RedCell Cheap Alkalines at CompUsa 40/$10

leddite

Enlightened
Was in the local to me CompUsa just earlier today and noticed they are selling 40 packs of AA alkaline batteries made by "Red Cell" which are made in Germany. The price? A mere $10.

I believe they also had 10 AAA for $5. Not as attractive a price.

Not too shabby.

ChrisA

Enlightened
...made by "Red Cell" which are made in Germany.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the only german battery-manufacturer I know of is 'varta'... i'm not sure wether or not those are made here.

chris

bmsmith

Enlightened
New special this week at CompUSA:

Buy two 40-packs of AA RedCells for $19.98 and get $10.00 instant savings = $9.98. That's 80 batteries for $9.98! LOL!

MDM

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I purchased a 48-pack (brick) of Kirkland AA's at Costco for $10.79. These are really Duracells under the label, according to a leading consumer magazine. Can anyone beat this price per battery?

mc

Newly Enlightened
bsmith says,
New special this week at CompUSA:

Buy two 40-packs of AA RedCells for $19.98 and get $10.00 instant savings = $9.98. That's 80 batteries for $9.98! LOL!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, very good deal, nice to beat the Costco crowd, these Redcells from Compusa that I picked up, have an exp. date of 6/06. And no limit it seems, just don't know what I am going to do with 160 more batteries.

leddite

Enlightened
the deal seems to end on sep 7 i think.

what do you do with the batteries? buy lots, and when you give battery powered gifts away, include batteries with a smile :>

or sell them to buds for just 15-20 cents each :>

or buy more flashlights

or keep them in the fridge for 2025 when the
lights go out ;>

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some of the RedCell AA too. They are made by Varta for RedCell. 80 for $10. They have a 10 pack of RedCell AAA for $0.00 after rebates ($5 - $2 at the register, $3 rebate from mfgr.)

Last time CUSA had a deal like this the batteries were "heavy duty" = "junk". Hopefully these will "hold their own".

I've got the perfect testing medium - an Opalec! Brock's test had Duracell alkaline AA's last about 8 hours (corrected after looking at his chart) before the little red light came on. Let's see how these hold up. I'll run the test tomorrow (because I'll be asleep in less than 9 hrs!)

bucken

Enlightened
Quickbeam,

Sounds like a great idea! Please let us know the results as quick as you can. Just picked up 80 of them today. The ones being sold here also show a 2006 expiration. Our store had a big skid of them but no one seemed too interested, even though there was a big sign showing "Only $ 9.98 + buy one and get one free".

I looked around but didn't see any AAA's anywhere. I just put a pair of these RedCell's in a Lambda Illuminator and they sure seem to start out good. Just don't know how well they'll hold up, though.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK! Test started at 7:00 am for AA RedCell batteries in Opalec - timed only - constant on - time before "red LED warning light" comes on in the module indicating insufficient voltage/mA to maintain constant brightness. Got the little bugger sitting on top of my monitor right now.

Anticipated finish (if cells are of good quality) between 2-4pm (7-9 hours runtime). I'll get back to everyone around then, or sooner if they drop off earlier!

Possible problems: Using the Opalec is not exactly a "high drain" application since it drains the batteries over around 8-10 hours. Results MAY not indicate servicablility of the cells in high drain devices like LI, Ill Pill, Surge, Tec40, etc., but it should give a decent idea of the usability of the cells anyway. Separate runtime test should be done vs other batteries using light meter in a higher drain light. This will need to be done by someone else since I don't have a timed camera or the opportunity to stare at a lightmeter all day...

11:00 - 4 hours and still going strong...

2:00 - over 7 hours now - still going....

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
RedCell Alkalines at CompUsa 80/$10 Test Results:

2:45 PM test finished with Opalec. Red light came on. Total runtime 7:45 before red light. Pretty darn good considering Brock's Duracells went about 8 hours. I'd say get them while you can!

Interesting point - I shut the light off for 1 second and turned it back on and it's been running about 5 min so far with the red light off again. Intermittent use definitely gets more out of the batteries.

K

K3LAW

Just purchased 4-40packs of these aa cells.
Total cost was $21.87 What a graet deal!!!!