Riva (NOS) RI-2200 Handheld Tactical HID

CLHC

Flashaholic
If you notice on the website, it said minimum order is $500.00(US) no exceptions. . .So like you said, it may cost $$$$

lotsalumens

Enlightened
It's not a short arc. Take a look at the decription as well as the bulb at the bottom of the page. It's just a 28w HID light (though quite a nice looking one!).

cfb

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Design concept is kind of similar to the SF Beast - conventional flashlight profile with a protuberance (presumably for the ballast, etc).

Short arc would be a real hazard since they operate at incredible internal pressures and are not amicable to physical shock (tough to contain the bulb when it ruptures at 50atm internal pressure). I also seem to recall that they need massive DC power - not easy on a battery-powered appliance.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Looks very nice. But this Li-Ion technology in those hgihest-drain series application still scares me ... and I am sure the price will also scare me ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
bernie

KillingTime

Newly Enlightened
How do you recognise a short arc lamp? I have to admit, I don't own any HID flashlights. This is because of the warm up time (30 seconds reported by some people - too impatient). I've heard that the MaxaBeam is instant on and the spec says this is a short arc so I assumed the RivaNOS was the same (they claim instant on too). I've looked at most modern HID flashlights (last 12 months) and I've noticed that all manufacturers seem to omit the warm up time of their lamps.

For those CPF members that have small (35W or less) HID flashlights, what happens during the warm up? Does the intensity gradually increase or is it only the colour that changes as the halides vaporise? I have a feeling that the answers to these questions depend on the design of the ballast and gas mixture in the bulb, which will vary from torch to torch. If the price tag on the RivaNOS looks like a telephone number then I may opt for one of the 10W hand held HIDs coming out of HK / China depending on how the light is delivered during warm-up.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Warmup is usually a gradual increase in intensity as well as a color change. That said, the initial "on" is often extremely bright with the light gradually getting brighter over the next few seconds. Warmup time is mostly dependent on the design of the ballast. I have an Auerswald 35/50w ballast that can take 20-30 seconds to warm up, but I also have a 35w Matsushita ballast that appears to drive a bulb to full intensity in about 3-4 seconds. Though the Auerswald is ultimately brighter, the Matsushita has much more initial punch. I suppose it could be described as "instant on" since it is much brighter than a comparable incandescent even in the first fraction of a second.

cfb

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
freeze12 said:
The cost of the light is: $2,597.33

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a Maxabeam