Surefire L2 vs. U2

JohnF

Enlightened
What was originally my least favorite LED (L2) became my most favorite after a 2 week campout in remote North Eastern Nevada regions. After a few nights, I found the flood characterists perfect for camping / night walking. The low setting was perfect for reading in the tent, as I was able to hold it fairly close and not have to move it excessively because of its wide smooth beam.

I'm now thinking about the U2, but have a couple of concerns.

1) Size - seems quite larger than the L2, maybe less pocket friendly.
2) Beam seems more focused with more hotspot definition than the L2, less friendly for reading. I already own LED's with really good throw (see below.)

I would prefer the clickie tail on the U2, is there a way of fitting a 2-speed clickie on the L2?

Anyone familiar enough with beam and size characteristics between these 2 models to help answer my concerns? Thanks for your help.

John F
LV, NV

Current inventory:
HDS Basic 60 GT (carried all the time, but too focused for reading)
L2 (gotten to love the smooth wide beam, still pocket friendly)
Gladius (ultra cool, but jury is still out for my uses)
Inova T3 (great throw for the few times I need it)

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I just sold my L2 on B/S/T and ordered a U2. I would like to see some comments on this too.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Over the 4th of July weekend I got to play with my new Surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif U2.
The U2 is an outstanding tool while playing in the dark ! The very bright
and very useful combination beam has great throw and good spill. The
multiple level beam is easy to use and very task friendly. I can easily
identify objects out to 150 feet with the high beam. The low beam is
more that enough to navigate and ID stuff inside a dark building and
doesn't destroy your night vision. With six brightness levels, it is indeed
very task friendly. The size, weight, and balance make it very comfortable
to use. A great tail cap clicky switch and momentary on / off. A Great clip
for carrying without a holster. It also runs very well on the Pila 168s
Li-ion rechargeable battery. I noticed that the lens is slightly convex,
this must help with the smooth transition from the tight hot spot out to
the corona. A very well balanced beam. It also comes with a life time
warranty.

A fantastic, well designed, rugged peace of equipment ! ..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

The U2 will become my over all general use light of choice for that walk
in the woods, or on the beach after dark and any other time while
playing in the dark. A GREAT LIGHT !

This flashlight stuff is definitely intoxicated ....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're totally different beasts.

The L2 is a pure flood, as you know. The switch is still the most functional I've ever seen (beats even the Gladius, however, the L2 has not that many functions).

The U2 has the perfect balance between spot and flood, in my opinion. The low settings make it very usable for closeup work and reading. Not as nice as the L2, but very close. I could easily carry both lights in my pant pockets. Then again, I'm a pretty big guy.

If I would have to choose only one, I would take the U2, since it's really nicely balanced. Great light.

JohnF

Enlightened
elgarak -

Thanks for the useful comments. Funny what your say about the switch on the L2 vs. Gladius. As simple to operate as the switch on the Gladius is, the L2 is even more simple if you are a twistie personality vs. a clickie. I'm more of a clickie, myself, but the L2 has turned out to be perfect for my camping trips.

I'm thinking of ditching the Gladius, by the way - great tactical light, terrific throw and decent spread, simple operation, the strobe setting is really cool - I love everything about it, except it isn't pocket-friendly.

You know if anyone is making a clip for it?

Size15's

Flashaholic
You're concerns over the U2's beam compared to the L2's beam are exactly why I prefer the L2 - It's more useful to me.

The L2 is so simple and fast to use too and for me extremely pocketclipping friendly.

JohnF

Enlightened
Thanks for your help - I've decided to take a pass on the U2 and keep the Gladius (nearly infinite brightness control, good combo of throw and spill.)

Now, to try to find or fasion a clip for the Gladius - I've got an idea for that with the help of a machinist friend of mine...

John F

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like most things I think this depends on your use/situation.

I don't have a U2 (the budget just won't allow for now) but the L2 has become my hands down favorite for camping/backpacking.

I like the solid construction, I love the light charistics (even flood), it has great runtime (on low), and unlike a lot of the complaints I actually LIKE the size of it because you can find it in a dark tent or if you drop it on the ground in the woods.