orange peel is not used in Gladius?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
why does Gladius doesn't use the orange peel for its LED like SF ? Does anyone know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Yes,
It is because they are using the IMS 27 mm refflector that comes with the smooth durface.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does smooth surface reflector relate to orange peel? I am not expert on LED. Doesn't SF lights have smooth reflector too?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smooth reflectors, like those in the LionHeart or Gladius, do not have the 'orange peel' stipple on the inside of the reflector. This means that they gain a bit of throw, but you get a more distinct hotspot due to the fact that there'll be flaws in the way the light is reflected out of the head, and the beam quality will suffer somewhat due to artifacts.

Orange peel reflectors are stippled so as to diffuse the light a bit as it leaves the head - this spreads the hotspot out somewhat, and makes it blend better into the corona, but you lose a little throw as it doesn't send all the photons directly ahead. You can tell the difference by looking into the head of a light, and seeing if it's smooth or pitted in its appearance - most SF lights, if not all, are orange-peel style.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Gladius was designed for close quarters combat first and foremost.
A smooth reflector will give a more defined hotspot. The corona is still quite bright and very useable. The thing some people do not like about smooth reflectors is that there are some artifacts in the beam (hotspot and sorounding corona). An orange peel reflector will smooth the beam out and you will not see the artifacts. However this will also decrease it's throw a little bit. I have lights with both types of reflectors and personally could not imagine the Gladius with an orange peel reflector considering its primary purpose. I am sure this will irritate some people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but if you like to look at the pretty beam your flashlight makes orange peel reflectors are a must /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
If you want to get the most possible throw out of two otherwise equal lights and are more concerned with seeing the objects you are lighting the smooth reflector is better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Those are generalizations as there are differing qualities of smooth and textured reflectors. However, the Gladius uses a high quality smooth reflector that has very few artifacts that are not noticeable when actually using the light.
Also, while it is my very opinionated and not so humble opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif, (I never have cared for the IMHO designation) MgGizmo above makes the finest textured reflectors for his lights that you could ever hope to own. The texturing is so subtle they are almost smooth. If you want a best of both worlds reflector (great beam quality while minimizing any loss in throw) his are the ones to get.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh ok. thanks for the info guys. I learn few more things on this forum.