Comparison Of Two AA Luxeon Torches

dirobesh

Enlightened
Having decided to buy a couple of torches to use up my mountain of AA NiMh batteries. I thought I'd post a quick mini review of them in case anyone is thinking along similar lines.

The first torch in the picture is the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon, and the second one is the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon.

Both torches have a thumb-operated "clicky" type switch on the end of the barrel. The Jr. Luxeon has no protection around the switch and consequently will not stand on end whereas the ProPolymer is semi protected, thus enabling it to stand up, whilst not interfering too much with the operation of the clicky.

On my 2 torches at least, the Jr. Luxeon switch is quite stiff to operate, making the thumb tired if you only want to hold the switch half-in, for momentary use only. On the other hand, the ProPolymer clicky takes very little pressure at all to engage momentary use - so little that it would be definitely advisable to remove the batteries if carrying it in a bag/suitcase etc. In my opinion, the Jr. Luxeon swith is stiff enough to not have to worry about removing the batteries.

Battery changing could be a bit of a hassle for the ProPolymer if you had to do it in the dark as you have to remove the lamp assembly as well as the top and remember which way to put the 4 batteries in the torch (1 side positve down, the other side positive up). The lamp assembly can only be place in the torch correctly, so there's no problem there.

The regulation of the output on both torches is excellent and is very stable.

a100_0208.jpg

This is a photo of the relative outputs from about 6 feet away, Jr. Luxeon on the left, ProPolymer on the right.

The ProPolymer is the whitest luxeon I have ever seen - FINALLY my number came up in the Luxeon Lottery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The Jr. Luxeon is by no means a duffer - it's just looks a creamy beige colour in comparison.

The photo really doesn't show the side spill of the ProPolymer, but as this has already been posted in another review, I thought I'd just condentrate on the differing output levels, which I believe the phot has captured pretty accurately.

d100_0206.jpg

In conclusion, both torches are excellent, the Jr. Luxeon for general around the house, backyard usage, and the ProPolymer for when a good bit of throw is needed.

It's hard to imagine just how much brighter the ProPolymer is,than the Jr. Luxeon. If you only go for one, get the ProPolymer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Nice comparison! Both of these lights are on my short list. Is this the newer Junior Luxeon regulated for 4 hours runtime?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and beam shots dirobesh. The Jr. Lux looks like a very smooth output with no hot spot. Very interesting. I have to restrain myself not to order them both today. Looks like a nice team of lights.

dirobesh

Enlightened
The Jr. doesn't really have any hot spot, it's a very good torch for close to medium lighting needs, whereas the ProPolymer is superb for long(ish) distance, but far too intense to be practical for close up usage.