two quick HDS questions

triedntrue

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't seem to find an answer for either of these questions via a search, so I thought I would ask...

How is the runtime effected by using the rechargeable batteries?

And between the EDC 42 Ultimate and EDC 60 Ultimate lights, are the runtimes the same at any given output level? That is, is you set both at 42 lumens would they have the same runtime?

Thanks!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding, which may well be wrong, is that the 60 is more efficient so it'll run longer than the 42 at any level. I'm still not completely sure and would also like more info.

NetMage

Enlightened
According to some tests I've seen posted, the runtime at 42 is the same for both lights.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Runtime on the high levels is about the same as a primary cell, even though a rechargeable cell has about 1/2 the capacity of a primary one.

On lower levels, the primary cell runs longer.

The longer runtime (considering capacity) on high is due to the fact that the secondary (rechargeable) cell handles high-drain applications much better, or you could say that the primary cell sucks at high drain applications.

segan

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure somewhere in the HDS thread that Henry mentioned that the U60 @ 42 lumens will have longer runtime that the U42 @ 42 lumnes due to the U60 having a more efficient LED.

Also, read this from HDS FAQ (in the paragraph after the table)

"The 10, 2.5 and 0.3 lumen entries are from a flashlight having 42 lumen maximum output - flashlights with higher outputs will have longer runtimes due to their increased overall efficiency."