantly getting sicknesses/infections of one sort or another—friend told him to stay away from the mobile catering wagons….

Seems the best bet is to cook at home using bulk items (usually tastes better and cheaper too). Always worried about sliced meats and such.

-Bill

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i wonder how hard it is to make chease i love chease a lot specaily sharp chedar

drizzle

Enlightened
Well Ginseng, I'm not sure what you have available in the state of Contemplation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But here in the state of Washington, and many others, we have Trader Joe's, and it's a reliable place to get food without the hormones and antibiotics, etc. There are many other grocers these days offering more natural alternatives but TJ's is nice because you can always find a good selection of natural foods.

Raggie, sharp cheddar is my favorite too. I only sort of know how cheese is made, but I know enough to know I don't even want to attempt it.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the plus side, you'll get your regular dose even if your doctor won't give it to you when you're feeling down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Driz,
We've got Trader Joe's out here in Delaware as well. Good stuff for those who can afford to live well or at least make decisions regarding specific things in their lives. I'll have to check them out as my daughter loves cheese.

Sharp cheddar rocks!

Kevin,
Yup. I am totally infection resistant now as a secondary result of this ingestion.

Wilkey

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
This stuff worries me because if the incredible rise in VRE amd MRSA (antibiotic resistant bugs!!!) in our hospitals over the last decade.

Jees, when I need an antibiotic, I hope it is effective.

Bob