What do you think about new NICHIA NSPW500CS leds

Grumpy

Enlightened
I have been selling the new NICHIA NSPW500CS leds and was wondering what people who have used this type of leds think about them. I would like to know what you have modded with this type of led and what you think of the light before and after the mod. I have modded many lights with these and they have made them much better. Do you think that they are good enough to replace luxeons (especially the C0 color bin nichia CS)? I have modified a PT CORONA and can not think of a headlight that I would rather have because it is so bright now. I like the flood that it produces because I can see all of my surroundings when wading the river after dark. Even though it has a large beam it has enough power to light up the road in front of my house which is approx 175 ft away (Guessing). I used to have a luxeon headlight but its beam had to much of a hotspot and not enough side spill.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
They are a BIG improvement in output over the old standard Nichia white LED.

However, they have a small blue center area, and a LOT of yellow-green corona. I've gotten really used to the blue-white color of standard Nichia's, and I like it.

So side by side, I don't care for the tint. However, that only counts when comparing on a white ceiling. In practical use, I can't actually SEE the color difference, but I sure can see the BIG difference in output!

So while there may be a bit of trade-off in tint (my opinion only, of course) the HUGE difference in output more than makes up for it.

I wish I had the skill to put one in an Arc-AAA, so I wouldn't have to spend the the $40 + $10 shipping to get one of the 4th generation Premium Arc-AAA's.

For that matter, I wish I had the skill to replace EVERY 5mm white LED I have with one of the new NSPW500CS LEDs!

They would be GREAT in my GMG Ultra G, etc! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't received the C0 binned ones yet but the B12 versions are outstanding. I agree with TRC on the colour - unless you use the LEDs to examine a white ceiling thing, the tinit is not an issue in real usage.

I have used mine to mod a couple of ArcAAA heads and a Brunton lantern (like the OSRAM but with 5mm LEDs).

Although the spec sheets indicate that these are lower in output than the 26K LEDs they have a greater spot intensity at 1 meter. However, you would have to use an integrating shere to compare total outputs.

I have found that the Nichias hold up much better to over-driving.

Paul

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What do you think about new NICHIA NSPW500CS

I spoke with Nichia Guys today....

Dont Worry guys... there is a "snow" Version of Nichia Coming soon.... It will be better than these ones too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .. it's like bettering the best

Smooth White Beam.. no Hint of Blue.

metaldogfish

Newly Enlightened
hey grumpy, i have some of the new nichias on order from your group buy, but i have to ask...how in the heck did you get your pt corona apart to do the mod? i've taken the screws out but it doesn't seem to come apart after that! any hints you'd like to share? thank you sir for any help and two thumbs up for your effert in putting together the group buy.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened

I got in on the original GB and highly recommend them.

So far I've modded 2 photons, 1 PT Aurora, 1 Dorcy AAA and a PT Attitude.

The blue spot and corona are not as nice as the 26k, which clearly are whiter. However, they are brighter and have a little more throw. Also, one of the biggest advantages are how they will tolerate overdriving.

From what I can tell the PT Aurora and Attitude were using Nichia LED's before - they have the same blue spot and yellow-green corona. Looking at the LED the inside bits look identical, down to the wires in the die.

How do I know this? I re-installed one of the old LED's into my Aurora and had to inspect them carefully to see which was the old one.

Oh, everything is now super bright. My Aurora puts out as much light as my EOS (Luxeon 1 watt) on high!! THe beam is not as white or as throwy, but bounced off the ceiling, the output is definitely comparable.

Thanks again to Grumpy for setting this GB up.

AdamW

Newly Enlightened

I am waiting for V-rank CS LED's, in the clean white "snow" tint ViReN mentioned.

Grumpy, do a group buy on these if, or when, they are available!

Adam

Grumpy

Enlightened

REMOVE THE BATTERIES BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING AND DO NOT REINSTALL BATTERIES UNTIL YOU HAVE CHECKED THE NEW LEDS THAT YOU INSTALL WITH A OHM METER THAT WAY IF YOU GET TO MUCH SOLDER YOU MAY BE ABLE TO REMOVE IT BEFORE DAMAGING YOUR LIGHT.You have to remove the back cover by prying on it a little because it has a black sealant to keep out the water. It is not that hard to pry apart. It has a heat sink that has heat transfer compound between it and the electronics. Make sure to remove all of the heatsink compound before you start soldering. Also make sure that when you reassemble that you add some heat compound back.
On the back of the circuit board there is only a very very small area around the pins on the leds to solder in without shorting out. Please look under magnifying glass to see the small black ring around the pins. If you add to much solder back or get it in the wrong place it would not be good. I have modified several different types of lights with these leds that were very easy to do but this light is very easy to mess up. I would recommend using a OHM meter after installing new leds. Place on both pins of each of the leds to make sure that there is not a short. The leds will show a very small reading themselves. I am new to soldering and had some help. You may know alot more than I do. I would not recommend if you are not a expert soldier or have someone to help you that is. Also the power leads that come from the battery pack will need to be desoldered for you to remove the circuit board. Make sure to notice the orientation of the leds before you remove so you will know how to reinstall correctly. If I remember correctly one of them turns opposite from the others. Also another area where it would be easy to mess up is where the power leads from the battery pack are soldered. IF the new solder that you add is to high then it will contact the heatsink a short out.I emailed PT and they said that they will be using this new led as soon as they use up their remaining stock of the old leds. I would recommend waiting on them that way your warranty will not be affected and you would not take a chance on damaging your light.
Sorry that I am not very good at giving directions.

Grumpy

Enlightened

ViReN
Please let me know when the snow becomes available. I would like to set up a group buy for these if you do not want to.
Thanks very much for all of your help.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Grumpy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Sure, Anytime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif As soon as i hear from them.. i will notify you in PM

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry to say, I don't quite like the gold/yellow tint. This is what I mean...

2003 Arc-AAA vs Nichia Groupbuy
arcaaa_vs_nichia.jpg

The Snow LEDs mention above is impressive, I've seen them, it's very close to Luxeon W0. Count me in if there's a groupbuy, yup Grumpy good job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif. Hopefully, Nichia will let us have better tint/bin next groupbuy.

chanik

Newly Enlightened

There are no V grade snow nichias scheduled yet. So they are at least several months out. Sorry to disappoint

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

James, I received my C bins today. Thanks! Here are some beam shot comparisons. Drive current was about 28mA - I bumped it to about 70mA as well but the colour didn't shift much. The C bins are much more yellow. The B bin is the one I did the burn-in with. It "seemed" brighter than the C bin but the colour may have altered my perception. That corona ring does exist for real that you can see in the C bin photos.

Both are Nichia CS LEDs. Left is C bin Right is B bin.

Same with different exposure.

Paul

Grumpy

Enlightened

Do you like the B or C color bin better?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

James, I would have to say I prefer the B colour bin.

Paul