COSTCO HID LANTERN part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddaadd

Enlightened
Got #363 here,(courtesy of Mtbkndad, Thank You), I have a very defined star beam pattern at close range on a wall. Looking at the lens I saw a haze on it and thought it might be plastic. I decided it needed a polish, and was pleased to find the lens was glass, with a dirty film on the inside. Looked like a weak effort at cleaning at some point before assembly. Then I am looking at the reflector, hmmmm, seeing some film there too, my common sense had a rare victory as I didn't touch it. Lots of ripples, light scratches, the coating kinda looks like an amateur paint job. I assume the coating is delicate aluminized?? This reflector is a metal bucket, any sense/benefit in having the inside polished and chrome plated?? Or recoated with LOP?? I most likely should just leave it alone??

THE_MFG

Newly Enlightened
Has been watching this for few days. First of all, thanks everyone who is interested in this HID Spotlight. Appreciate your enthusiasm for new technology of lighting. Believe or not, we are the actual manufacturer for the Costco HID Spotlight. I am very impressed by Mr_Ted_Bear's informative posts. And more, the 42 spotlights that he bought for CPFers. I have to thanks each of you giving us such support by buying this HID spotlight. We know from the begining of building this spotlight that it would be loved by those, like you, who truly love a better illumination. Well, Please feel free to drop us a line if you have any question. I will be around frequently.

Wendy

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, one of the things on my mind Wendy is how would we go about obtaining replacement parts such as bulbs, ballests and the like. Some more detailed specifications would be welcome as well as anything you would be willing to volunteer about the light itself, your company, and other products that you offer.

Welcome to CPF, You'll find that we are a somewhat fanatical and loyal bunch who love our lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
THE_MFG said:
Has been watching this for few days. First of all, thanks everyone who is interested in this HID Spotlight. Appreciate your enthusiasm for new technology of lighting. Believe or not, we are the actual manufacturer for the Costco HID Spotlight. I am very impressed by Mr_Ted_Bear's informative posts. And more, the 42 spotlights that he bought for CPFers. I have to thanks each of you giving us such support by buying this HID spotlight. We know from the begining of building this spotlight that it would be loved by those, like you, who truly love a better illumination. Well, Please feel free to drop us a line if you have any question. I will be around frequently.

Wendy

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa...that's pretty cool! Welcome to CPF. I hope you can stay a while.

Any information as to what Costco has planned for these lights? Do you have intentions of selling them through any other companies? Do you make any other lights?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif for taking the time to come here and post about the spotlight! Main thing is that we're hoping it won't be the last of them, I didn't have enough spare cash to pay for the light and shipping (the latter being the bigger problem) so I had to pass on the Costco buy. But this has got to be the best value for money HID I have ever seen.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The second least expensive one ive seen was the Havis Shields 35w at about $180. And that was without a battery. So this light is definately a solid deal.

Shane

tysonb

Newly Enlightened
Windsor, Canada - across from warzone D (Detroit)
Wendy, Welcome to CPF!

My big question is how can we get more of these to places other than the west coast of the USA?

Do you manufacture them under your own brand name, and what is the cost? If you could include pricebreak for quantities, that would be great too.

Thanks,

Tysonb

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
I would add, that considering that the cheapest other HID alternative is over 300 bucks, that I'd be willing to pay a bit more for some increase in quality, and perhaps some improvement in things like the reflector. Speaking for myself, I would not blink at $150 for this level of performance in a reliable light with a decent beam.

Mr. Bear had a substantial number of units he had to return. Not a problem at Costco with their very liberal return policies, but not a 'lottery' I'd care to risk on a 'one of' group buy from China. I suspect Costco pushed the price very hard and Wendy and company could do much better in both quality control and performance for a few dollars more.

My 2¢

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I have to say is WOW!!! I just got mine today... and
waiting for it to get dark! My poor brother lugged two back
from CA today.

If someone in georgia would like one I may sell my second one...
I just don't want to ship it cuz it's HUGE so you'd have to pickup.

ddaadd

Enlightened
Am noticing that the common reaction to seeing the Costco HID's beam for the first time is laughter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ddaadd said:
Am noticing that the common reaction to seeing the Costco HID's beam for the first time is laughter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i dont know about others but mine was laughter from a "holy crap this thing is bright" point of view, not laughter as in "This is a joke right?".

Shane

JohnF

Enlightened
I just returned from 10 days camping in North Eastern Nevada, brought my brand new Costco HID of course. It is really quite impressive. We often camped in canyons, and it would easily reach 3/4 mile to the far canyon wall.

It was my contingency for vehicle mechanical failure in very remote areas - I figured I could, with a cardboard cover, SOS nearby towns or aircraft. And, it was very fun to just play with. Made me really think about all the dust and insects that must make its way into our lungs.

John F

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Wendy (THE_MFG)

I been out of the forum for a while and I'm stunned of the price drop of HID, at that price halogen is pretty much dead, it doesn't stand a chance against your offering.

Could you formally introduce your company? Guess we all like to know your company name, business address, webpage, product line, prices and contact information. If you look around the forum you will find that there are several top HID manufacturers sharing and recieving ideas from the members some of which are real artists in creating extraordinary lights, please visit frequently.

Sincerely
AlexGT

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother's girlfriend was laughing a bit when she first saw how bright it was. When I first turned it on I felt a pretty big, and very long lasting rush of excitement. I immediately called a friend and sent some email!

Tonight, the 4th of July, I set the light on the grass in my back yard pointing strait up for my own 4th display. You'd never know that fireworks were actually illegal in my city with the amount going off. The extra smoke seemed to make the light even more impressive. I drove around the block in my car to see how far I could see it. I could see it shining (strait up) from at least 1/4 mile away.

Hurray! It looks like we might get some customer support for our Costco HID's! I was thinking that maybe I should buy a spare, but with Wendy (Hi Wendy) having logged on I kinda feel a little pressure to do so. Keep us posted!

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who will be the first to modify this into a 2D mag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi Wendy, sell them to wallymart too.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI Wendy,

You have a really nice product. I own two myself. With a few fixes and better marketing this could be a real great and successful light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
last night I took out the HID to the fireworks display in the marina Del rey area.
The fireworks were not seen because of low cloud's.
Any way Well before the show started I figures I would fire up the HId and shine it around from a high place with a wide field of view. The /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif oohs and aaaas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifwere evident immediately. the WOW!'s and such were also evident. It is possible to really reach out and touch somebody with this light. While I put on my show and was having loads of fun there became a group of people who decided they didn't like the show and rudely complained loudly. If they would have asked nicely from the start I would have turned it off. but they didn't It became ugly. I it seems was assaulting these people with a 17 pound flashlight. Heck I was not shining it into their eyes imagine if I were they would still be seeing spots. So to make a pretty boring story short if you do have one of these use it with care. It goes a LONG way and has the potential to truly disturb some people. so please be careful with them use them responsibly you would never want to shine one of these into a home a a half mile away it has the potential to freak people out.
watch out especially in crowded areas.
Common sense should prevail. I have got to say there are people out there who would like to take away your right to own a bright flashlight as much as they would like to take your gun away. These people are to be avoided with this light it migh put them over the edge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Yeasumofo

Status
Not open for further replies.