Ever cut yourself with your fancy EDC knife?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not enough room in the title to say, "Ever cut yourself doing something STUPID with your fancy, extra sharp EDC pocket knife?"

I'm better now but for a while I used to have a fetish for having a very, very sharp EDC pocket knife. I actually used to carry 2 EDC knives (probably before my EDC flashlight took the place of one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif). One was the "dull" one - which was not dull at all- used for cutting string, boxes, and the like. The other was the "sharp" one which I didn't cut anything with ( how else could you be sure it stayed sharp.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

The only purpose of the sharp knife was to show your colleagues how sharp your knife was (shave hair, shave paper, etc.).

So anyway, one Sunday I went out to get our very heavy Sunday paper which was securely tied with strong twine. Half asleep, I held it by the string with one hand and, with the other, clipped the string with a swipe of my little (1.9" blade) sharp knife.

The string parted nicely and I was about to start reading when I noticed this line of red on my knuckle... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.

Needless to say, I had also inattentively clipped my knuckle almost to the bone, without even feeling it at first. Felt it later though.

I got it stiched up at the emergency room and, as penance for being so dum, gave accurate descriptions of what had happened to the doctors. Now, I point the blade AWAY from my hand and swipe OUTward...

Am I the only one?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ever cut yourself doing with your fancy EDC?

Oh yes,

Carelessness bit me several weeks ago. Well carelessness and stupidity. I was trying to cut the plastic band off of a bottle and held the bottle in my left hand, cutting away with my right, but with the blade facing my left had. Stupid. The tip cut the band and slipped against my pinkie and cut pretty deeply. Got cleaned up and patched up and when I went to clean the kitchen up later that evening, I found spurts of blood all over a colander full of blueberries, the counter and on the floor. Funny, I didn't remember there being that much blood.

It was a Benchmade Doug Ritter MiniRSk and it was sharp.

I cringe just thinking back as my finger is still sensitive.

Wilkey

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Done it!

Cutting hose with my Benchmade, trying to make a perfectly square cut, it's sharper than I thought and cut that hose so quick I couldn't get my thumb out of the way! Perfectly straight cut across the ball of my thumb. No stitches necessary, and it healed without a scar.

My newly graduated son asked for the same knife for a graduation gift, and repeated the mistake within 3 days! Like father, like son!

Bill

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Me too.

Showing off a new Spyderco Police to my dad. Took a carrot in my left hand and did a chopping cut and caught the side of my left index finger along with the carrot. Took of a big slice of meat from the side, kinda like a flap, still attached on one of the four sides. Blood spurting out everywhere.

Went to the ER, doc said it was deep enough to need stitches but too deep to cut off the flap and have the remaining hole fill back in. He sewed the flap back on, 11 stitches, but said it probably would not heal back to the finger and would just die, leaving a crater in the side of my finger. I got lucky and it adhered back to my finger and healed. Still have a big scar 12 years later.

Joel

Newly Enlightened

I think you'll find out that WE ALL have cut ourselves with our EDC! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup, happened to me also. It was (very early) Sunday morning, couldn't sleep, and thought that I try my new Spyderco Endura on various objects. Hey, it seemed a nice idea at the time (yes, I was totally sober, just tired). Slipped and cut my left index finger near the knuckle. Needed 4 stitches.

It's even more embarassing when you visit the ER at 3:00 am on a Sunday morning with pimple cream on your nose.

It was easily the most stupid thing I ever did.

HWilliam

Newly Enlightened

Yup. Tried to cut a loop in a rope under tension by creating some slack and then sliding the knife between my finger and the rope. It would have worked fine if I hadn't somehow reversed the knife and put the cutting edge against my finger instead of the rope.

I could see bone, but no stitches were done, mainly 'cause I'm pig-headed.

