A flashlight without a niche

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, do you have a flashlight in your collection that performs well, is practical, and everything you were expecting when you bought it, but still can't find it's ultimate use? For me, right now, it's the UK4AA eLED. I really like this light, and have no real problems with it, but can't seem to settle on exactly what to do with it. It seems it does many things well, but not one thing perfectly. I'm not giving up on it, but still searching for it's niche.
Do you have a light like this?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes my 3w LED Solitaire. It's a shelf queen, actually in it's own case queen for fear of scratching the pretty finish. It's way too bright for the nightstand and to pretty to EDC. It's great for giving friends a before/after side-by-side solitaire comparison though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My UK 4AA LED was purchased for my earthquake kit and it sits in there loaded with 4-L91's and a spare pack of 8.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
For me it would be the Inova X1. A bit big for pocket carry (except in a coat) and not bright enough to pack in a pouch. I still like its uniqueness, though.

Geoff

turbodog

Flashaholic
I would agree on the uk 4aa led, except I finally found a spot. On my 4 wheeler. It's water and mud proof and vibration resistant.

But, to answer the question:

surefire u2 --> clip won't work for hat brim use (too big anyway), spill lacks for general outdoor walking, too expensive to sit unused

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, I think that's most ALL of them. Except for my really beat up EDC (Dorcy 1xAAA with 26 K) and the dog walking lights (EL-3/upgraded Costco 2xAA Lux), pretty much everything else is a shelf queen. I IMAGINE uses for them (camping, exploring...) but fact is, I rarely do that stuff.

Lights used the LEAST are probably Nuwai 3x3W, 3xD (too big), Arc LS grey kit and AAA's (too chicken to use), and Infiniton (too pretty).

I think I gotta get out more...

Topper

Flashaholic*
I was not aware that I needed justify my lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
I guess most of mine have zero real world need (for me). I do not need a M6 or 2 M4's or the M3T L4 L5 L6 U2 A2 2 GL4's 3 LionHearts 2 Angleluxe's Elektrolumens TSP XM2 XM3 Z3 2 G2Z's 5 G2's and others. looks like im busted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just like them so I buy them. No justifacation required just a credit card. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif
Scott /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Peal McKinley 7-LED SS light. I like it but I haven't found a spot for it, yet.

Jeff

Topper

Flashaholic*
I got a black one and the brass one they fit good in the little pockets of a umpteen millon pocket vest. I have several vests with umpteen pockets. I like em alot one of them was bought from a CPFer.
Scott /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going to get toasted for this one: Eternalights

Really cool to fiddle with but not enough output for size/form factor. I'm thinking about swapping the LEDs for some of the "high output" ones but still would have to get over the form factor thing.

Maybe I'll try to EDC it again after the swap.

-LT

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
That would be a light from my early Flashaholic days.......A Zelco 2AAA twist focus head flex-neck light with a clip on side...not really bright (these days) but the coolness factor was enough to pick one up about 20+ years (?) ago.

Zelco2.jpg

Zelco1.jpg

Still works too.

Aloha

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I have a Inova 24/7 that I cant realey find a place for. Has the head band but kind of ockward, wall mont, mag monts EXTRA. just dousnt seem to realey fit any where, outher than to completley dran the 123s. My THOR seems to be a shelp queen also.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, B-Bill, I've got a silver and a grey Zelco. My mother gave me one for Christmas, about 15? years ago and another several years later because she forgot about the first one. They don't get much use but are handy at times. The switch is flakey on one of them and has been "repaired" several times.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Aloha Jay,

Given your time line...I did a search and these guys are still around web page /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Been thinking about trying to stick a LED in there.....Hmmmm maybe.

Aloha

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an artist, I've always enjoyed colored lights, but there isn't really much real world value in them (I'm not a hunter nor in the military). I've got a Gerber Trio with red LEDS and an X5 with green LEDs.

In general use, they're really only good for playing with (testing night vision with the red; the green lights up the forest well; combining beams makes an appoximation of white; Lighting up a skull for a Halloween display; I also made a dual sided light saber out of them for the StarWars III premier.)

I just like the things though. I've also got an Eternalight Rav'n 2 and some ZZZ lites that are just for fun.

By the way Big_Ed, I find the Unilite parts (clip and angled head adapter) for the UK 4AA greatly increases the light's usefullness. While I think it's a very good light, I must admit I don't really like the switch though- its too hard to click on and not in an intuitive location.