Ever ate/drank something way out of date?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reached in the far corners of the fridge and grabbed what I thought was the new V8. Now I live by myself so things like that I'll sometimes just take the lid off and take a pull rather then pour it in a glass. Well I took a big slug and immediately spit out what I didn't immediately swallow as it was very close to drinking red vinegar. Then I saw the new jar at another location and took a gander at the expiration date of the one in my hand and it was September of last year. Ten months out of date, gross. I hope I don't get sick!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol all the time.part of being a little on the poor side.there used top be a store near me that erased the dates on the foods.they sold stuff they bought from places who went outas bumesness or that was older.lol that place was bad news saw a mousees in there in the day time crowded store who knows what happens at night

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
For me it depends on the source. For instance i know that a certain brand of milk in this area tends to be good a coupla days past the expiration date when other brands go kaput. Maybe better pasteurization, colder delivery trucks, who knows. Anything that's closer to the expiration date gets the sniff test regardless!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
dang pw milk only last me like 2 days per gallon yummy

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up with some past-dated cake mixes a few years ago. Decided to cook them all for fun. Picture large pancakes made with cleaning chemicals, and you'd have a good idea of how they turned out.

Oh yeah, how out of date were they? The oldest I could find a stamp on was 1972!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
dang pw milk only last me like 2 days per gallon yummy

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the only member of the household who drinks milk and I only use it for cereal in the morning so it tends to last a long time. When I was a kid I used to drink chocolate milk like it was going out of style! I loved that stuff.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earlier this year I had a hankerin' for some Miracle Whip. Think I spread it on crackers or something. After about 3 days of eating this stuff, I noticed that it was several months past its expiration date. Looked in the jar and it was smelling nasty and had changed color. I hadn't noticed cause I was woofing it down. Didn't make me sick, but totally grossed me out. It was like something on Fear Factor.

best regards
me

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I had some yogurt the other day (won't even tell you how old it was - but it was OUTDATED BIG TIME!!)...

It was sealed - opened it up, poured off a little fluid. Smelled alright, took a little taste - it was FINE!! I was going to buy some more and just throw the other couple out, but for some reason - it seemed "nuclear" so I kept them!

Mednanu

Enlightened
Yeah - chocolate milk. Got a quart at a truckstop on my way home from a route I used to drive ( it wasn't showing up out of date though ). Took a big swig and got a mouthful of CHUNKS ! MMMMMmm..... YUCK !!!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't eaten perishables much past expiration date since college (LONG time ago). However, I do get "outdated" candies at an outlet store near here to put out as freebies at work - usually holiday colored candies after the holiday is past. They had a real sale on Xmas peanut M&Ms one time and I bought about 50 pounds of them.

I put them out over time and everyone joked about them, but I had plenty of customers and never got any complaints. They lasted 15 months - went in and out of style for the next Xmas - and were just fine. Kind of got their own peanut "tang" near the end, and didn't start showing cracks in the shells for over a year.

Wish I could find a sale like that again... But it is well known that engineers will eat almost anything as long as it's free.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a can of vienna sausages that had a discolored sticker and unreadable expiration date. I just ate it. It tasted pretty good.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The fluid that you poured off of the yogurt was probably a weak vinegar solution. I think the vinegar tends to preserve it somewhat.

On a related note, how can you tell when sour cream goes bad? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
"weak vinegar solution" sounds a whole lot better than some other things! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
Do canned foods last forever? Ten or twenty years or more?

[/ QUOTE ]

No... it depends on the goods and the can but not forever. If the top of a can is expanded (kind of like bubbled) it means the food has gone bad and may give you botulism (sp?) if you eat it.

As of eating things out of date it depends on the food and the expiration date. A few days usually doesn't bother me (and some things like yogurt say good 7 days after expiration date anyway), but if it tastes too funny I usually just throw it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

-Mike

gessner17

Enlightened
A while ago I was eating a burger (i made) and noticed the bottom of the bun felt a bit funny, didn't think much of it and kept eating away. When I was about 3/4 done eating it, I looked at the bottom, it was solid mold, deep dark blue/black mold, pretty nasty. I guess a little penicilon never hurts anyone.....

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
its just a matter of thinking different.
grab that milk out , and start sucking it down out of the carton, and its a bit chunkey, then think CHEEZE , if its a bit sour, its SOUR CREAM.
pull out that old steak thats kinda brown, and just remember how much it costs to have "aged" meat.
ahh whats a little mold on the bread? Penicillin.

that which doesnt kill you makes you stronger . . . or ya just puke a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif