Iraq night convoy duty light

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi guys -
I have a relative serving currently in Iraq. Before he left I sent him a big flashaholic box of lights for him to use...from keychain lights up to a headlamp and a selection in between. He's written before to say they're helpful, which made me feel very good.
While his specialty is tank mechanic, he's been doing convoy duty lately - serving as a gunner on LMTV (mid-size truck). In his latest e-mail, he tells me he's been putting the Pelican PM6 lithium I sent him to good use, flashing it at Iraqi vehicles to alert them to move over for the approaching U.S. convoy.
OK - I never thought he'd be doing convoy duties, much less serving as gunner on night convoys. The PM6 is the most powerful light I sent him.

Seems to me it would be helpful (for signaling/lighting up vehicles at night) to have something more powerful, or perhaps a LOT more powerful.

I asked him how big a light would be practical for him to handle in that position, but his e-mail access is limited and I expect it'll be a week or more before I hear back from him...plus, it takes 3 weeks to a month for packages to arrive to his location once sent.

That said, I'm looking for something I can get my hands on quickly to get in a box headed his way. Preferences are for simple mods or relatively inexpensive solutions (I don't want to have to save up for two months to buy the light that will take another month to reach him).

Here's where I'm stepping out of the zone of lights I know much about. I've owned a Mag85, I have a Space Needle II, I've seen a Surefire M3, and a Costco Thor. I know there are a LOT of things that fit somewhere into that spectrum, so what I need are a few suggestions that hit the sweet spot of more lumens/better throw than a Pelican M6, durable ENOUGH to be used from a moving vehicle on bumpy roads, but not necessarily completely abuse-proof, and sub-$100.

Just brainstorming on my own, I was wondering about a Thor...price is right, output's great...but it's huge. I still think it might be a good light to have in the cab of the truck, and will consider it as an additional light.

I'm open to Mag LED mods, Mag hotwire mods, or some really good-value lights that stay in the under or near $100 range...cheaper means he gets more batteries.

Also, relatively simple to feed. I think a Mag85 puts out an awesome amount of light (I had one for a while), but the recharging AAs/feeding them into and out of the adapters/unpredictable stability of the 1185 bulbs rules that one out.

I have a Space Needle II, and another nephew who's made one as his first mod. I think it would definitely be a step in the right direction...what's throw like on mods with a tri-sink? What batteries do you feed them with?

And for Mag hotwire mods - any simple suggestions for durable, stable lamp/CR123 combos brighter than a 2C/3x123/GH24 combo (that's one I have on hand and could send him immediately).

Thanks guys
Dave

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Riding shotgun for a night convoy in a warzone isn't my area of expertise. I'd consider a mini spotlight like a Vector or LSI. Those things are cheap, throw farther than any flashlight and can be powered from the vehicle power socket--if military vehicles have that. Check out Galls.com for a decent selection.

If you're thinking more portable, I'd consider an Ultrastinger--about $99. Pretty rugged with excellent throw from what I've read.

Thor throws like crazy, but is too big in my opinion to be practical. Need to leave room for the guns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Penguin

Enlightened
The Tigerlight FBOP is only ~8 inches in length with a very bright/useful beam. It'll definately overpower a PM6. It's very rugged, so using it while patroling on a LMTV shouldn't be a problem. Best of all, it's rechargable so just slap it on the charger after his patrol and it'll be locked and loaded by the next night.

