wind-up eternalight

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in the fishing outfitters yesterday restocking my tacklebox when I seen a light on the counter that looked like the eternalight I see pictures of on here.
Closer inspection showed it was a five LED unit with three switches in the same configuration as the model here, only this light had a crank instead of batteries. I gave it a spin or two and it immediatly came to life, another neat feature is that it had an output for charging cell phones.
The brand name is also eternalight, but I can find it anywhere else. It was $29.
Anyone else seen one of these? I think it would be handy for the right application.

watt4

Enlightened
does it look like this? if so, do a search here for "cranklight".

ogT86429.jpg

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watt's right, one of our CPFers, DaGunn is (or was?)selling these in BST. Very good price too, IIRC, and they're not branded as Eternalights, thats for sure!

I have one of these, and I gotta admit that I'm quite impressed with the brightness of the leds. As for charging the cellphone, I tried it a couple of times, it will take a lot of winding prior and during charging before you get enough power to charge the battery. Overall, its still a nice to have light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The three "switches" differ from the eternaLight "pressure switches" in that they "slide" forward to turn on the LEDS.

Slide either of the end switches forward to turn on 2 LEDS (both for 4). The center "slider" turns on the center LED only. So you can have 1,2,3,4, or all 5 LEDs on.

No programmable "features" and not dimmable (Pulse Width Modulation) like the eternaLights, not really comparable, but again - not a bad little light to have in the ole' emergency/power outage kit. No batteries - wind em' up...

DaGunn's still selling them for $16 "here".

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
I do recall it did carry the name "Externalight" though..

[/ QUOTE ]
Ohhhhhh - that's NOT a good thing! I hate it when "they" try that type of rip-off!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

piper

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of these lights a while back. I found it on ebay during an led search (it's amazing what you can find on ebay).
I'll agree with the comments about it. It is a sturdy and relatively bright light. The fact that you don't need batteries of any sort makes it a good emergency light.

$29.00 is way to much for this light when it is available for less from a member here or on ebay, of course instant gratification has it own rewards.

A fun light, and worth it to have around, IMHO.