ARC P AAA vs. PEAK Matterhorn AAA 3LED Ultra ???

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone compared the new ARC to the Peak Matterhorn 3 LED ULLTRA?? They are about the same size, weight and cost. Assuming the ARC may be a little tougher (based on my previous old ARC), which will be brighter???? Throw?? OutPut?? Before I put out my $45, I look to the expertise out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MikieHead said:
Has anyone compared the new ARC to the Peak Matterhorn 3 LED ULLTRA?? They are about the same size, weight and cost. Assuming the ARC may be a little tougher (based on my previous old ARC), which will be brighter???? Throw?? OutPut?? Before I put out my $45, I look to the expertise out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

... so it OK for others to put out the cash to do the test in order for you to save some bucks. I could see where some would think that's fine. How about YOU purchase one of each, do a couple tests, take some pictures and post your results here for others to learn from.

I'll be looking forward to your results.

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened
As a relatively newbie, I was at least hoping for someone who can interpret the the different 'measurement' criterea that each manufacturer uses.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Best case, someone had both and has already done some comparisons!!!

I guess I will have to go buy a light meter of some kind!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

txkaratedude

Newly Enlightened
As a newbie myself, I like to ask questions before I shell out $$$ too, so I think you're off the mark This-is-Nascar. Sharing info, thats what the forums are about. MikieHead was doing what EVERY newbie does- ask members who've already done it, as I'm sure YOU did when you were a noob!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
When I was a noobie and even now, I tend to perform a search before asking a question and even then I don't come off suggesting it's OK for me not to spend the bucks doing research and leaving it up to others.

At any rate, THE_dAY provide the link, so go at it.

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened
THANKS 'THE day'!! That is what I was hoping for to help make a decision. I guess I did not go back FAR enough in my search.

this is nascar - Your 'New Jersy' comes through loud and clear...

goldenlight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
When I was a noobie and even now, I tend to perform a search before asking a question and even then I don't come off suggesting it's OK for me not to spend the bucks doing research and leaving it up to others.

At any rate, THE_dAY provide the link, so go at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The CPF search function often turns up so many matches, it's virtually impossible to find the 1 or 2 posts that you are looking for. Do a search, ANY search, including 'Arc AAA' in it, and you'll likely get a thousand hits.

The Peak lights have also been written about extensively, and have a huge number of posts, as well.

I've tried searching out several things recently, only to run into this exact problem. Perhaps I don't know how to narrow down searches as well as you do.

TIN; your responses were needlessly mean and spiteful, to say the least, IMHO. He was only looking for information, which is why CPF exists, and you flamed him for it. Twice.

Nice. Very nice.

I hope when I'm looking for information I can't find, please ignore my post(s).

Thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Re: ARC P AAA vs. PEAK Matterhorn AAA 3LED Ultra

Please guys, keep it civil! Step back, and take a very deep breath. And then take a few more, it's good for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But seriously, please keep your posts kind and respectful.

Sarius

Newly Enlightened

Ok guys,

Here is a beam shot comparing the new Peak Matterhorn l led Ultra with the Matterhorn 3 led ultra. You might not realize that Peak has been quietly upgrading their lines and the new Matterhorn's seem to be significantly improved over the previous ones. I would expect the new 1 led Ultra to perform very similarly to the new Arc. Probably obvious, but 1 led on the right.

705150-Matterhorn%201%20vs%203.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic

I don't have the new Arc but the 3led Peak Ultra is a lot more powerful than the old Arc. On the other hand its battery life is sure to be a lot shorter. You can actually feel the Peak light getting warm (not uncomfortably so) if you let it run for a while. I never noticed that with the Arc.

You can get 5-7 hours of good light from the Arc, or maybe half that with the Peak.

scott

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
MikieHead said:this is nascar - Your 'New Jersy' comes through loud and clear...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Luxman

Enlightened

Another example:
I did a beamshot comparing the ARC-P AAA vs Peak 1LED AAA Ultra vs Peak N cell "H" Here . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LowWorm

Enlightened

Now THERE'S a helpful response...thanks, Sarius. I always appreciate it when those who have already bought the lights for whatever reasons are kind enough to take the time to take comparison shots for sharing.

It's just like greasing the wheels of commerce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif.

I've had my eye on the Matterhorn for some time, and with each new comparison shot I see, it gets more tempting.

Sarius

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Luxman said:
Another example:
I did a beamshot comparing the ARC-P AAA vs Peak 1LED AAA Ultra vs Peak N cell "H" Here
. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

According to 'Dallas A' from Peak, within the last month they started using a new improved LED. The two I ordered are with it. I think they might have made some improvements to the regulation also, but can't swear to it. Thus, the beamshots are with the new LED, and until someone with the 'old' model Peak gets a new one and does a side by side, it's hard to say, but based on what I've been reading, the improvement is substantial. So, if your Peak is over a month old, those beam shots are probably not going to reflect what will be delivered now.

I had ordered the flashlight based on the old specs, and when they arrived, sort of felt like I'd ordered a Toyota and was delivered a Lexus. In fact, I couldn't understand (wasn't complaining, mind you!) why what I was seeing was so superior to what the postings and reviews I'd read had led me to expect until I read Peak's posting in the manufacurer's corner.

Doug at Flashlightreview just got one of the 1 led new Matterhorn's to test, along with some other Peak models, and that review should be very interesting.

cy

Flashaholic

welcome to cpf mikihead, goldenlight

don't mind TIN, he's got the soft touch and subtle too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

he's a great guy to deal with and makes the nicest charts on cpf...

Luxman

Enlightened

Sarius,
Very interesting... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Looks like I need to get another one.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really like the Peak "U" I have - and the color is also very good. I do wonder what the "snow" color would look like??
[mine is white]
Which color did you order??

[Aleph 1 - on the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif]

Sarius

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Luxman said:
Sarius,
Very interesting... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Looks like I need to get another one.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really like the Peak "U" I have - and the color is also very good. I do wonder what the "snow" color would look like??
[mine is white]
Which color did you order??
]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Dallas A down in the Manufacturer's Corner, they are only shipping 'Snow' and have discontinued white. If your Peak U is more than a month old, you're in for a major treat. As I mentioned, I bought both the Aluminium HAIII single led U and the Stainless 3 led U, Matterhorns, both in the 'Pocket' design. I can't decide which I like better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

procure

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
[ QUOTE ]
MikieHead said:

[/ QUOTE ]

... so it OK for others to put out the cash to do the test in order for you to save some bucks. I could see where some would think that's fine. How about YOU purchase one of each, do a couple tests, take some pictures and post your results here for others to learn from.

I'll be looking forward to your results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up. There's nothing wrong with asking around before making a purchase. It's called smart shopping. How about next time you're looking for a car, buy a few models, see which one you like best, and discard the others.