jchock

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about the large lights as I don't have any, but when my BIL was in Iraq with the Marines, he carried an unmodded mini-mag for general use in the Humvee (maps, etc). I gave him a SF G2 (spare bulbs and batts from TacticalWarehouse and BatteryStation.com, respectively) and a Fobus mount. He used this for a time as a general light he could use at checkpoints and that he could hand off to people by quickly removing it from his M16A4's rail. Right when Sharper Image got the Inova X03s last year, I bought one and sent it to him (I guess he had one of the only ones there for a bit because they weren't in general circulation). He said that was great because it was bright, threw a lot and could light up a car during checks (allowing him to leave the G2 on the rifle or lend it). He said he started making the X03 the truck's light (he was in a CAAT unit, so this was a heavy gun humvee). He had an LED headlamp but the little clamp that holds it in its angle/position began to splay in the heat so he ended up using tape to clamp the thing in place. Feeding the things wasn't as hard for him as I sent him dozens of CR123s and the PXs started carrying AAs. He may go with an LED bulb replacement for his mini-mag (he had to carry many many spare bulbs for the stock light). He never said that he needed a bigger brighter light, but that's not to say he wouldn't have used one... A cheap Thor sounds ok if he can charge it, esp if you find a Costco/Sams/whatever version for less $$$, maybe throw in an extra bulb...

Just some ideas from what he used.

mmattoon

Newly Enlightened
Dave,

It sounds like you've got him covered in short to medium range. My suggestion would be a Thor or clone of Thor, with a modded cord. Make it about 15 foot long so he can mount it on the gun or pindle. Include a 2 outlet cigarette plug in point so he doesn't have to fight for an outlet. Extra bulbs are a must. I can't think of a jury rigged shock isolating mount at the moment, but that would be worthwhile. If there is a point on the pindle that rotates with the gun, is not subject to extreme vibration, that would be best mounting spot.
Probably your best bang for the budget. Modded mags don't make to much sense due to maintenance. Thor can run off vehicle power, you can still afford a shitload of spare bulbs, or even a spare Thor.

Good luck, and best wishes for a safe homecoming.

Mark

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try a MagCharger. The stock one is nice and one with a Welch Allen 1160(?) bulb is smokin' but runtime is less. It comes with a wall wart and car charger plug too.

Here's to a safe return.

-LT

greenLED

Flashaholic
Don't forget the extra battery sticks for the Mag Charger. Maybe someone has some of those extra-capacity packs laying around that might want to sell you one.

watt4

Enlightened
I think the guy told you something very useful. he told you what works and what he uses.

I suggest sending a couple more Pelican PM6 lithium lights with batteries. for a bonus, include some breakaway lanyards for the lights

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Under 100 bucks...I was gonna suggest the SF M3T, but the price is way off...

How about a SL TL3? Very good output and throw in a small package, easy to change lamps, and such.

THe SF G2 6p, or even a 9P woould be nice for their pocketability, simplicity, and durability

The tigerlight is very good choice too, but hard to find replacement NIMH sticks in a combat environment...

THe ability to have easy to replace parts and battery would be an important criteria, IMO, and a Thor could be problematic if it decides to blow a wire or two, or even worse, blow the lamp...

Nick

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DaveT said:
In his latest e-mail, he tells me he's been putting the Pelican PM6 lithium I sent him to good use, flashing it at Iraqi vehicles to alert them to move over for the approaching U.S. convoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the incandescent version or the LED version?

-john

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe send him 2 lights.
One plug-in 12 volt spotlight for the vehicle's power outlet.
Walmart has a good, lightweight one for around 10 bucks if I recall.
Then send along a 3 watt 3D magmod that can throw farther than an sn2 clone can.
wquiles has a UX1L bin 3D maglite for under $90 bucks FS.
I have seen this one for myself.
IT THROWS!!!!
It is an attention getter from quite a ways out with a good aim of it's narrow beam.
The beam is narrow enough at tightest focus to single out individuals in a crowd. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif
But without scarfing down precious batteries too fast.

makar

Enlightened
Have you seen the vest-/gun-mount for the TigerLight (video)? I can imagine that this could be very interesting. You can use this with the TL FBOP (without Pepperspray) or the normal version (with Pepperspray)
Marc

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DaveT said:
I'm open to Mag LED mods, Mag hotwire mods, or some really good-value lights that stay in the under or near $100 range...cheaper means he gets more batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen the new Costco HID?

For an unmodded 123 driven light, you cannot go wrong with Streamlight TL3 Xenon. Really powerful for such a small light, 1 hour runtime.

If you choose to go rechargable, then I guess a car chargable light is the best option. A MagCharger with 1160 bulb then comes to mind. It appears regularly in BST with Aero battery stick.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Space Needle II, and another nephew who's made one as his first mod. I think it would definitely be a step in the right direction...what's throw like on mods with a tri-sink?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not good, but you get a nice close range flood, I would have prefered it for searching a building but not for lightning up distant targets.

[ QUOTE ]
And for Mag hotwire mods - any simple suggestions for durable, stable lamp/CR123 combos brighter than a 2C/3x123/GH24 combo (that's one I have on hand and could send him immediately).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have no problem driving the 123 batteries as hard as the GH24 does, then you should take a look at a 3C/5x123/WA1166 combo.

Sigbjoern

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Since the bulb in the Thor is a standard auto hi/lo beam bulb, they should be able to talk the guys at the Motor Pool out of a new bulb! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Perhaps it different for you guys but in the British Army a number of factors come into play.

If you are in the combat zone you must be prepared to bail out of the vehicle at a moments notice. Anything which cant be grabbed or easily carried is useless. Lights should be able to be easily carried and preferably weapons mountable.

If the light isn't squaddie(read grunt)proof it isn't worth a darn. Anything which cant take the rigors of field use will quickly get chucked. That means waterproof, shock proof and easily serviced by the owner without any tools etc. The batteries MUST be easily acquired and that means compatability with army stores batteries. Whilst it seems a nonsense, lexan lenses are preferable to glass in the field due to their impact resistance. Length of run time is an essential factor as convoy duty can often continue for many hours.

From the above criteria (and I know cos I've been in the army)you should always have two preferably three lights on you. One should be a small 1xAAA or 1xAA size light for use around camp of map reading. Two should be something like a G2 size light (easily carried and little weight) 3 a powerful weapons mountable light.

You may notice that from the criteria I've given that the last two are incompatible with run time and battery objectives? This means that something has to go and IMHO that is throw and the use of incandescent bulbs. IME the new breed of LEDs are ideal for modern combat conditions. Very dependable and rugged and provide long run times even from standard batteries. If sensible the soldier will always have a back up light and in the rare event that a LED does die he will still have light.

I cant but help feel that one of the better bets would be a standard Mag with a LED replacement bulb which is easily replaced in the rare event of malfunction.

If I were these guys are I'd like a CMG Ultra or AA ARC, a G2 or M6 with a 3 watt LED and a 3C/D size Mag with a Diamond LED or equivelant.

Doug

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi guys - thanks for the input so far.
To answer a few questions:
The Pelican M6 I sent him is the incan version. I have a second one I've lent out to someone that I'll be retrieving over the holiday weekend, and I can drop that one into the package I'll be sending him. I can't see getting a Surefire G2 or equivalent, because the Pelican's cheaper, outthrows the G2 (from what I've read) and I've already got them.
When I first sent him a package of lights, it included things like an Ultra-G, an Infinity, Arc AAA, about seven extra lamp assemblies for the Pelican M6, an Inova 24/7, a bag full of PhotonII clones, 2 Pelican cases of CR123s...that was some of what he got.
So far the streamlight and the 3-watt mod are sounding best to me...is it a standard heatsink assembly, or otherwise?
And finally, re the: 3C/5x123/WA1166 combo -- how reliable would hotwire folks rate this? Any experience with touchiness to bumps, etc.?
Thanks again
Dave

Dadof6

Enlightened
Hey guys, although I have never served in the military, I did take a tour of a National Guard center and I am pretty sure that all military vehicles work on 24v not 12. Therefore any vehicle rechargeable light systems would need to be compatible in some form with a 24 volt system.

d_clark

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Dadof6 said:
Hey guys, although I have never served in the military, I did take a tour of a National Guard center and I am pretty sure that all military vehicles work on 24v not 12. Therefore any vehicle rechargeable light systems would need to be compatible in some form with a 24 volt system.

[/ QUOTE ]

While military vehicles run off 24volts, the LMTV/ FMTV's are the only current US military vehicles that I know of that have a 12volt power outlet built in to the front passenger side dashboard.