Light for a girl please?

NightLite

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

My niece is 24 and she just passed her medicine, she will soon go to a small town far from London to be a general practitioner in a small clinic, I am worry about her finishing work late, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gifon her own, so I want to buy her a good light but something small enough for her handbag, can you guys recommend something for a girl? I am thinking of QIII but I don't think she will appreciate the agressive look of it..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

SolarFlare

Enlightened
London UK or London somewhere else?

Anyway my girlfriend loves the CR2 lights Orb Raw, Ichishiki, Jil. She'll carry them, but nothing much bigger. If I try to put a light in her bag it has to be "one of the small ones"

I think the ones I mentioned are good lights but they're not a "security" light you need a button, twisties are no deterent they take too long to get out and operate. I'd buy her a CR2 Mcgizmo body and then fit some e series bits, probably a KL1 head and a z 57 clickie. If money is unimportant then just get her an HDS EDC 60, but remember to include the reciept incase she wants to change it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wallyrulz

Enlightened
I didn't know they made flashlights (torches) for girls! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Only kidding! I gave my wife a Q3 and she really loves it. The only problem I could think of would be when she had to buy batteries. Maybe one of AW's cute little chargers would be the ticket. It is brighter on rechargables to boot.

HTH

Topper

Flashaholic*
Maybe a AA Maglight with a LED drop in? They come in lots of cute colors and there are several sources for a easy swap bulb to LED not blinding but good light to see by.
If your looking to blind you need something bigger and less "cute" I have a lime green AA mag with a green LED from Intrech(spelling?) it is cute and fun I think if a cranky old redneck in Arkansas thinks its "cute" an English girl is bound to agree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
An E2E Winelight ( if you can find one) is way cute but far more costly.
Best of luck finding the right one.
Scott /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd give her something real small for her handbag - like a Nuwai 2xAAA half watter, and something as bright as affordable (but which can still fit in her purse in a pinch) in case she should feel she really needs a light sometime. From a QIII up to the sky's the limit. I'd probably take the clips off the lights because my wife/daughters seem to like "smooth" ligthts lots better than tactically ones.

Be sure to give her some spare batteries if it uses anything exotic or lithium.

NightLite

Newly Enlightened
SolarFlare, London UK. Cheers guys, I was going through the reviews, would you guy recommend an Inova T1 or may be a T2? Small enough? Anyone compare the T1 and T2 with QIII before?
Show her my MagAA with led drop-in, she didn't like it. Nuwai 1W looks good enough for myself!
Can't afford for a HDS, may get one for myself if I can afford one!

SolarFlare

Enlightened
E1e and just get her 2 bulbs and 2 batts for every birthday and christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

rookie

Enlightened
Try the newer E2L from Surefire. It should fit her bag and also has a 3W Luxeon. Do you know if she will be able to get CR123s easily and cheap where she will be at?

greenLED

Flashaholic
yeah, my wife doesn't like the "agressive" look of some of the lights I like. How about:

One of the new Lux-based Inovas. I'm sure you can get them in Ti color. Excellent finish, bright, non-agressive looking.

A silver mini-Mag with a LED drop-in? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif To second Topper's offer, I have a some gold colored mini-Mags on sale on BST if you're interested. Here's the link.

If you're willing to spend some more cash (and somehow mask the agressiveness), an e2E, or E2L, or L4 from SureFire might be nice. Don't forget the rechargeable Pila 168S batts!

The_virus

Enlightened
nerdgineer's idea of a 0.5w Nuwai is a good one I think. The AAA lights are small (especially the 1AAA obviously) and bright. I think the real key to giving a flashlight to someone who isn't a flashaholic is easily replaceable batteries. CR123's are fantastic fuel for bright outputs, but a real hassle and expense if you don't know where to get 'em for about a buck each. I wouldn't want to spend 10 bucks a pair for batteries that will last 2-3 hours either!

The AA versions of the Nuwai 0.5w lights are considerably fatter at the bezel, but are also noticeably brighter. A 1AA 0.5w is also pretty short which would easily fit in a purse or rucksack. The two-stage version of the 1AA 0.5w is great too, the low setting will run much longer and has great output for its size while the high setting is about the same as the regular 1AA 0.5w light.

My girlfriend loves the Dorcy 1AAA LED I gave her. She likes the red colour especially, although a few other colours are available to suit anyone's taste. Great little light for the price, and you can upsize to a 2AA 4LED for better runtime and output, and you're still at about the same size as a MiniMag.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife broke a nail trying to press the Q-III button. If she has long nails, don't choose this light.

Jeff

*Bryan*

Enlightened
My wife EDC's a Surefire E2d and soon she may be EDCing a Pelican 3 watt also..either that ir a EDC HDS...

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would highly recommend an AA Minimag with the $30 MadMax Lite WO sandwich with RYOJ LED, from the Sandwich Shoppe.

When you order, add the 17mm reflector. She will have a nice looking light that uses AA batteries and has a bright, beautiful beam. I get nearly 4 hours to 50% brightness (640 lux to 320 lux) on a fresh set of alkalines, and you have "moon mode" light after that. This is a fantastic little sandwich.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The non-existent L4-SG.. I think that would go well with chicks, but Surefire's never made an L4 in SG and may well never. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

The Winelight is not bad too if they like the color. It has been endorsed by the highest power on CPF - lady Sasha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Personally I'm impressed by the Winelight even though it is not my color and I'm a guy. I helped buy one for someone I know, and I got a chance to look at their new toy. It's pretty!

"bling" factor might count. I always felt slightly strange presenting an olive-drab HA3 light to someone who values aesthetics. The problem is all the nice lights (from an engineering perspective) tend to come in HA3, especially Surefires. Either that or black, but I don't know how many chicks dig black HA3.

My dilemma is this: should I give away the less sophisticated but more attractive E2e-SG to some lucky lady, or the feature-loaded L1 LumaMax that has a VERY dull exterior appearance? Both are excellent lights in their own way.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Lights I've given to ladies in my family:

1. Gerber Trio: 2AA/3 LED, rugged, purse-able, get the silver one for aesthetics; $24.
2. PEAK Matterhorn 3 LED: 1 AAA, great for purse or keychain; get the brass one for best aesthetics.
3. Surefire E1 "Winelight" version: per KevinL's recommendation, this one is a truly classy gift.
4. Streamlight Luxeon Jr.: 2 AA, LED reliability, same size as a Mini-Mag, $30.
5. Streamlight Luxeon Tasklight: 3 AAA, a tad long for a purse, but still handy... and a good emergency truncheon.

Personally, I feel the whole female objection to "aggressive" lights is a crap-load of cultural conditioning that needs to be stomped to death. They need to be taught that a light is a tool, just like a hammer or screwdriver -- and they don't make 'em in pretty paisley colors and lovely feminized designs for the Oprah-fan demographic.

Since the young female doctor here will be working late hours, if she was my sister (and given Britain's soaring crime rate and weapons/self-defense phobias) I'd equip her with a Pelican M6 or Surefire C2 incan light to cut through night fog... and bright enough to scare the cojones off any miscreant lurking in some parking lot's shadows.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TonkinWarrior said:

Personally, I feel the whole female objection to "aggressive" lights is a crap-load of cultural conditioning that needs to be stomped to death. They need to be taught that a light is a tool, just like a hammer or screwdriver -- and they don't make 'em in pretty paisley colors and lovely feminized designs for the Oprah-fan demographic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said TonkinWarrior! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

X33

Enlightened
My vote goes to the Inova T1 and the Streamlight Lux Jr 2AA and the L4.