Innova XO3 or StreamLight TT2 or other ?

wuchak

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the sight and have been reading through the posts getting educated about flashlights. I'm wondering if you all can help me select a light. I am looking for a light to use for evening dog walks. My ideal light would have:
-long runtime since it will be used almost nightly
-low setting to use in poo scooping / increase visibility in traffic
-high setting to use as a defense light if someone gets too close for comfort
-2x123 size
-price < $80
-tail cap switch with momentary on
-all LED so no worries about breaking bulbs

I have not been able to find a light that meets all of the items on my list. The two that come closest so far are the StreamLight TT2 and the Innova XO3. Is there another light that meets more of my criteria? Are the TT2 and the XO3 bright enough to serve as a defensive light?
Thanks,
Wuchak

dwl1966

Newly Enlightened
wuchak

I think I'd recommend you go look at flashlightreviews.com for some very useful info. The whole concept of using a flashlight as a defense light is a tricky subject. It depends on who/what you intend to use it on, lighting conditions at the time, etc., and all it might buy you at most is one or two seconds to start running away as fast as you can! Look for other threads that deal with this in much deeper detail. Good luck!

Doug

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
wuchak said:

-high setting to use as a defense light if someone gets too close for comfort

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi,

How big is your dog? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That said, I second the reccommendation to check out Flashlightreviews.com, Quickbeam who runs the site is also the moderator of the Review section here. He does a superior review job, and makes it easy to directly compare features such as the beam, output, and size between various manufacturers and models.

I have several of the Neuwai lights and can attest that their quality is excellent and they offer superior value for the price, you might want to look at their current offerings to see if one might meet your needs. Quickbeam has reviewed a number of them.

Wrangler

Enlightened
If you need your light every night, you`ll go trough lots of batteries quickly.
Better get a rechargeable, such as the Inova T4 for example.

Wolfgang
BTW welcome to the forums, Wuchak!!!

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
The XO3 is impeccabely built. It combines an array of very nice parts with a beautiful finish and an optic system not used by many lights for a very tight spot. But like Sub Umbra said, it does not dim. This is the only thing about this light that has troubled me in the slightest...but even so it has not changed my love of the XO3. If you want a light that can keep up with the XO3 and also has a dimming feature, you might want to think about a surefire light. But don't expect to pay less than $100 for one. As far as batteries go, if you are set on the CR123's check out www.surefire.com as they have a very good deal--12 for $15. Best of luck and welcome to the forums!

DanK

wuchak

Newly Enlightened
The dog is only 25lbs. and she runs behind me to hide. She's great company but not much protection.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I stopped out to Cabela's and looked at a bunch of lights. They carry SureFire, Browning, Streamlight, Innova, Brinkman, and a complete line of their own.

I REALLY like the SureFire Aviator but the $180 price is too high. I bought the StreamLight TT2 for $35 to try for now. I just don't like the side switch as well as the tailcap style.

After reading through the reviews and this site (bad influences) I decided that I have to try the Nuwai Q-III so I ordered one from Advancedmart. After I ordered it I saw it someplace else online cheaper. I sent a note to Advancedmart and John immediately replied that he would match the lower price. That's great service in my book.