Tek cel 123

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
No experience here but i did manage to dig up some info about the battery from their website. Here it is...http://www.angelfire.com/on/teckraf/ecr.html

If you can't open it for some reason, here is the important info straight from the page.:

Model: TekCell 3V CR123
Nominal Capacity(mAh): 1300
Standard Discharge Current(mA): 14
Max Continuous Discharge Current(mA): 1000
Max Pulse Discharge Current(mA): 3000
Weight(g): 16

------

I tried doing some research on the specifications from different battery companies offering the Lithium CR123 and here is what i found so far...

Capacities...(maH)
Panasonic: 1400
Sanyo: ?
Ray-O-Vac: ?
Duracell: ~1300
Energizer: 1300
TekCell: 1300
Surefire: ? (is it 1450?)

Anyway, i contacted Duracell and they wouldn't give me a direct answer for the capicity for their Lithium 123 battery. But on their webpage they say: "spiral-wound cells are available in 160 and 1,300 mAh". Spiral wound batteries are batteries like the CR123...and i'm going to guess that 1300 maH is for their 123 model. Anyway, I contacted them, this was their response:

Laurence: (that's me
smile.gif
)

Thank you for contacting Duracell.

In response to your question about the rated capacity, it has been Duracell's experience that mAh capacity ratings have caused confusion and can be very misleading. Therefore, Duracell no longer publishes a "rated capacity" for many of our products.

The main problem with rated capacity as it pertains to batteries is that it does not provide a meaningful measure of the battery's ability to deliver energy in a real device. The rated capacity gives only an estimate of the electrochemical energy stored in a battery. It does not account for the discharge efficiencies of different battery designs or the varying performance in different devices. Duracell continues to improve the discharge efficiency of our batteries under a variety of conditions while the electrochemical capacity remains relatively unchanged due to the fixed external dimensions of the battery. A simple analogy is that while it is not possible to put more than 10 gallons of gas in a 10 gallon tank, there will be a distinct difference in performance between a Porsche and a Yugo.

So even though i list these capicity ratings, i wouldn't use them to compare different batteries. Someone on this board reported using Panasonic lithiums in their Surefire, giving them a total of 60 minutes of runtime. Whereas Duracell or Surefire Lithiums will give the full 75mins. Si even though Panasonic lists their battery at 1400mah, it explains nothing as to why it can't compete with Duracell or Surefire.

I guess the only way to find out which battery is best is to try them all out. So far my best experiences are with Duracell, Rayovac, and Surefire in that order. Why is Surefire last? Because i only got to try Surefire once, and that was when they came with my E2. The first time i used Surefire it didn't last for the full 75 minutes. In fact it pooped out at about ~2.9volts when other brands poop out at ~2.6-2.7volts. I may have had a dud battery, but it sure did leave me in that dark while i was showing off the light.

Locally, Duracell, Rayovac, and Surefire about the same price for me. about 4-6 dollars per battery. If i need a set bad i usually go for Duracell because they are common in my parts. But i'm getting ready to buy online, either Sanyo or Panasonic, i've just been lazy so far.

Latest posts