I retired that knife and went to a Spyderco 'cause it's harder to make that particular really dumb mistake when tired and hungry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jefff

Enlightened

yep yep ... Mine was so sharp that I didn't even know it got me either .. til I washed the dishes.. I was like damn where did that come from..

greenLED

Flashaholic

Ditto. It's a painful way to change one's fingertips /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif thing is, when the knife is sharp enough, you don't really feel it, and then you're like, where'd that blood come from? It's another thing to cut yourself with a serrated knife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif OUCH!

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened

i cut my pinky so bad with the serrations on a cqc7 that i partially severed the tendon. it took several years to heal--i still don't think its the same.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Boy, I'm glad I don't have enough experience to compare the feeling of being cut with a plain blade with that of being cut with a serrated blade... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always end up cutting myself with my fancy show knives that I don't carry. Lack of familiarity, I guess..

raggie33

*the raggedier*

lol i kept seeing this post as saying if you ever cut ya slef with ya edc flashlight.sorry but i read it that way then i was thinking man he must be kinda spastic sorry

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of the most embarassing episodes I ever had.

My wife gave me an Emerson Le Griffe for Christmas a few years ago (one of many, many things I try to remind myself about whenever she ticks me off a little bit). I pulled it out of the kydex sheath just a wee little bit off angle and nicked my index finger just enough to draw blood. One of about four times I can remember cutting myself with one of my knives in over 40 years of carrying knives, but the timing was perfect. I can still clearly see how she rolled her eyes.

Years ago I made a bale of cardboard for recycling at work. After tying it up, I used a Blackie Collins Buddy System knife (teeny, little knife with a Tech-lock sheath) to trim the cord. I held the cord and took a swipe at it, being real careful 'cause I knew the tiny knife was real scarry sharp. It was, alright. Cut the cord with no effort at all. Also cut the free hanging cord next to it and that scared the crap outta me. I only thought big knives could do that but this under 2" blade went right through the free hanging cord like it wasn't even there.

As we all know, proving a knife is sharp is asking for trouble but never more so than trying to show off while you're doing it. This is the number one thing I not only avoid but also preach to anyone who'll listen. However, since they never do, it provides me with a reason to laugh as I look for a bandage for 'em.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

raggie, when I first wrote this, I had a typo in the title so it sounded exactly like the way you interpreted it - I've since edited it. So you didn't read it wrong, you read it the way I first wrote it.

But yes, we are kind of spastic, on occasion... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Bradlee

Enlightened

Once I was cutting some huge weeds out the back of my house. I decided to use my Colt Combat Comander fixed blade instead of a *less exciting* pruning shear. Sure enough I ended up swinging the knife right arround, through the weed and into my leg. No stitches needed, but it was a fairly deep cut.

-Brad

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Back in 1975, a folding Buck ranger was considered a fancy EDC. 3 inch lock blade with wooden handles and brass bolsters. Weighed 6 Oz.

I was sitting in the restroom at work. With nothing better to do, I idly played with my knife. I'd sharpened it that morning. I plucked a hair and, holding it between thumb and forefinger, brought the knife down quickly to cut the hair.

The good news, I split the hair. The bad news, I also took about 1/8 inch off the corner of my thumb and finger. The fingernails didn't slow it at all.
I staunched the bleeding by pressing the two sliced areas together.

Lesson Learned; never swing a knife at anything you are holding.
Other Lesson; Don't play with knives when sitting in the john. It's hard to manage a belt and zipper with only one hand.

Daniel

chrisse242

Enlightened

A little longer than one year ago, I helped my mom in the garden. After sawing of some big branches I wanted to make them smaller for storage.
Lazy me, I decided not to go to the garage to get a proper tool and pulled out my BM730. I knew it was sharp enough to cut through the smaller parts of the branches, what I didn't know was, that it was sharp enough to cut through my index finger, after it went through the branch... The sinew was cut almost all the way through, I could look at it for a few seconds before the blood poured out.
I had to have my arm in splints from the ellbow on for one month, and couldn't use the finger properly for one more month. I still edc the knife and keep it sharp like it was on that day, but I'm much more carefull handling it...

Chrisse

sniper

Enlightened

That's why I recently sold mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif